S. jones of aldridge

monkeywrench:
worked in the top garage on the spanners with Ronnie Hawkins (he went to saudi with Jones’s i was going but they changed their minds so i left),Jock Thompson and one leged Gordon. Knew Dickie Grantham well,he had a 1600e ford and i had the lotus cortina and he wanted to swap lol,. Jockana, he used to bring us the bread down from scotland when the strike was on, he drove a Sleeper cab Atky tanker boneshaker. lovely man. I ended up working and “drinking” with em at Taylors Aldride, great blokes one and all .I do remember one windy night the cans ended up in the cut, we peed ourselves .

Did you know Les who was the fleet engineer

Yes i knew him Les Slim do you mean. And was David Brooks (i didn’t like him) some sort of garage gaffa don’t know what. When the Saudi jobs was all the rave he interviewed me for the night shift foremans job but when they refused me the Saudi “after they said i would go” i told em to stuff it, i left. Brooks was a truck driver On a LAD Comet at E& M Hickinbottoms Rolling Mill street when i was a was about 18/19

Spud1960:

monkeywrench:
worked in the top garage on the spanners with Ronnie Hawkins (he went to saudi with Jones’s i was going but they changed their minds so i left),Jock Thompson and one leged Gordon. Knew Dickie Grantham well,he had a 1600e ford and i had the lotus cortina and he wanted to swap lol,. Jockana, he used to bring us the bread down from scotland when the strike was on, he drove a Sleeper cab Atky tanker boneshaker. lovely man. I ended up working and “drinking” with em at Taylors Aldride, great blokes one and all .I do remember one windy night the cans ended up in the cut, we peed ourselves .

Les Slim. Do you mean, he was the day shift foreman i believe. I knew him but didn’t see him a lot as i was on the night shift.

Spud1960:

monkeywrench:

monkeywrench:
Les Slim. Do you mean, he was the day shift foreman i believe. I knew him but didn’t see him a lot as i was on the night shift.

Spud1960:

monkeywrench:

Yes that’s him, I worked with him for a while at Hoyer, top feller retired a couple of years ago.

Spud1960:

monkeywrench:

Spud1960:

monkeywrench:

Yes that’s him, I worked with him for a while at Hoyer, top feller retired a couple of years ago.

As i say i didn’t know him that well but most the blokes i did know of the day shift spoke very highly of him, like John Duckhouse akka Salthouse commercials who i worked for in later yrs. Most the lads from Jonse’s was alright . Thanks for the post . regards , monk

Just like to let you know Billy Liar is still alive and kicking retired living in the Black Country living off the fiddle from Roberts Tankwash miss the french grub though!

Bodenham:
Just like to let you know Billy Liar is still alive and kicking retired living in the Black Country living off the fiddle from Roberts Tankwash miss the french grub though!

nice bloke :smiley:

Did my HGV training at S Jones. Just found these.

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Tamworth1:

the two e series in this photo were sold not long after this and replaced with select ec 10’s.far right fleet number 518 had just been refurbished throughout costing several thousand pounds,its driver tony cope wanted to keep it rather than have the new ec but was told it had to be sold

Here’s a young Billy Liar taken at SKW Trosberg Southern Germany 1986/7 loaded for Grangemouth, didn’t get very far got snowed in just up the road for a couple of days, found a bar and let the world go by. Happy Days

Tamworth1:

where these taken at the truck show at weston park?
would love to see more if they were! been looking for more squires pics there would of been a few at that show

Well looked after & smart with a few bolt on goodies!

IMG_0007.jpg

hiya can anybody remember joe mason he used to drive a tvw 8 wheeler tipper on the coal for jones,s think he also had a sentinel six wheeler?

just a couple more niks ,the black prince formally blackey he brought me batteries out to le harve in the a.m. fitted them for me I was still recovering from last night and made me tea before we set off had a great nature shaking stevens is another that comes to mind only just found this site so catch youall later

well sjs of bloxwich my uncle and dad used to work for them but now its turned to inperial tankers

s jonses bloxwich

imagesCAYIU3ZE.jpg

I must keep up!! Just found this thread.I used to collect spares from Jones of Aldridge for ■■■■■■■ and Gardner powered lorries.The last time I was there I delivered tarmac for resurfacing of one of the yards.It was nice to earn from my visit instead of spending :slight_smile:

scotty2423:
s jonses bloxwich

here is one I found from about 30 yrs ago docks think it was D/Kirk [F] Jones In the Foreground, me four doors up Lol" Regards CJA1

Hello all.

I have ERF LV - Reg - SRF 223G.
I have been told it was new to S Jones.
can any one confirm this.
It has had a later cab put on it at some time
origanal cab was a 6 LV/L now it has a 8 LV/L fitted.
under all the paint I found it was red maroon and white as per S jones colours I have seen on old photos.
After much blood sweat and tears she is back on the road

Thanks

Bodenham:
1Here’s a young Billy Liar taken at SKW Trosberg Southern Germany 1986/7 loaded for Grangemouth, didn’t get very far got snowed in just up the road for a couple of days, found a bar and let the world go by. Happy Days

Obviously not read the tremcard where it warned you not to drink alcohol for 24 hours after loading. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: