Royal Mail

Winseer:
How come people are not queueing up to get into RM then, if it’s perceived as such a cushy number? :confused:

I’d que up for it…

I wonder if RM have the same policy as I’ve heard of re UPS that don’t like taking on anyone previously paid off… :confused:

Winseer:
I wonder if RM have the same policy as I’ve heard of re UPS that don’t like taking on anyone previously paid off… :confused:

That’s true. UPS don’t take anyone back on that have left of their own accord or been paid off. Not that you’d want to go back to them though.

My mate did it for a while trunking between mount pleasant and Coventry. Said it was a good easy job but nights didn’t suit him long term.

I did a few runs for RM when I was at Stobarts! Gatwick airport to NDC Dirft and back! Langley to drift a few times aswell! Easy work! :sunglasses:

I did three nights at RM Stonebidge park depot! Paid full shifts on standby and never turned a wheel in 11 hours each night! :sunglasses:

damoq:

Winseer:

That’s true. UPS don’t take anyone back on that have left of their own accord or been paid off. Not that you’d want to go back to them though.

No, seriously I’m asking the question. I heard that UPS were the top dollar payments in the parcel overnight trunk business, and that policy is a yes for them. There might be such an unwritten policy being implemented as part of the RM MTSF agreement (systemic staff shedding).

“If you’ve worked here, you’ll never be offered full time”

Which means i’f you’ve been a full timer, or even just done a couple of shifts agency, you won’t get a lookin.

Thinking back, a cold-call to RM as a non-driver, and then being trained up within the job seems to be the only way you’ll perhaps get a FT C+E job at RM for some time since? :confused:

Other parcel firms are bleeding out FT jobs too, so in the end, should the upturn come suddenly, how many firms are going to be left behind, because they then can’t recruit the staff quickly enough when they need to? - Endless payrises for agency whilst they flap about? - Who knows?! :stuck_out_tongue:

dessy:
I did a few runs for RM when I was at Stobarts! Gatwick airport to NDC Dirft and back! Langley to drift a few times aswell! Easy work! :sunglasses:

I did three nights at RM Stonebidge park depot! Paid full shifts on standby and never turned a wheel in 11 hours each night! :sunglasses:

Would that explain why I saw a RM tractor pulling a Tescos fridge the other night?

Dunno about everyone else, but the idea of sitting in a rest/waiting room scratching my arse all night long is not my idea of an “easy shift” - It’s dead boring, and the time would drag for me!

Stonebridge park has such a small C+E park area, that frequently when you get the chance to “park up for 3hrs+” you’ll find nowhere to go, and you can’t stay on the bays either… Hmmm. I’d rather pull out, and park under a pylon somewhere like this on the way home, and fog the isotrack hehe! :laughing:

I parked in the “Small” trailer park all night and had loads of sleep! The staff canteen was very nice aswell! Not much on the TV overnight so nice relaxing times IMHO! Not our fault there was no extra loads to go! :laughing:

Down by the 50+ numbered bays near the rail bit, you’d get left alone on the bays for longer, but that might have all changed these days.

I’ve not been there for 2 years, but the C+E park was the left hand fence as you went in through the gate, with a middle yard bit for 17t vechicles, and a whole row for 17t park-ups on the right hand side of the straight one way bit going upto that “wrong way” roundabout. If there were not too many 17t overspilling about, you might get to use the second layer in the middle away from the fence.

RM at Crick did recruit some Manpower agency drivers earlier this year, but on a six month contract. Not many took up on the offer as most were already getting 4 or 5 day weeks out of them already. Also when it comes to handing out duties, new full timers are at the bottom of the pile so couldn’t guarantee a suitable shift, whereas on agency you can pretty much specify what hours you are available to work albeit with no guarantee of work.

nedflanders:
I did agency work last xmas it was for a subbue into royal mail was so easy
how rm make money is beyond me or do they make money or subbed by the goverment

A) You can get a lot of letters in a truck.
B) If anything, the Government acts against the Royal Mail by differentiating between the way private companies and our publicly owned Royal Mail operate.

Crick? You mean DIRFT opposite Mothercare? aka NDC?

Crick is where Sainsburys are.

No fault to you though, Tossers & Trailers on TV habitually describes DIRFT as “Crick”. :smiley:

A fella drinks in my local,saw him lunchtime today took voluntary redun from RM used to be a class 1 driver on night trunk said it was the best job he’d ever had, but they were still training up drivers for artic work when he left,he reckons the more LDV Maxus or Transit vans you smashed up the better your chances of being accepted on the class 1 drivers course as it was a way for depot supervisors to get rid of bad drivers,sour grapes? I dunno, but he walked into a good job on a rollonoff, with about £45,000 on the hip pocket :exclamation: :exclamation:

Winseer:
How come people are not queueing up to get into RM then, if it’s perceived as such a cushy number? :confused:

I know this is an old thread Winseer, but if you’re still here can you ( or anyone else! ) tell me, NOT why people aren’t queueing up to get in to RM
but more importantly… WHY some long standing drivers NEVER leave this job. I’m back in at Gatwick on the agency and I’m amazed to see the
same old faces that were there the last time I was in there at least 12 years ago, by which time they’d already been working there for donkeys years!

Us drivers are notorious for changing jobs when the see something better, so why are these guys STILL there 15-20 years later… is it a great job,
fantastic money? Lots of perks? Just what is the attraction?

Probably pension plus ideal for plodders who break into a sweat every time they have to go somewhere new.

To be fair some of their places, mostly smaller offices, they’re a great bunch of lads and all get on but most Mail Centres I went to there was either a climate of fear from backstabbing ■■■■■■■■ egged on by management or everyone’s got moaning disease where I’d imagine if you worked there it would be hard to avoid getting infected with it

Lennoxtown:

Winseer:

I know this is an old thread Winseer, but if you’re still here can you ( or anyone else! ) tell me, NOT why people aren’t queueing up to get in to RM
but more importantly… WHY some long standing drivers NEVER leave this job. I’m back in at Gatwick on the agency and I’m amazed to see the
same old faces that were there the last time I was in there at least 12 years ago, by which time they’d already been working there for donkeys years!

Us drivers are notorious for changing jobs when the see something better, so why are these guys STILL there 15-20 years later… is it a great job,

When you get 89.1% voting for industrial action it shows unity.
The majority of drivers started out in delivery and moved across.
Even with 20 years you are classed as a junior.
Privatisation of Royal Mail has made it a lot harder for us to defend our pay and terms and conditions, but we will.
We have to look out for the youngsters coming into Royal Mail and I believe the CWU as our representatives have done a very good job in securing one pension for all.
I have no problems with losing a little of my pension, so the youngsters can come out of the savings plan that is a DC pension.
We do still have the best pay and t and c’s in this industry, thank’s to us being heavily Unionised.
Come this April the pay will be over £30,000 for a 36.15 week (Not including our Meal relief)
Our Meal relief returning is being negotiated.

sweepster:

Lennoxtown:

Winseer:

Privatisation of Royal Mail has made it a lot harder for us to defend our pay and terms and conditions, but we will.
We have to look out for the youngsters coming into Royal Mail and I believe the CWU as our representatives have done a very good job in securing one pension for all.
I have no problems with loosing a little of my pension, so the youngsters can come out of the savings plan that is a DC pension.
We do still have the best pay and t and c’s in this industry, thank’s to us being heavily Unionised.
Come this April the pay will be over £30,000 for a 36.15 week (Not including our Meal relief)

British Leyland of the delivery world though. It’s a business that with even the strongest rose tinted glasses on it’s hard not to see how the writing’s on the wall for it within ten years maybe even five. Some weeks I don’t get any post not even a dominos flyer.

Own Account Driver:

sweepster:

Lennoxtown:

Winseer:

I have no problems with loosing a little of my pension, so the youngsters can come out of the savings plan that is a DC pension.

British Leyland of the delivery world though. It’s a business that with even the strongest rose tinted glasses on it’s hard not to see how the writing’s on the wall for it within ten years maybe even five. Some weeks I don’t get any post not even a dominos flyer.

It’s the only company who delivers a universal service. It is a public service, even in the private world.
So only people who live in towns and cities should get post?
Would any Government let Royal Mail go bust? It made over £700,000000 last year.
I can’t help if your not popular. :smiley: There is no way you would go a week without getting post, unless there is no post to give you. You should get the usual d to d’s.

Own Account Driver:

Billy No Mates! I had a parcel on it’s way to me today. Got a text giving me 4 options to choose from, made my selection, got conformation all in 10 seconds. In the morning I will walk across the road to collect it from the drop off point, the local Post Office, small sub office within a shop. Yep, Parcelforce. And who else will deliver your Christmas?Birthday cards to any part of the UK for 60+pence? I had a parcel to send to an AB post code. UPS £25. RM £13. I could go on but I suspect everything you see is tinged with green, not rose tinted.

Like it or loathe it - RM actually has some damned good infrastructure that was maintained quite well as part of the “fattening up for privatization” process. It now makes money in a sector where other “courier” outfits are struggling to get drivers with a strong work ethic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfxaaR60d_8 (TNT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_w7uSnOj0 (UKMail)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVwIO8MStxI (Yodel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvPGsnZ0n6g (Hermes)

You actually get posties who know how to ring a doorbell at RM! :stuck_out_tongue: