S. jones of aldridge

Guesty44:

tractordriver:

I can confirm that it was an S Jones motor! It was a tipper unit from new and was badly damaged after hitting a lorry on the hard shoulder of the M1 in the mid 70s. The cab was a total write off and she stood in the yard for a few months during which time the diff gearbox and engine had been used in other fleet vehicles. The time came for a decision and the insurance said it would have to go back together so she had a new later cab fitted- a recon 180, a diff and a gearbox. She was also converted to a tanker, so she was firescreened and had a cargo pump and hand throttle fitted.

When she left the workshop, she was better than new!

I notice you say she had a 180 fitted?
It has its origanal 150 LXB in it so was it put back in at a later date ■■
after it was sold off it worked as a whey tanker at Gamford Farms in Rosett Wrexham
parked up in 1988 and left to rot
[/quote]
This I have tucked away with the rest in my shed,Remember it well
but can’t think of the dvr I do know we were in AOSTA and woke to this white stuff,
Will try and find some more.You can just see the name on the side maybe 1970s.
GUESTY44
[/quote]
Hi GUESTY44 remember waking up theer in Aosta early 70sish come over Blanc Late neet, December it wer on my way to Naples Snowing hard, parked up for customs, nxt Mornin Couldn"t open Kin Cab Door LoL"" Only had to use Chains once IIRC Happy Days?? Ps Funny how A picc can Rattle Grey Cells LoL""

CJA1:

Guesty44:

tractordriver:

I can confirm that it was an S Jones motor! It was a tipper unit from new and was badly damaged after hitting a lorry on the hard shoulder of the M1 in the mid 70s. The cab was a total write off and she stood in the yard for a few months during which time the diff gearbox and engine had been used in other fleet vehicles. The time came for a decision and the insurance said it would have to go back together so she had a new later cab fitted- a recon 180, a diff and a gearbox. She was also converted to a tanker, so she was firescreened and had a cargo pump and hand throttle fitted.

When she left the workshop, she was better than new!

I notice you say she had a 180 fitted?
It has its origanal 150 LXB in it so was it put back in at a later date ■■
after it was sold off it worked as a whey tanker at Gamford Farms in Rosett Wrexham
parked up in 1988 and left to rot

This I have tucked away with the rest in my shed,Remember it well
but can’t think of the dvr I do know we were in AOSTA and woke to this white stuff,
Will try and find some more.You can just see the name on the side maybe 1970s.
GUESTY44
[/quote]
Hi GUESTY44 remember waking up theer in Aosta early 70sish come over Blanc Late neet, December it wer on my way to Naples Snowing hard, parked up for customs, nxt Mornin Couldn"t open Kin Cab Door LoL"" Only had to use Chains once IIRC Happy Days?? Ps Funny how A picc can Rattle Grey Cells LoL""
[/quote]

jones.jpg

IMG_20170831_164614.jpg

Put these photos on before on another thread. Dad worked for B.E.T. on tankers and called into Aldridge on his way home and I had just got a new camera and filters so I had a mess around with them , think he was on his way from Germany

Dad took this photo, I haven,t got a clue about it . It could have been when they were week ended somewhere , come on guys HELP

Boatchaser:
Dad took this photo, I haven,t got a clue about it . It could have been when they were week ended somewhere , come on guys HELP

I can not remember who had 446. I had 476 on the tanks which was A424 LHA . I will look through old photos to see if I have anything.

Mick Farrell had it new then Bubbles had it

cookie1:

I have an old picture of 447 which was Vince Cooks, you could always spot Vince with the air horns and the zanettie mirrors a mile away. Can anybody help, a couple of weeks ago I spotted an ERF unit near Wednesfield all painted up in S Jones livery with a chrome stack and chrome diesel tank, does any of you know who owns it.

Tea cup:

cookie1:

I have an old picture of 447 which was Vince Cooks, you could always spot Vince with the air horns and the zanettie mirrors a mile away. Can anybody help, a couple of weeks ago I spotted an ERF unit near Wednesfield all painted up in S Jones livery with a chrome stack and chrome diesel tank, does any of you know who owns it.

The ERF near Wednesfield is owned by an ex Jones’s employee, he worked in the garage I believe, I don’t think the vehicle is ex Jones’s just sprayed in their colours,

Vince Cooke was my Dad he passed away 3 months ago

cookie1:
Vince Cooke was my Dad he passed away 3 months ago

Hi Jerry.
Very sad new,s about your Dad Vince. My name is Mick Thorpe and worked along side your dad and your self for 22 years at S Jones. I also have some great memories of you all in that time, from you working up the top garage and rebuilding the ■■■■■■■■ engine in the Atkinson I had at the time, and you had to do all the rebuild from inside the cab, and when I collected it you had cleaned all the cab inside and it looked and smelt like new. And the time when Vince was weekended in Ludwigshafen and he started up the 240 8 pot Gardner he had at the time one cold morning and there was that much smoke that someone who lived nearby rang the fire brigade. There’s that many story’s I could go on for ever. R I P Vince.

Hi Mick I knew it was you I hope you are well I well remember doing the engine in the Atkinson and trying to keep the cab clean because your motor was one of the cleanest on the fleet ARF 323M and was a bit of a flyer

cookie1:
Hi Mick I knew it was you I hope you are well I well remember doing the engine in the Atkinson and trying to keep the cab clean because your motor was one of the cleanest on the fleet ARF 323M and was a bit of a flyer

Hi Jerry.
Nice to here from you and hope you are OK. The last time I spoke to you I think was when you were pulling trailers out of Bass at Burton-on-Trent with your blue ERF. I was talking to Nicky Herron a couple of years ago and he said you had moved to Southport, but sadly he has passed away since then, I think he had another stroke, I worked with him for a while at Bowmers after I finished at Suttons. great lad was Nicky always happy with a smile. I sometimes sit with a smile on my face and the misses asked watts making you smile, because I sometimes think of the things we got up to, like the time we all froze up at Ma’s at Uchy north of Macon, you and Jona came out to us and I think there was about six of us with the diesel waxed up and just one unit running with petrol mixed in the tank, that was Paul Clements unit so that was the our taxi for the week, we all stayed in the travel lodge on Macon services at night because it was dropping to 30 below at night and some drivers in France died with the cold sleeping in there cabs. That week is one you never forget, as was many of the things we got up to. Luck after yourself Jem.
Mick.

I took this early 80s D/Kirk [F] S Jones in Foreground, me four doors up the Line,

Waiting Ferry Dkirk.jpg

couple of Jones, Archive piccs

CZC00117-03.jpg

S Jones A20.jpg

The top photo is fleet number 581 which My Dad Vince Cooke had from new until he had a heart attack and came off the road He passed away last July we are doing a chairty event this Sunday 13th may at the Hollies cafe Cannock in his honour from 9 o’clock monies raised raised will go to the British Legion hope to see friends and S Jones employees there

Jerry

You’ll need to get over your obsession with these Orange Boxes on Wheels! Next time Brian and I see you we’ll put you right about real motors like Scania’s & Volvo’s (I only put that Volvo bit in to stay on the right side of Brian!).
Sorry about your Dad, won’t be at the Hollies as we are only allowed two visits a year your side of the Border, which will be a relief to you.
See you in October hopefully.

Sla’inte!
Alex
PS I’ll make sure I have the words of the song this time!

Good luck tomorrow Jerry! I was hoping to make it but have a medical matter to sort out. Cheers old mate! Robert

There is an S Jones Aldridge reunion on Saturday the 27th of October from 12noon if you worked there send me a personal message and I will give the details

Hi is there any chance of you knowing if this truck was a part of s jones fleet the reg is NRE 551L registered in Staffordshire and my dad brought it second hand in the 70s we was pear tree haulage West bromwich