Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

pv83:

Fergie47:

pete smith:
[
Mr Whips,
If you fired anything form that recycled bean can you would be doing 80 mph in reverse!
Yes I agree with Dave that humour has been lacking over the last year, no shows to attend, travel restrictions (especially to Brittany area) but one good thing I have achieved is I’ve packed the ■■■■ in for over 4 months now and not had any booze for over 6 months.
Dave,
I have been receiving emails from Brittany Ferries regarding special offers so hopefully later in the year we can have a catch up, it could do with being this year as the VW is now approaching 100,000 miles so will be sold in the next few months and the company is going electric so I’ll probably end up with a milk float!
John’s memorial plaque was down to Norah and Anne-Marie and I do apologise for not thinking of posting it on here, it is nearly 5 years since John passed away.
Take Care all of you who post on here

Hi Pierre.
Nice to hear from you mate… Bonus if you’ve quit the ■■■■ and ale, congratulations, bet its been hard eh ? but that’s some achievement both at once, keep it up buddy…
Even a simple trip to France has become a nightmare, certainly looking forward to seeing you both again, guess you’ll need an extra 3 days each way in a EV, at least we’ve got 2 charging points in the village if you cant make it the last 400 mts to ours… :wink:

Hope when all this covid crap is settled to see a few more over too. fingers crossed…

Kisses to Nicki, normal slap on the head to you…keep safe, talk soon

Good to hear you’ve been off the booze and ■■■■ for that long already mate, keep it up! Erm… I was going to say keep her lit, but that might go down the wrong way…

Can’t you buy that T6? As a milkfloat doesn’t really suit you? :laughing:

2 charging points in the village Senior■■? Who said rural France was still stuck in medieval times eh!

Morning Dave,
No good me having an electric motor as the first thing I would do is drive off with the plug attached! The last electric thing I drove was a Lansing Bagnall 1 ton fork lift 40 years ago!
We’ve got somewhere in North Wales pencilled in for September was supposed to have been Devon as it is our 10th wedding anniversary (so I’ve been told!) but everything down there is fully booked. If travelling to France in September is feasible then I’ll get Whips bound and gagged in the back of the motor and we will see if there are any dancing dogs around!
Patrick,
Buy the T6? what is this word buy as it is not in my vocabulary?!
That T6 is too heavy on the fuel mate, 34.1 mpg sitting at 62 mph on the motorway, 70 mph around 27 mpg and down to 23 mpg hoofing it at 80+ mph.
Still a nice motor though and very sure footed in the bit of snow we had recently being 4 motion. I would gladly have my Vauxhall Combo back as that didn’t need cleaning inside or out and I know you liked that motor when I took you shopping in it :smiley:

pv83:
We all might have different opinions on what’s stylish or not… but this one right here ticks all the boxes!

This is an unique Bernard specially built with an aluminium cab for Bourgey-Montreuil. I must have some information about it somewhere; just give me time to look for it…

pv83:
Who knows more about this? Was it part of a nothern African expedition?

Its written “service régulier” above the first truck’s windscreen, meaning it’s a regular service (goods and/or passengers) across the French Sahara. The trucks may be Lancia taken from the Italian army.

Dipster:

pv83:
Never would have thought that Bonduelle was that old…

My wife has a lovely book that explains the origins and history of old-established French brands. Many, many of the brands we know today are actually very old companies. At least the brand names are!

That would be a interesting read I reckon, some brands have been around for ages, and I for one, never fully realised it.

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

Biskra is in Algeria, if that’s any help! Ro

Froggy55:

pv83:

Its written “service régulier” above the first truck’s windscreen, meaning it’s a regular service (goods and/or passengers) across the French Sahara. The trucks may be Lancia taken from the Italian army.

Cheers :wink:

pete smith:

pv83:

Fergie47:

pv83:
I found a great introduction to the Turbostar! Click on the link;

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sCfuKm_UVpw&feature=share

Whips

Working at an Iveco agents in 1990 we supplied one to a local O. D. Graham Richardson, red, with chrome stacks and bumper, the dogs.
After preparation we took it out with a fully freighted tr-axle test trailer, bearing in mind its 30 years ago and 480 was a lot of horses then. There was steep hill near the yard and that thing was the only motor that I’d driven that you could change up through the gears going UP the hill, a scary amount of power… Years later I saw it parked up near Southampton water, semi-derelict and looking so sad, certainly one to have saved for prosperity. I’ve got a book on the history of Fiat / Iveco, the development story of the V8 is in it, interesting reading.

Engine wise they were probably on top of their game, they never really got on with the “big boys” though for some reason. Was that because of the building quality of the cab? A gentleman from Wolverhampton said recently “it’s made of cheese”…

Sounds like an interesting read Senior, I’ll have a look on this internet thingie, see if I can find it.

Who is this Gent from Wolverhampton?
Only had a few days in a 190-30 and a 190-36 and even the 300’s were very willing engines, comfortable but at only 3 years old the rot had set in around the back of the cabs and wheel arches. The quality of the interior trim fitting was very poor which was a shame really as I thought they drove really well, never had anything to do with the V8’s as it was the wages that was important not the badge!

You bloody well know who Wolverhampton’s finest is mate!

Pity they never sorted the quality of the interior out, I think they’ve sorted the rest out now though?

Froggy55:

pv83:
We all might have different opinions on what’s stylish or not… but this one right here ticks all the boxes!

This is an unique Bernard specially built with an aluminium cab for Bourgey-Montreuil. I must have some information about it somewhere; just give me time to look for it…

A one-off then? No need to rush things mate, take your time :wink:

One to keep the Duke happy…

Bloody hell!.. It just gets worse.

Art for art’s sake if you ask me…I can’t recall ever seeing as many far motors in such a short space of time.

A basking shark can be forgiven for its appearance as it was designed by nature, but this abortion can hardly use that as an excuse.

That said, despite its appearance it would probably make a half tidy camper van.

Eddie Heaton:
Bloody hell!.. It just gets worse.

Art for art’s sake if you ask me…I can’t recall ever seeing as many far motors in such a short space of time.

A basking shark can be forgiven for its appearance as it was designed by nature, but this abortion can hardly use that as an excuse.

That said, despite its appearance it would probably make a half tidy camper van.

This one was definitely designed to catch the eye-it is a publicity vehicle in every sense, advertising a newspaper. I find it grotesque.

I think it was part of the “Tour de France” cycling race. Bernard for the chassis, and Charbonneaux for the coachwork.

Somua tractor; early thirties.

Froggy55:

Somua tractor; early thirties.

what do you reckon’s in that tank then ? , nice drop of red going by where he comes from .
garage we used to use in montelimar serviced wine tankers, during the service drained the dregs out the tank, nice drop of free red.
tony

No mention about its contents but, considering it was based in the Bordeaux area, it could indeed be wine. Funny detail, the owner’s name, Bruletout, means 'burns anything". I don’t think a tanker with such a high gravity centre would be admitted today, but back in the thirties, I guess such a truck coulnd’nt exceed 25 mph.

Pub Brossel Europ.jpg
The Belgian truck & bus manufacturer Brossel had agreements with Leyland. In 1961, they offered this model “Europ”, fitted with a somewhat personnalised version of the LAD cab.

And also this bus A 92 (1962-67), bodied by Jonckheere and powered by an O 400 Leyland engine.
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brossel_A92_DAR-L

Brussels exhibition in the 50 th.

Nice pictures! Probably before 1955, when Delahaye taken over by Hotchkiss, and Latil merged with renault and Somua to make Saviem.

Just seen this for sale at K3 its a 1931 Renault KZ 5, Buzzer

I’m just wondering if it’s going to climb the ramps by its own means?

Froggy55:
I’m just wondering if it’s going to climb the ramps by its own means?

The winch is just out of side Paul, so people might think it’s up and running :wink: