Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

jsutherland:
The tipper in the last picture looks a tad precarious. I would have been nervous seeing my trailer at that angle, leaning over.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

I agree Johnny ! When i posted it i thought to myself that looks a bit dodgy.

DEANB:

jsutherland:
The tipper in the last picture looks a tad precarious. I would have been nervous seeing my trailer at that angle, leaning over.

That last picture of a Bernard looks very futuristic in my view Dean,a great looking motor!

David

Last week end in east of France, Berliet GLM10 from 1958 upon is a Peugeot 203 pick-up , with a trailer transporting a Citroen U 23R.

Citroen U23 1942.

5thwheel:

DEANB:

jsutherland:

That last picture of a Bernard looks very futuristic in my view Dean,a great looking motor!

David

Yes i agree David, Some of those old french trucks had such character ! :wink:

saviema.PNG

Splendid weekend at Melun with a wonderful array of vehicles on show. Other shows should learn from this model having all kinds of vehicles, cars, army vehicles, including a magnificent German WW2 half-track, ambulances, fire engines, vans - there were 2 Morris 1000 ex Post Office that had come to the show, and motor cycles.
The down side was the parking that was absolute chaos allowing parking only on tarmac runways meaning that you faced one hell of a walk. In our case we walked more than a mile and a half to the show which was a trial if you are lame like I am. Also there was no provision for disabled parking. All in all it was enough to put me off from going back on the Sunday - when there would have been even more visitors.
Anyoldhoo I took lots of pictures and here is a selection of the rarer exhibits that caught my eye,

Well, it looks there were several major truck meetings around Europe last week-end! Gaydon, of course (any special thread about it?), Melun, and also somewhere in Alsace… Here is a 1947 Citroën coach, seen at Melun on Sunday.

A pair of Citroën “Belphégor” lorries (c. 1970).

Let’s stay with Citroën; 2017 is the 70th anniversary of the “Type H”, which remained in production until 1982, and many were on show, often fitted as camper-vans.

Beautifully restored Dutch Mack B 43

Mighty Massey-Ferguson 1150 with V8 Perkins engine. Only 135 bhp despite its monstrous look and size!

A French meeting couldn’t be without a “shark-nose” Willème! Terry’s Land-Rover on its way back in the background.

Some more:

WP_20170610_11_16_42_Pro.jpg

David

I suppose the last picture was taken on Saturday? No sign of that cracking 3-wheeler on Sunday! The hook loader (7.5 tonnes GCW) is a Sinpar Castor, fitted with a Renault Estafette cab.

Here’s the red Berliet as a scale model at home.

David Miller:
Splendid weekend at Melun with a wonderful array of vehicles on show. Other shows should learn from this model having all kinds of vehicles, cars, army vehicles, including a magnificent German WW2 half-track, ambulances, fire engines, vans - there were 2 Morris 1000 ex Post Office that had come to the show, and motor cycles.
The down side was the parking that was absolute chaos allowing parking only on tarmac runways meaning that you faced one hell of a walk. In our case we walked more than a mile and a half to the show which was a trial if you are lame like I am. Also there was no provision for disabled parking. All in all it was enough to put me off from going back on the Sunday - when there would have been even more visitors.
Anyoldhoo I took lots of pictures and here is a selection of the rarer exhibits that caught my eye,

Hi David,
I did enjoy my day too (just 180 kms from where I live, so a short journey), but indeed there were some perfectible points, though parking wasn’t so far from the show itself; they probably had rethought it completely on Sunday when I was there.

• not a single water tap to wash one’s hands
  • very expensive low-quality food. We had to queue half an hour under a parching sun to get a miserable sandwich + a share of cake + a small bottle of water for 12€
  • very few opportunities to chat with truck owners. In fact, I only chatted with English-speaking people when I’m French!

I must confess we French have still a long way to do concerning facilities for disabled people; shame on us…

This was the first time The Locomotion was organised at Melun, after a 2-year disruption due to misagreement with the La Ferté-Alais managers. Let’s hope they’ll improve some aspects of their organisation next year!

c. 1935 Willème GZ 8, in perfect condition! 14 tonnes GCW, powered by a 10.5 litre 80 bhp Deutz-Willème diesel. Certainly one of the oldest preserved French trucks! I really feel sorry I wasn’t there when they started it…

The inside with its wooden 5-spoke steering wheel.

Gentlemen.

Just a little aviso. I am moving house today and the very wonderful Talk Talk organisation have failed to install the broadband line in time and as a result I shall be reduced to what ever I can do with my mobile telephone.

This all means that I shall have to shut up for a bit till it gets sorted - which will no doubt be a blessed release for many! But I shall return :wink:

David

Some of the highlights of the show…and I haven’t include meeting some of you in the flesh :wink:

20170610_151608.jpg

20170610_145440.jpg

20170610_091422.jpg

20170610_091416.jpg

20170610_091328.jpg

20170610_091128.jpg

20170610_091033.jpg

20170610_090850.jpg

20170610_090813.jpg

20170610_090250.jpg

Got back from Locomotion Monday evening, live box that had been messing around the week before finally packed up, got a new one Tuesday, however for some reason can’t sync the laptop and new box, and all the photos I took on the day are on the laptop, waiting for a friend to sort it…

Had a great day, met up with old friends, and made a few new ones, didn’t get to meet David or Froggy, another time perhaps. The organisation could do with a lot of improvements, hopefully that’ll be addressed…nice to see the old wagons that I use to see years back, Saviem, Berliets, Bernards, Unics etc, and a few like I use to drive for a living…brought back lots of memories…

I indeed hoped to meet you, Dave, on Sunday. Maybe did we even pass close to each other without knowing it… I met David(off), Glen (from ■■■■■■■■■ Terry, and another niche chap with a Scania 92 who had come with his Dad and dog.

As you very appropriately say, many things need to be improved next time. Not even a tap to wash one’s hands! Fortunately, Terry allowed me access to his personal washbasin; thanks again to him!

It would also be great if the organisers of both La Loco and Gaydon could agree not to hold their meeting on the same week-end!

I attended a show in Reeth, North Yorkshire in 2015. They had a number of classics including the following Beford petrol engined lorry.

jsutherland:
I attended a show in Reeth, North Yorkshire in 2015. They had a number of classics including the following Beford petrol engined lorry.

Oi Herr Johnny! What’s happening? You’ve actually posted pic’s…? :wink:
Nice ones though, cheers mate!

Some of you might be old enough to have seen these driving through the streets… :blush:

20170613_104754.jpg

pv83:

jsutherland:

Oi Herr Johnny! What’s happening? You’ve actually posted pic’s…? :wink:
Nice ones though, cheers mate!

Sorry for the shock!

I am afraid I have no details about the lorry, other than it being a 6 cylinder petrol engined Bedford. No doubt some of the more experienced gentlemen on here can fill in the other details.
Johnny

pv83:
Some of you might be old enough to have seen these driving through the streets… :blush:

I indeed do remember them in the streets of Paris when I was a kid during the first half of the '60s! Renault TN buses dating from the mid-1930s, and powered by a very greedy 67 bhp petrol engine. I think they were withdrawn in the early '70s.

Fergie47:
Got back from Locomotion Monday evening, live box that had been messing around the week before finally packed up, got a new one Tuesday, however for some reason can’t sync the laptop and new box, and all the photos I took on the day are on the laptop, waiting for a friend to sort it…

Had a great day, met up with old friends, and made a few new ones, didn’t get to meet David or Froggy, another time perhaps. The organisation could do with a lot of improvements, hopefully that’ll be addressed…nice to see the old wagons that I use to see years back, Saviem, Berliets, Bernards, Unics etc, and a few like I use to drive for a living…brought back lots of memories…

Morning Fergie,
Glad to hear you had a good time, never got any pics from Gaydon but going to Kelsall this weekend so will take a few there for you, that new internet system they was fitting in your manor the other week ain’t playing up already is it?