truck sat navs

anyone suggest a decent truck sat nav? i dont really wanna pay the earth,but i dont want one that aint gonna do the job either.ive a class 2 licence.i’d like to get class 1 one day, so it will need be handy for that to.i want one that you can put in your restrictions.i dont want to get one and realise down the road it dosent do evreything im gonna need.cheers :slight_smile:

Hi mate, I am also thinking of buying one, assuming I pass my C+E week Wednesday. Have a look at hgvsolutions.com/
they do software foor your SN or can supply already loaded.

cheers mate! ill have a look. good luck with the c+e! :slight_smile:

cheers mate! ill have a look. good luck with the c+e! :slight_smile:

In my opinion, whilst a sat nav can be useful tool in addition to your maps and route planning, relying on them totally will land you in trouble.

The mainstream versions are for cars and they will take you down routes that you’d wonder about in a car never mind about a truck. When I first passed my class 2 last September I followed a sat nav up to Keighley in Yorkshire and it took me through an horrendous route north of Bradford down a road which was “unsuitable for HGV’s” ( I was past the point of no return). I got away with it but I vowed then never to rely on a sat nav again in a truck. Had I been in an artic, I would have got stuck.

Now I’m driving artic’s and I rarely use it all, other than maybe to pinpoint the end point of my journey. I find the AA’s Truckers atlas a really usefull map, it has all the height, width and weight restrictions and it costs about £15. As I understand it, Tom Tom’s truckers sat nav is the thick end of £500 and it’s still fairly new so you’d perhaps question how good it’s route planning for trucks is at this stage. I’d be interested to hear any reviews of the add on package detailed in the link below. Do they work :question: Are they reliable and accurate :question:

I bought a tom tom from halfords then bought some add on software from hgv solutions link below, gives you everything you need height, weight, narrow roads, roads unsuitable for hgv’s the lot it’s great so long as you set it up correctly, also as mat says i back that up with the large truckers atlas :smiley:

hgvsolutions.com

got a snooper with truckmate myself .allows you to input weight/width/height/length/ haz/normal loads . hasnt sent me on a wrong road as of yet :wink:

http://www.snooperdirect.com/

Rae:
got a snooper with truckmate myself .allows you to input weight/width/height/length/ haz/normal loads . hasnt sent me on a wrong road as of yet :wink:

most of what they supply is free anyway on the internet
it still does not route you around low bridges etc just tells you that one is infront of you etc
still best option in my opinion is tomtom with 4gig sd card and put the truck navcore and maps on it,thereby making one satnav into 2i.e card out basic sat nav/card in truck version :wink:

With the HGV Solutions software installed on my TomTom, it will always avoid routes not suitable for the truck you can even type in your height of the truck in the setup menu, .

you can buy tomtom 930 on ebay with the truck software already installed for £200 or if you’re more computer literate you can download and install it yourself for free on any tomtom from 520 up.

gezt:

Rae:

most of what they supply is free anyway on the internet
it still does not route you around low bridges etc just tells you that one is infront of you etc
still best option in my opinion is tomtom with 4gig sd card and put the truck navcore and maps on it,thereby making one satnav into 2i.e card out basic sat nav/card in truck version :wink:

I bought an s7000 snooper truckmate in November and I’m quite happy with it so far. It certainly routes me around low bridges and weight limits, have found only one road so far (in norwich) where the unit advised me to go down a weight restricted road but thats all.

Nice telly on it too.

Jim

if it rocks your boat and your happy then no worries :wink: :wink:

Just out of interest, if you have a delivery that is in an area classed as unsuitable for trucks, will it still route you to your destination, ie, down a 7.5 tonne weight limit road?
I am still using a bog standard tom tom and autoroute, and have been for a few years now, to be honest I have never had any problems, aalthough I have often passed rcomended turnings that I didn’t think looked right for my truck

when you set route it will say “no truck route available do you want to use car route instead”
if you click yes it takes car route if no it just says no route planned.
sometimes like when on motorway services or some industrial estates or unnamed roads its says “no truck route or no route possible” just wait till you get on proper road then set route. its in the region of 99 % accurate depends on you poi data you have etc.
you can change from truck setup (with your own weights/dimensions etc) to bus taxi car etc