Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

MaggieD:

Fergie47:

MaggieD:
Hope you and Liz are well,did you go and see Yvette at the Creperie we went to today ? as it is Pancake Day :wink: :wink:

Regards
Richard

We did, and she asked after you, she wanted to know if my father was still alive, as the last time she saw you, you looked a bit dodgy…I said you were fine,… just had a hard life… :wink:

Thank you Dave,did she ask after your daughter Liz ?

Regards
Richard

She did, and yours too,… how is Angie??..? :smiling_imp: :unamused:

kerbut:
Hope you had a Complet there Dave , my favourite.

Forrestiere Nige… Then…Caramel, banana, Chantilly …I can send you some over if your missing them…

Now Richard, back to Maggie’s, can you remember the mpg, I just remember the Pitters complaining about the fuel consumption…

barreiros:

pv83:
Couple of… well, let’s see who recognise these ones… and I do know the answer to this one for a change…

That’s too easy, those are all Kromhouts, except one. The Van Wezel truck (first in second post) is a one-off bespoke build by A.S. (Automobielfabriek Schmidt) on a Diamond-T chassis with a 200HP 6 cyl. ■■■■■■■ powerplant and Roadranger transmission.

You’re very well informed and knowledgeable Barreiros, …you obviously have an interest in classic lorries, do you have one ?

Fergie47:

barreiros:

pv83:
Couple of… well, let’s see who recognise these ones… and I do know the answer to this one for a change…

That’s too easy, those are all Kromhouts, except one. The Van Wezel truck (first in second post) is a one-off bespoke build by A.S. (Automobielfabriek Schmidt) on a Diamond-T chassis with a 200HP 6 cyl. ■■■■■■■ powerplant and Roadranger transmission.

You’re very well informed and knowledgeable Barreiros, …you obviously have an interest in classic lorries, do you have one ?

I concur with Fergie here, you are a true “connaisseur”!

barreiros:

pv83:
Found another pic…angle isn’t very helpfull again… :unamused: :wink:

Couldn’t it be a Mercedes perchange? The rear windows don’t seem to fit with the Deutz…?

It’s a Mercedes, a LPS315 to be exact. I wouldn’t put too much weight on the little details, since this is Mercedes’ first forward control design and the cabs were essentially coachbuilt and differ from one to another. This one in particular also has a modified roof adapted to hauling cranes as seen in the second picture.

Well-solved, Barreiros! :smiley: Robert

MaggieD:

Fergie47:
Like the old Maggies, air cooled engine, no rad / hose / water problems, V10 had lots of power, could change a cylinder / barrel on the side of the road, spacious cab for the time, what’s not to like…well fuel consumption I guess, some of the older V8 would see the low side of 5mg when pushed, some say even lower …

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the Magirus photo’s,here is one of mine at the French side of the Frejus, and one of Angie at St Jean de Maurenne digging herself out.

Hope you and Liz are well,did you go and see Yvette at the Creperie we went to today ? as it is Pancake Day :wink: :wink:

Regards
Richard

The striking thing for me about the RHD version of this model is that it retained the LHD windscreen wiper orientation. It must have worked OK or they wouldn’t have done it! Robert

A bunch of mixed B&W pic’s

3219244365_1_18_SBWWgvx9.jpg

Another visit to the grave yard…I like these pic’s, and as I have the keyboard, so will you !!! :wink: :unamused:

papeterie-vinet-11.jpg

963777UNICGALLIANOPEGOMAS120707.jpg

Anyone driving in France in the late '60’s early '70’s will remember these little suckers…you couldn’t see them coming up behind you, normally flat out, through those 9 in X 6 in mirrors we had at the time…and …the vans were on the side of the road in lay-bys checking your documents, especially those very legal permits you had, the ones with a 2 bob seal…

Rescued…On its way to being rebuilt, another beauty saved…

Inside the beasts…the good, bad, and ugly

14024213449_ac178cb6fd_o.jpg

When kids didn’t have gadgets…simpler times

Fergie47:
Anyone driving in France in the late '60’s early '70’s will remember these little suckers…you couldn’t see them coming up behind you, normally flat out, through those 9 in X 6 in mirrors we had at the time…and …the vans were on the side of the road in lay-bys checking your documents, especially those very legal permits you had, the ones with a 2 bob seal…

Hi Dave,

Angie’s fine thanks, she will be over to run with Liz this year.

Yes remember them,this was during a strike parked up for a couple of days near Cluses,they organised coaches to take us all to the Routier at meal times so not too bad :blush:

Regards
Richard

What a great ‘period’ shot! ^^^Robert

Pic of the day for me mate, ta!

Little suckers…by that you mean the presence of the most stunning, jaw dropping, aye, sexiest car that ever set foot (tyre) on the French motorway, surely… :wink:

Alpine A110…what a cracking little beauty of a car that was…and still is…

Oh nearly forgot Dave, but I’ve received a pic of your unit from your time with Pickford’s… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:

When I posted that pic I thought, what would the wagon plus all the cars be worth today, probably as much as you earn in a week young Patrick, but it would keep old pensioners like me and Maggie D going for a couple of years i reckon… :wink:

pv83:
Little suckers…by that you mean the presence of the most stunning, jaw dropping, aye, sexiest car that ever set foot (tyre) on the French motorway, surely… :wink:

They may be all those things whippersnaps, but when they’re painted blue with a white stripe down the side that says Gendarmerie, and you’re slightly over your time, slightly overloaded, and slightly on the wrong side of a legal permit, then, little suckers they were…not that I ever did any one of those things you’ll understand :cry:

Theres a Museum about 2 hrs from us that has 4 or 5 of them, plus a rally car, plus the later Alpines, I guess you’d have a hard on if you got up close and personal with them… :blush:

robert1952:
What a great ‘period’ shot! ^^^Robert

Which one Robert, MaggieD’s Maggie or the kids ?

MaggieD:
Hi Dave,

Angie’s fine thanks, she will be over to run with Liz this year.

Yes remember them,this was during a strike parked up for a couple of days near Cluses,they organised coaches to take us all to the Routier at meal times so not too bad :blush:

Regards
Richard

I do indeed Richard, had the “privilege” of sitting in one or two over the years…

pv83:
Oh nearly forgot Dave, but I’ve received a pic of your unit from your time with Pickford’s… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Watch it, Mrs Fergie has beaten people up for less of an insult to me, she’s an ex Russan Tank driver and shot thrower…,all 22 stone of her…and you’ll meet her in June ! :imp:

Fergie47:

pv83:

When I posted that pic I thought, what would the wagon plus all the cars be worth today, probably as much as you earn in a week young Patrick, but it would keep old pensioners like me and Maggie D going for a couple of years i reckon… :wink:

pv83:

They may be all those things whippersnaps, but when they’re painted blue with a white stripe down the side that says Gendarmerie, and you’re slightly over your time, slightly overloaded, and slightly on the wrong side of a legal permit, then, little suckers they were…not that I ever did any one of those things you’ll understand :cry:

Theres a Museum about 2 hrs from us that has 4 or 5 of them, plus a rally car, plus the later Alpines, I guess you’d have a hard on if you got up close and personal with them… :blush:

Little suckers or not, if those gendarmes turned up in a car like that, I would pay whatever it was they would fine me with…just as long I could behold the sheer beauty of that Alpine… unlike that gendarmes of last year…demanded top dollar…and were sitting in some dodgy Peugeot van… bloody ■■■■■■■■ :imp:

I’ve been looking at those prices, but it’s not what I would call a bargain…even with the money I earn in a week, it’s still quite hard to buy one…

As for that museum, I’ve been in one near Caen some years ago, they had a absolute stunning collection…but due to my “personal time” with one of the cars, I reckon I’ve already met Ms. Fergie there and then… :laughing: :laughing: