Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Lorries that look right…in perspective, with trailers, sign written. colours…just neat and tidy.

[zb]
anorak:
Cheer yourself up with this:
zeydermaquettes.skyrock.com/331 … ision.html

Quite a few TVs in preservation now. The more the better.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Down the graveyards

Fergie47:
Lorries that look right…in perspective, with trailers, sign written. colours…just neat and tidy.

The Volvo is the winner no doubt Senior :wink:

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:
Any thoughts about the make of this one? Going by the shape of the bonnet I would say Mack B series, but I’m not sure.

tyldenheritage.com.au/l-mode … -1956.html

Mack L series seems to be the best match for it.

Cheers Anorak :wink:

pv83:

Fergie47:

+1 to that. It’s like a piece of jewellery, with that polished tank behind it. It’s not often “custom trucks” look tasteful, but that one does.

Fergie47:

Fergie47:
Anorak et froggy…somewhere on this thread, John (Saviem) did a great write up of the Bernard 8 wheeler…in the early '60’s it was an advanced lorry, with air suspension and disc brakes, alas French legislation put an end to it…also on here, I posted up a model a guy had done of it, it was superb considering it was done from scratch….as for the rust problem I put a couple of pics off one that had been abandoned in a field somewhere, only recognisable by the port hole window, it had completely disintegrated… if i come across the articles, I’ll repost them…
Fergie

Found the pics…sad init… :cry:

Sad sight to behold indeed… :open_mouth:

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:

Fergie47:

+1 to that. It’s like a piece of jewellery, with that polished tank behind it. It’s not often “custom trucks” look tasteful, but that one does.

We’ll, I am a Volvo man… however, I’d have to go for the Bussing, specious cab, and under the floor engine, so both quiet and comfortable… also, its red and green, one of the best colour combinations for a wagon too… :wink:

PV 83, you are right, it’s a Renault base with a Ponticelli cab, normally used for refuse lorries. Perhaps this one was from they own fleet as they also have an important crane division. The founder came from Italy and was a survivor from the first war.

michel:
PV 83, you are right, it’s a Renault base with a Ponticelli cab, normally used for refuse lorries. Perhaps this one was from they own fleet as they also have an important crane division. The founder came from Italy and was a survivor from the first war.

Merci beaucoup Michel :wink:

In France BP was not connected with Shell, here a Panhard tank lorry from the 50 th.

Two for Anorak. Can’t remember whether we’ve seen these. First one says Volvo on the description which is a bit vague. NMPs

Ta for those. I’ve seen the cab of the first one before. IIRC, lots of Volvos had one like it, in the days before the TipTop. The second one is new to me.

[zb]
anorak:
Ta for those. I’ve seen the cab of the first one before. IIRC, lots of Volvos had one like it, in the days before the TipTop. The second one is new to me.

The cab of the 2nd one is reminiscent of the bodywork of Dutch municipal buses of the period.

Ro

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

The cab of the 2nd one is reminiscent of the bodywork of Dutch municipal buses of the period.

Ro

Plenty of Dutch forward-control cab conversions used the front panels of buses:

I think the first one is actually a Swedish coachbuilder, which is unusual, since the vast majority of Swedish forward control conversions were done in the Netherlands.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Ro

Plenty of Dutch forward-control cab conversions used the front panels of buses:

I think the first one is actually a Swedish coachbuilder, which is unusual, since the vast majority of Swedish forward control conversions were done in the Netherlands.

Not so very different from the ‘tin-front’ leylands and AECs of the '60s if you think about it. The AEC Regent V and the Mandator / Mercury etc Mk 5 shared much of the frontal characteristics; as indeed did the LAD cab Leylands and the ‘St Helens’ fronted Titan PD2s and 3s. I used to jokingly call my PD2 a LAD-cabbed double-decker.

I still wonder why truck manufacturers didn’t take inspiration in these Dutch cabs? What an improvement compared to standard cabs of the 50s and 60s!

Same (Italy) is better know for its farming equipment, but they did produce a few trucks, most of them fitted with odd-shaped cabs.

Delivering fish in the old Halles in Paris, Saviem SM 240 and behind a 6x2 Saviem JL20V.

A short clip from 1973:
youtube.com/watch?v=MfzZytGvr6I

Towards the end, there is a vehicle in the livery of Boone International. Anyone remember them?