Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Thoughts anyone…?

PV83:
Thoughts anyone…?

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Saviem’s Fan Club. Page 236 . Leyland Royal Tiger Motorcoach-Bus Chassis Of The 1950s-1960s .VALKYRIE .Sunday,30th September,2018.

Leyland Royal Tiger,Underfloor-Engined,Flat-Bodied,4x2 Lorry - 1950s-1960s motorcoach and bus chassis model adapted as a lorry.PV83. 1#

.Leyland Royal Tiger,Underfloor-Engined,Flat-Bodied,4x2 Lorry - 1950s-1960s motorcoach and bus chassis model adapted as a lorry.PV83. 1#.jpg

VALKYRIE :slight_smile:

pv83:
Thoughts anyone…?

Büssing, by the badge, and what looks like an underslung engine. …perhaps. … :unamused:

pv83:
Thoughts anyone…?

Bus chassis from a Bussing with a underfloor engine.

pv83:

[zb]
anorak:
3 pics below the odd Citroen, what is going on with the 6x4 Berliet (model no?) tipper/trailer outfit? It looks like it is carrying a trailer in kit form. Perhaps our resident heavy haulage expert will have some idea?
[/quote/

Was wondering about that too Anorak, but seeing it on a bigger screen now, it looks like they’ve put two dollies on the back, maybe for a long load to carry?
As we’ve seen before, they came up with quite some “out of the box” solutions back in them days…

And you were referring to a certain heavy haulage expert, surely that must be Herr Sutherland…? :laughing: :laughing:

The Truck is a Berliet GLM 10 6x4 (1961-63)

Some interesting pictures posted while I was away.

big-6994832cdb.jpg

big-7194954e40.jpg
These two were built using a Berliet bus chassis, probably PLR 10.The removal van is beautiful!

Some pics of a Pig Haulier from Scaer, Brittany, apologies I can’t remember name of the company, Fergie47?!

IMG_20181003_161827.jpg

IMG_20181003_162041.jpg

Some more from same company in Scaer, those Daf’s look the part!

IMG_20181003_162524 (002).jpg

IMG_20181003_162157.jpg

IMG_20181003_161904.jpg

A nice little Saviem parked in Scaer,

IMG_20181003_114511.jpg

IMG_20181003_114502.jpg

Probably belonged to the Calsat colection, which was recently sold and dispatched.

pete smith:
Some pics of a Pig Haulier from Scaer, Brittany, apologies I can’t remember name of the company, Fergie47?!

The company was a family run business, Bernard CAPITAINE, but recently sold out to a company called TCap. They transport pigs only, from all over Europe, not for slaughter, bur for breeding…

Froggy55:
Probably belonged to the Calsat colection, which was recently sold and dispatched.

Hi Paul, Hope you had a nice holiday…That truck has been owned by the same family from new (Bernard Capitaine) the lad who owns it is one of brothers who has a collection of Saviems.

So I was wrong concerning this Saviem! Came back from Spain with a scale-model 1956 Pegaso which has joined its mates on a shelf. Happy to be back on TN!

Just discovered a minute ago on a French Forum. Dutch-made Hogra trucks; I had never heard of that brand before. They look finely built.

VALKYRIE:

PV83:
Thoughts anyone…?

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Saviem’s Fan Club. Page 236 . Leyland Royal Tiger Motorcoach-Bus Chassis Of The 1950s-1960s .VALKYRIE .Sunday,30th September,2018.

Leyland Royal Tiger,Underfloor-Engined,Flat-Bodied,4x2 Lorry - 1950s-1960s motorcoach and bus chassis model adapted as a lorry.PV83. 1#

VALKYRIE :slight_smile:

Cheers for the info Valkyrie, never heard of Leyland using underfloor engines before, reckoned Bussing was the only one to do that.

pete smith:

About that pink Scanny (pink panther comes to mind…), is that on here to please Herr Sutherland Pete…? :laughing: :laughing:

Froggy55:
hogra-steyr-1957-04.jpg

hogra-steyr-1957-06.jpg
Just discovered a minute ago on a French Forum. Dutch-made Hogra trucks; I had never heard of that brand before. They look finely built.

Hiya Froggy, now this certainly rang a bell mate, I read an article about Hogra last year, very interesting indeed, I’ll cough up the info I can remember (bear with me, I’m getting older too…)

N.V. Hogra Automobielfabriek, established in 1954 in the South of Holland, main man was Antonie Willem van Hoek and together with his business partner Gravelaar (HO-coming from Hoek, GRA, coming from Gravelaar) they set up their own business after having worked for nearly two decades for the Magirus dealership.

The first Hogra lorry was introduced in 1954, operated in the 7t market and had a Perkins R6 engine, axles and gearboxes came from Moss, later on the choice was made to fit ZF-5 speed 'boxes. All the parts were bought in (engine, gearbox, axles) it’s not sure if the cab was made in-house though.

New series was introduced in 1955 and was fitted with a Perkins P6-80 engine, around that same time they were able to get hold of an export order containing 150 lorries to be shipped out to South America (wonder if any of those survived…?)

In 1957 yet another new serie was to be introduced, the H7S and was fitted with a Steyr engine.
Due to too much competition and a small production line, production ceased in 1959, it’s to be believed that between '54 and '59 400 to 500 Hogra’s were built.

feaafef2a16d7d072e4816bb13a02888.jpg

2afb7c8d24c581255dc52cd307dc943d.jpg

hogra-1956-truck-met-aanhanger.jpg

hogra-1956-betonmixer.jpg

Philippe:

[zb]
anorak:

pv83:

This looks interesting- is it still about, IE was that photo a recent one? It looks like it has single wheels on the drive axles, which stirs a (possibly false) memory that the Magnum LSW had its roots in a Saviem.

This Saviem SM340 is still runing, no single wheels

Hello Gentlemen,

I hope all is well, it’s been a long time since I last visited.
Thanks Philippe for that very interesting picture. Those two trucks seem in remarkably good condition considering their age.

That SAVIEM looks like a PS30 (Renault logo, facelift radiator grill etc), i.e. the last ones before Renault acquired both Berliet and SAVIEM in 1980. Is it really a SM340? Does he have the gearstick on the steering column or on the bottom of the cab?

Many thanks
Regards to all
David

Yes David, it’s a true SM340 6x4 with a PS30 face

pete smith:
A nice little Saviem parked in Scaer,

Nice photo there Pete. Great backdrop very French village Scaer.
I spent a fair big of time there back in 1990/91. We had some dedicated loads out of the poultry factory just outside the village, mostly fresh to Ready Roasted in Aberdare. Everyone there was friendly.
Just a short trip to Roscoff, otherwise up to Cherbourg.
Fergie may remember if it was Burgoines!