Sat-Nav for truckers

Thank you sat- nav is a driving aid not a replacement for common sense.

WHARTY:
Thank you sat- nav is a driving aid not a replacement for common sense.

Well worded :wink: :smiley:

The only one that I would recommend is the one is TomTom, if you follow the directions of ANY SatNav you will end up getting into trouble. Reason I use it - is because it lets me carry a National A-Z (or international if your memory card is big enough) in my pocket, and is easy to browse the map.

Of course it means you still need to be able to read a map !!!

G

as has been said use it as a tool not an instructor.

lets get one thing straight there is only one specific navigaton tool for trucks and that is copilot truck, is only available in the usa as the company that creates and distributs it provides its own map data. both european mapping companies teleatls and navteq, have created mapping for hgv’s but as yet no software house has plans to release an hgv specific version.

Thanks for all your help got there in the end.

:astonished: :astonished:

…wait a minute, did someone just say van drivers and think in the same sentence there…? :unamused:

i read somewhere that cdc truck accessories were going to be selling one specific for trucks bridge heights etc

No problem :grimacing: :grimacing:

If you do decide on getting SatNav, take your time to adjust all he settings, speeds, preferred roads…etc :wink: :wink:

RobK may have a point, but this is a man who would find fault with winning 10 million on the lottery :grimacing: :grimacing:

Blaupunkt are bringing onto the market the first satnav system designed for trucks with bridge heights and weight limits for Europe, you just tip in your veh weight and height and the navi does the rest. Its debut is at the IAA in Hannover next week
Geoff

alix776:
lets get one thing straight there is only one specific navigaton tool for trucks

Correct, and that is the driver. Nothing else, map, SatNav, or whatever comes close. You can plan a route using whatever method/tool you favour but it is you who decides whether to follow that plan or not.

On the topic of Sat navs I noticed a remark was made about bridge heights. There is a web site that you can pay £10 to add on bridge heights to TomTom, Navman and Autoroute marked as Point of Interests. You can then set the prat nav to sound to certain heights, therefore a talking height board.

The site is www.lowbridges.com

I,ve not actually put it to the test yet as the last few weeks I,ve been using good old fashioned books!

Hope this is of some help.

Those files are available for free, legitimately so elsewhere. The guy who created then has them for download on his website. Trouble is I can’t remember the link but if you search the SatNav posts on here you will find it. I posted it a couple of times before.

Found the link

willow-house.co.uk/

Don’t be paying a tenner for something the guy who created the files gives away for nothing.

And don’t forget.

A Sat-Nav is a machine.

It doesn’t have a brain.

You have to use your own.

Thanks for all the replies today got some really interestig comments and great links.cheers

Simon:
A Sat-Nav is a machine.

It doesn’t have a brain.

Er, that’s gonna be a big problem for 99% of drivers then Simon. :smiley:

Rob K:

Simon:
A Sat-Nav is a machine.

It doesn’t have a brain.

Er, that’s gonna be a big problem for 99% of drivers then Simon. :smiley:

You must fall into the 99% then Rob K, which is why your so against them, you just dont trust your self when it comes to the Sat-Nav directing you down that footpath, and a little voice says ‘you gotta go cos the Sat-Nav told me too’ and being publicly humiliated on live TV :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Coffeeholic:
Found the link

willow-house.co.uk/

Don’t be paying a tenner for something the guy who created the files gives away for nothing.

Doesnt work though.

Works for me, click link, page appears. :confused: :confused:

Just going home, in front a artic which went around the roundabout, thought a bit funny, must be going back the way he came as the only exit left for him is the road to our village… bugger he’s gone that way, not good as only two ways through, a tunnel that a ■■■■■■ van might get through and the other way is over a 6.6 wide 3 ton limit lock gate over the cannal, so managed to flash him to stop before he went around to many corners in the village. His Tom Tom had sent him down this way.

My missus read his delivery address and gave him the right directions and after a bit of reversing later got him facing the right way and as it was 2 miles away we took him to the drop and as it was the place was closed for the night so we gave him the local pub direction and take aways options, good deed for the day done. My Tom Tom gave the right directions when I tried it!!!

My Tom Tom last Friday, however, in Blackburn was pointless, really bad, tired going the wrong way up one way streets, all sorts, so anyone held up by a Blue Stardes truck looking for King Georges Hall in a confused manner, sorry!