Russia/middle east/other unusual destinations

One of my favourite ever LDDs was this masterpiece by Lawrence Kiely who not only managed to include the Arabian Peninsula AND North Africa in one round trip, but for pudding he managed to include a war-zone; and the icing on the pudding is his excellent writing and his epic photography! Enjoy! Robert

Thanks for posting that I had the first bit but not the second part. Excellent and here he is again working for Priors !

Number 22

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3

Number 23

Another really good article.

Number 24

Chris Hooper how many trips did this fella do ?

Number 25

Chris Hooper again !

His lorry had a sad end after he sold it.

Number 26

A small bit about Israel.

Thanks so much for posting these stories Dean.

I organised Breakfast in Babylon together with Peter King and Lawrence Keilly. It was great publicity for my company, Orient Transport.

Also I have been searching for the ‘Night Out on Tahir’ story for a long time as I lost my copy. If anyone has a copy of that December 1975 issue of Truck I would love to buy it!

Hello Andy

That Lawrence is a fantastic writer ! I have some more bits and bobs to go on but please add anything
you have. Its not really a discussion forum more somewhere you can find all the stories/articles easily without having to go through hundreds of pages.

FYI - Lawrence has his own website - 777v666.com/

I know he had on here at sometime the trip he did to Kuwait in the F12 Globetrotter.
Very good read.

DeanB - you don’t have the LDD that the 2 Whittle’s Sed Ak’s did do you ■■?
That was a good read and great to see 2x GB motors doing that run !!

Gotta love the quote from the Chris Hooper story in the August 2007 Issue… “My wife had already phoned the Head of Security at the Israeli border”!! :laughing: Brilliant, your average Billy (zb)in Big Wheels would struggle to trump that one, especially when you consider who was actually saying it!

Good stuff Dean, many thanks again for taking the time and trouble to scan and post all these. :wink:

SSPROS1965:
FYI - Lawrence has his own website - 777v666.com/

I know he had on here at sometime the trip he did to Kuwait in the F12 Globetrotter.
Very good read.

DeanB - you don’t have the LDD that the 2 Whittle’s Sed Ak’s did do you ■■?
That was a good read and great to see 2x GB motors doing that run !!

Its on page 1,good read.

Got a few more bullitt but never really bought many mags over the last 10 years so i am sure there must be alot more out there ■■ Hopefully someone will add newer articles.

@Jazzandy, knew it was you who had written ‘A night on Tahir’ but only since you joined TNUK. I remember reading it in 1975 as a newly qualified Class 1 driver and being totally enthralled and thinking that’s what I want to do : mrgreen: Never did though :frowning: I suppose life just got in the way. It was great to read that article again, it has brought back some good memories.

@ DEANB, thanks for a quality effort in putting all this stuff together, I’ve not read all of them yet, but I will do soon, think there must be a good afternoons’ reading there :sunglasses: Cheers mate.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Number 27

White Trux article from commercial motor in 1976 (Can only just scan it as magazine was much bigger back then.) Magazine is nearly 40 years old.

NUMBER 28

Poland

It has been suggested to me that I post some of the LDDs I wrote / photo’d for TRUCK some years ago, so here goes. Robert

NUMBER 29

Turkey

Although this went in the mag in '97, it was actually written in 1995 when I did the trip. For some inexplicable reason the editor changed the part where I drove across the Bosphorous Bridge IN THE LORRY to tip near Izmit, thereby becoming a ‘Middle-Easter’ so that it read that I crossed the bridge in A TAXI, making me look a right ■■■! :laughing: Amusing now, but embarrassing at the time, because then I had no idea that I would be crossing it again and going much further east and south! Robert

NUMBER 30

NUMBER 31

Spain

NUMBER 32

Romania (two parts)