Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

The Fuso 5 axle lorry is quite a popular configuration in Uganda.

We saw this chap catching a lift on this small lorry - running along and then jumping on the back as the lorry passed through a village. He stayed on the back for about 6 or 7 kilometres, before jumping off when the lorry slowed down for speed bumps at a village. Speed bumps are placed at the entrance and exit to most towns and villages.

Keep the Uganda travelogue going- of course, we could all research the country on the infinite internet, but it’s better to hear it from a known correspondent. :smiley:

How long are the bodies on those 5 axle rigids?

The place looks quite pleasant. How much is a detached bungalow on one of those lush green hills? :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
Keep the Uganda travelogue going- of course, we could all research the country on the infinite internet, but it’s better to hear it from a known correspondent. :smiley:

How long are the bodies on those 5 axle rigids?

The place looks quite pleasant. How much is a detached bungalow on one of those lush green hills? :laughing:

Shame on me, I have no idea how long the 5 axle rigids were, but I did see a few that were even longer.

Bungalows can be cheap, but if you are near the capital, then quite expensive.

Here is a method the Brits should consider for keeping dry on a motorbike. Rather creative…

Nmp

8F65080B-0855-4467-8A0B-45EA11F35F7B.jpeg

This was an army lorry we met on route in Uganda

Local deliveries…

Pile it high…

Roads look good - from a Cornish Perspective :laughing:

Saviem JL20 fridge body.

jsutherland:

Local deliveries…

Pile it high…

The army truck looks Russian.

jsutherland:
Here is a method the Brits should consider for keeping dry on a motorbike. Rather creative…

What about the wide load? No marker boards, no flashing lights…

Froggy55:

jsutherland:

Local deliveries…

Pile it high…

I reckon it’s a ZIL Paul.

Johnny, did you see the air intake on the white Scania, it’s mounted on the side of the cab, is that a standard thing fitted by Scania when they sell their products there?

pv83:

Froggy55:

jsutherland:

Local deliveries…

Pile it high…

Johnny, did you see the air intake on the white Scania, it’s mounted on the side of the cab, is that a standard thing fitted by Scania when they sell their products there?

A good observation Heer Patrick. I had a look at a few of my other pictures and quite a number of them do have the air vent mounted on the side of the cab.

Here are a couple of Mercedes with the air vent mounted on the side of the cab as well.

This is one of about 20 wagons that were running in convoy with flashing lights warning a dangerous cargo was being transported.

whisperingsmith:
Roads look good - from a Cornish Perspective :laughing:

The roads in this area (south west Uganda) were quite good. Then we headed north up the west coast of Uganda - parallel to the Congo border. This is the main road, with as good as no sign posts. I had downloaded Google maps for offline use before I headed to Uganda and it work really well, apart from the journey duration estimations. They were a tad optimistic :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

When ever I met a lorry coming towards me when it got a tad narrow on these roads, I always pulled over and stopped. The stones hitting the windscreen were scary enough when stopped…

I was obviously going too slow for this driver…

jsutherland:
Here are a couple of Mercedes with the air vent mounted on the side of the cab as well.

This is one of about 20 wagons that were running in convoy with flashing lights warning a dangerous cargo was being transported.

That’s where the air intake was on an Actros:

That one looks like it’s just about to embark on its journey across the Med.

The MP1 Actros looks better than the current model, I reckon. The 6x4 on the front of that container is almost truck ■■■■. :smiley:

Transporting some cattle, and a few passengers, with a Fuso which were probably the most popular 4 wheeler lorry.

jsutherland:

pv83:

Froggy55:

jsutherland:
Local deliveries…
Pile it high…

A good observation Heer Patrick. I had a look at a few of my other pictures and quite a number of them do have the air vent mounted on the side of the cab.

Well, on the Merc’s it’s normal, but not on the Scania, as they’ve integrated the air intake in the design of the cab, that’s why it stood out for me Johnny.

Old Renault :

Brand new! Probably photographed just outside the coachbuilder where it received its body.

Renault with seldom cab.

I wonder why they kept the full roof and back panel on the Seldom cab? Seems like a waste of material and added unladen weight.

Note the flaps on the side of the bonnet- the front two appear to be hinged at the rear, the rear ones at the front, presumably for cooling. I guess there is one for each cylinder, maybe for access to decompression valves or something?