Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pete smith:
Hi Fergie/Saviem, What is this one? Cheer’s Pete ( sorry if it has been on before but too many pages to look through)

Pete…Well, its definitely a Willeme with possibly a ■■■■■■■ going by the badge, but also looks to have had the cab heightened, hence the double set of twin headlights, maybe to accommodate a bigger ■■■■■■■ or even a different engine…guessing she’s a bit of a one off…the Professors will know for sure…looks like it could handle a fair load though…

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Hi Fergie/Saviem, What is this one? Cheer’s Pete ( sorry if it has been on before but too many pages to look through)

Pete…Well, its definitely a Williem, with possibly a ■■■■■■■ going by the badge, but also looks to have had the cab heightened, hence the double set of twin headlights, maybe to accommodate a bigger ■■■■■■■ or even a different engine…guessing she’s a bit of a one off…the Professors will know for sure…looks like it could handle a fair load though…

Cheer’s for info Fergie, between yourself and Saviem your steering me to the other side of the channel! It is the “brave” styling what has caught my eye and since you started posting your pic’s I never knew these vehicles existed :smiley: Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Pete…Well, its definitely a Williem, with possibly a ■■■■■■■ going by the badge, but also looks to have had the cab heightened, hence the double set of twin headlights, maybe to accommodate a bigger ■■■■■■■ or even a different engine…guessing she’s a bit of a one off…the Professors will know for sure…looks like it could handle a fair load though…

Cheer’s for info Fergie, between yourself and Saviem your steering me to the other side of the channel! It is the “brave” styling what has caught my eye and since you started posting your pic’s I never knew these vehicles existed :smiley: Cheer’s Pete

Some beautiful lorries in France in the 50’s, 60’s and into the 70’s, then along came the Eurobox, individuality went out the window, now they all look the same…

Pete

Here’s a standard Willeme, with an A.E.C engine…see the difference in the cab to the PIC you posted

download.jpg

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Some beautiful lorries in France in the 50’s, 60’s and into the 70’s, then along came the Eurobox, individuality went out the window, now they all look the same…

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in new trucks, as you say they all look the same, full of plastic and electronic’s!

Fergie47:
Pete

Here’s a standard Willeme, with an A.E.C engine…see the difference in the cab to the PIC you posted

I can see what you mean about the raised cab, looks like they have used the bottom section of a standard cab, should be able to see in the dark with all those headlamps though

While we’re on Willeme, they also ■■■■■■■ with BMC …recognise these 2…?

download (2).jpg

download (1).jpg

Fergie47:

I never knew that Fergie, were they desperate? :smiley:

pete smith:

Fergie47:

I never knew that Fergie, were they desperate? :smiley:

I posted a pic of a Mack on here recently, with a Crusader cab, you’d be amazed who collaborated with who… :wink:

pete smith:

That looks neat enough to be a factory job to me. I went for a look for more, without success. I found lots of other interesting motors, though:
google.co.uk/search?q=wille … AWsQsAQIGw
forum-auto.com/automobile-pr … -34440.htm
forum-auto.com/automobile-pr … -23450.htm

What was the WR8 prototype for?

Well done for all the info, lads. Like Pete, and not having travelled too much across La Manche, I had no idea that our European cousins were using such different machinery to ours. It’s fascinating to see the French vehicles from the 50s and 60s, before the plasticine Renault cabs became the norm.
Keep them coming, chaps- they may not all have been pretty but they were certainly different!

Evening all,

Pete, ROF, all our thanks are due to Fergie, and Michel, whose joint photographic collection is really remarkable, plus all the other contributors who chip in with quite remarkable pictures. I feel an absolute idiot that I do not contribute in the photographic field…its hard enough mastering a keyboard I can tell you. But these pictures really get my little grey cells going, its a bit like starting a film show, the memories, both of vehicles, and operators really flood back. I hope that I do not bore you with the bits I write about.

Pete, Willeme from Nanterre Seine, founded by Louis Willeme after WW1 reconditioning Liberty lorries, created a market amongst the small and medium sized hauliers in France by providing quality, reliable lorries at an affordable price. All powered by Deutz licenced 4,6, and straight 8 engines, sharing identical bore and stroke measurements.

They even turbocharged the T6 6 cylinders in the late 60s to 240 hp, an absolute disaster, (as were the efforts of Frances largest manufacturer Berliet). It could have been that oil technology could not advance enough, but the results were diabolical. Willemes sons sought a partner, who could give them big power, (All French manufacturers were looking for 200 hp for 35 tonnes gtw in 1960), so turned to AEC, and the result was the .690, and later .760 powered ranges. Also the Willeme range was deepened by an alliance with BMHs BMC ranges, (quite succesfully as well). But Willeme`s production totally hand built, ran at about 400 plus per year, a low volume, (and similar to Arcuil built Bernard with their Gardner licence built engines).

Then in the UK came the Leyland AEC takeover/merger. Leyland had lined up with Hotchkiss in France, so Willeme was out! Willeme struggled, then rolled over. Its heavy hitter range the TGs licence was obtained by Paris based Perez et Raimond the GM Detroit Diesel, Allison importer, (whose engines had powered the TGs in the main, (although there were ■■■■■■■ KTA and Mercedes V10 Versions as well) 150/1000tonnes gtw. 6X4, &8x4, 8x8 versions.

All sitting under a Cottard, from Bourg en Bresse Horizon cab, and later a similar version built by Royanne, Rennes based Georges Pelpel, (but the latter tilted). Beautiful driving enviroment, the wheel sat low in your lap, and the gear lever was an easy reach to your right hand. The cab, although basic trim by contemporary standards was a quiet work place, (given that the standard 35 tonne power plant gave a heady 190 hp)!, so a bit of right foot was needed!

The tractors had a very tight turning circle, and rode smoothly due to their long leaf springs…and the heating and ventilation was good…(outstanding for the 60s)! Lovely lorries, my dealers were still taking them in part exchange back in the 70s, and cab happy me, was always getting them down the road! But the ones that Daniel Wauthier from Carvin ran, in bright purple, with a screaming, stonking V8 ■■■■■ of delight were something else…could awaken the cowboy in a funeral director!!!

Now that worn out, tired Renaudin example that Pete shows, (the big fifth wheel with its 3.5 in pin should give you a clue)…under that Cottard cab lies the bulk of an 18 litre KTA @450 hp…a lot for 61......and as that was a retro fit a section of the cab was added by the converters. On the TGs the cab , (the Pelpel version), was mounted far higher........and what a superb "heavy hitter" they were. Inspired Mercedes to create their 8x8s.........and a dream to drive, with their Clark auto boxes, quick steering, tremendous manoueverability, and stable ride...........but for sheer "woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee", you should have driven Transports Mayers Detroit powered examples from their Nancy yard…13 speed fullers, 200 tonnes…could you move your wrist as fast as she wants to go?..There has never ever been a better “real” drivers lorry!

Anorak, the WR8, now there is a long story, M Michelin lies at its core, and the weird creations to test her tyres. Straight 8, a roof from a Citroen DS, quick steering, 200kph potential…fully weighted at 19 tonnes back in the 50s! But then came the 10 wheeler Twin V8 Chrysler powered creations based on the glamerous Citroen SM, with their 250kph potential…and later the 10 wheeled XM Citroen versions…M Michelin could really design "hooligan " lorries!!!

Another story for another night

Cheerio for now.

Hi Fergie,
Hope you don’t mind me moving one of your photographs, but this is the kind of styling which caught my eye, flamboyant,brave or futuristic? Michel posted a photo of a fridge truck with a similar designed cab but the headlamps were set in the wings, where these popular or did they just enjoy a short production run?
Saviem,
Whilst browsing through this thread I notice you mentioned Quasi-arc in Bilston,this was where the Stag Ind Est is now and Bilston Clutch Centre is where the loading bays where? They used to have Albion HD57 8 wheelers in a shade of purple? and before you think I have a time machine my Dad told me!!

3101638177_2_3_Qz2Nkh1G.jpg

Nothing like the old Brigg’s cabs that we endured, Pete?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Nothing like the old Brigg’s cabs that we endured, Pete?

A 1974 Bison and Leyland G cabbed Clydesdale for me ROF, I was only 5 year old when the first lorry I drove was put on road, but the firm liked to get full use out of them so when I passed my test in 1987 under the young drivers scheme that was the first truck I had,VDA 752M cab was as rotten as a pear!!

Evening all,

Pete, you are making me feel old! After the Albions Quasi Arc went out to contract transport, supplied by Reg Cooper from Moxley. 28ft Boden Box Van trailer, every night down to Murex in Hemel. British Oxygen were the parent of both outfits. Quasi Arc were instrumental in the development of the “Chobam Armour”, for armoured fighting vehicles, and pioneered Laser Plasma cutting of steel…not bad for a Bilston firm!

But that Cottard “Boule” cab that you like, a mixture of GRP and steel. Did not tilt, (we are back in 58 remember). Those rearwood sloping door windows were a trademark feature of Bourg en Bresse based Cottard, normally seen on their handsome integral van bodies, refrigerated and dry freight. Royanne based Georges Pelpel copied Cottards design, and in some ways improved it, became a standard production item to be fitted to any chassis, (as years later Gerald Broadbent did with his one severn liner bodies).

Now Fergie loves Charbonneauxs design that became the "Television cab" as fitted to Bernards 185hp Gardner licenced powered 35 tonners of the 60s. Personally I am torn, having driven , (worn) “Boule cab” Saviems, and far newer Television cab Bernards, but the Boule really was spectacular, and its mouldings, and of greater value, its doors stayed firm! Those windscreen views were clear, and unlike Boalloys early fibreglass cabs the dashboard did not have a life of its own!!! They were tight!

But for sheer presence the Television has it…high, wide and handsome…everything that Trevor Dudley wanted from the Guy Invincible cab…but somehow Georges Pelpel`s workforce achieved a greater solidarity of construction with their GRP/Steel composite construction! Remember, both cabs were originally conceived to tilt…but the limits of technology relating to the material used precluded this!

Not so with the Willeme Horizon cab in its final form, following the closure of Cottard, Pelpel used the basic structure and produced the most handsome, (and driver friendly), version. This was later to grace the TG heavy hitters.

But there were other French cab masters, those of Frappa, with their elegant flowing lines on the handsome Bernard bonneted ranges. Sheer class, many operated by Transports Borca on the Frigidaire Contract…

But that Boule…when I was at Mack I was taken to see the “stillborne” Euro Mack, destined to be produced from Bernards facility in `62…a Thermodyne engine nestling so comfortably beneath a Cottard Boule cab…now that would have been some motor…and would have helped Mack gain credibility in the French market place…

Im away to a very large Bollinger, and to dream about those real drivers cabs that France produced!!!

Cheerio for now.

The last Pelpel tilt cab in a Willeme LF 201 with AV 691 AEC engine.

Notice that the cab is higher than normal,perhaps the engine is a GM or a Scania V8.

Restored by Mr Calsat , a true British Willeme-BMC F140:

michel:

Notice that the cab is higher than normal,perhaps the engine is a GM or a Scania V8.

Hi Michel, excuse my ignorance but is this a Willeme and did they fit Scania gearbox as well? Cheer’s Pete