Scammell

DIG:

robert1952:
Scammell R8. Robert

Hi Robert does the R8 Molasses tanker have 40x8 tires,it looks like them i recall when i started at BRS Corby in1963 there was one truck in the fleet an Atkinson 8 wheeler that had those tires,do you or one of our learned friends know if there was a difference in the stud pattern or the brake drum sizes that meant they had to be fitted with that size tire and rim?

Cheers Dig

I don’t know about drum sizes Dig , but I drove an ancient FG Foden in 1966/7 on 40x8s with a dizzying top speed of 34 mph . If that had been put on 900x20s milk floats would have passed it .Dave

Thanks for your replies Franky. :smiley:
After doing a bit of a search this is the type of livery that I was thinking of.

Regards Steve.

I always liked the look of the Scarab ,they had character unlike all the modern crap now.
Used to see them at train stations.

(Click on pages twice to read)

An interesting article DEANB, I always liked to see these little artics whizzing around, the rigid version must have been a handy tool too. I had an idea the cab had O Series connections, I was considering building a Scarab from the Bedford model kit but decided with making up the coupling gear, converting the cab would then add extra time to the build.
Cheers Franky.

adr:
I delivered to King Trailers, Market Harborough earlier this week, after I had filled their Liquid Oxygen tank I went to see the chap for a signature & found this little beauty parked inside (they have the original trailer too), 1 of the blokes who works there has bought it, he got it off a farmer who has been using it for who knows how many years carrying various animal feeds etc up & down the road & round his farm. She runs perfectly, Perkins powered, & was originally new to Hodgson Tannery. Chris

Thats an amazing find Chris !! Looks in bloody good Nick bearing in mind how old it is. Looks like the
farmer must have looked after it well unless King Trailers did some restoration work on it.

DEANB:

adr:
I delivered to King Trailers, Market Harborough earlier this week, after I had filled their Liquid Oxygen tank I went to see the chap for a signature & found this little beauty parked inside (they have the original trailer too), 1 of the blokes who works there has bought it, he got it off a farmer who has been using it for who knows how many years carrying various animal feeds etc up & down the road & round his farm. She runs perfectly, Perkins powered, & was originally new to Hodgson Tannery. Chris

Thats an amazing find Chris !! Looks in bloody good Nick bearing in mind how old it is. Looks like the
farmer must have looked after it well unless King Trailers did some restoration work on it.

DeanB/ADR,
That Scarab was owned by Saviem and yes he used it collect building materials and attended local shows with it,

pete smith:

DEANB:

adr:

DeanB/ADR,
That Scarab was owned by Saviem and yes he used it collect building materials and attended local shows with it,

That explains why it was in such good nick then ! cheers Pete.

I spotted this unit and another less than 10 min drive from home here in West Aus, I worked for Leyland Truck div here in Perth soon after arriving and remember these 2 and I think 2 more being part assembled in the Perth workshops,They were badged Contractors and powered by 335 ■■■■■■■ road ranger g/box and hub reduction Leyland rear end,i believe they went to one of Western Minings haul road operations.

Cheers Dig

DIG:
I spotted this unit and another less than 10 min drive from home here in West Aus, I worked for Leyland Truck div here in Perth soon after arriving and remember these 2 and I think 2 more being part assembled in the Perth workshops,They were badged Contractors and powered by 335 ■■■■■■■ road ranger g/box and hub reduction Leyland rear end,i believe they went to one of Western Minings haul road operations.

Cheers Dig

Dig, Is that a 8 wheeler chassis ■■ Cant quite make it out but looks like 2 axles at the front and i assume
2 at the back ■■ I wonder if it was a tipper rather than a tractor unit ? I dont recall ever seeing a 8 wheeler
contractor before !

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

Dig, Is that a 8 wheeler chassis ■■ Cant quite make it out but looks like 2 axles at the front and i assume
2 at the back ■■ I wonder if it was a tipper rather than a tractor unit ? I dont recall ever seeing a 8 wheeler
contractor before !

Your correct DEANB, I recall them on the assembly line in Perth and I think the 2 nd steer axle was fitted there also fairly sure they had 2 side by side radiators and they left Perth as Prime movers.
Dig

DIG:

DEANB:

DIG:

Cheers Dig

contractor before !

Your correct DEANB, I recall them on the assembly line in Perth and I think the 2 nd steer axle was fitted there also fairly sure they had 2 side by side radiators and they left Perth as Prime movers.
Dig

Thanks Dig,any chance of a pic showing the whole truck as thats definately a rare old motor ? :unamused:

Talking of unusual motors i saw this pic on a forum that states its a scammell routeman with a 150 gardner
and was plated at 32 tons. The only other info was that the cab was coach built in Carlisle. I dont recall ever
seeing a scammell like this. If it is infact called a routemean then i assume that this was an earlier cab or
prototype of the traditional routeman cab that we are all familiar with ■■ Can anyone confirm if it is a
scammell ■■?

scammell routeman gardner 150 plated 32 tons cab coachbuilt in carlisle.PNG

Fantastic find Dig,

I wish I’d found it when I was living over West,where do you live?

It’s one of seven supplied to DFD Rhodes of the Rhodes Ridley truck fame. They were all eightlegger Contractors,six body trucks and one prime mover and they were used for carting Manganese on the tough 400km dirt track from the Woodie Woodie mine in the Pilbara to Port Headland. The prime mover towed a large float/low loader and the body trucks pulled two trailers.

I believe that all six were fitted with AEC AV1100 six cylinder motors with 15 speed Fullers. There was talk of one being restored from two in Geraldton a few years ago,but I don’t know what happened with them?

The Western Mining Contractors that you mentioned were fitted with 400 ■■■■■■■ I think and were indeed fitted with twin radiators which gave them a much bigger grill.

Thanks mate,any chance of a few more pics?

This was originally a 1964 Scammell Routeman 8 legger which was cut down because the chassis snapped in two.
It was powered by a Gardner 150 and had covered approx 1 million miles by the time this picture was taken at Trafford Park.
The cab was made and fitted in Carlisle and was fitted with two 50 gallon Dodge tanks had power steering and was plated at 32 tons.
AWH 700B pictured above was one of a pair that were converted to tractor units after their chassis’s snapped the other being XNB 400.

Doesn’t look too bad a cab design and it seems to have kept the screen glass, rear quarter glass and headlights from the Routeman, maybe the old cabs were a bit shabby so they decided to have bespoke ones made. A few Scammell pics below from my collection. Franky.

moomooland:
This was originally a 1964 Scammell Routeman 8 legger which was cut down because the chassis snapped in two.
It was powered by a Gardner 150 and had covered approx 1 million miles by the time this picture was taken at Trafford Park.
The cab was made and fitted in Carlisle and was fitted with two 50 gallon Dodge tanks had power steering and was plated at 32 tons.
AWH 700B pictured above was one of a pair that were converted to tractor units after their chassis’s snapped the other being XNB 400.

Thanks for the history of that moomooland !

Scammell routeman article.(Click on pages twice to magnify for reading.)

I used these photo’s for reference when I built a Routeman Blue Circle model and noticed he’d fitted his rear marker boards incorrectly but someone must have put him right as they were correct when I saw the vehicle at Gaydon later, he made a nice job of the restoration. My model below. Franky.

moomooland:

You’ve just jolted my old brain cell there as I recall when I was on the Octopus and trailer at Brady’s we came across one of those Bolton Roadways “motors” on the A74 and I recall my mate Eric exclaiming " What the ■■■■■■■ hell is that" or words to that effect ! Happy Days cheers Bewick.

moomooland:

Why does this remind me of Trigger’s brush?

John.

One of four that were destined for the New Zealand Army.