Anyone drive for Royal Mail?

Just wondering if anyone drives for Royal Mail! And if so what their pay is like. I have my C training and test booked for next month, and have been told by a couple of the drivers at our sorting office that there’s a chance of getting some driving work. I felt it was a bit rude to ask them what the pay was. I’m currently a postie, but really want to get into a driving job as soon as I’ve passed my test, even if its just a couple of days a week.
Thanks

I was chatting to a Royal Mail postie with his brand new DAF and tall RM trailer in a depot recently. He seemed pleased with the level of pay but wasn’t vulgar enough to quote figures. However, the working hours sounded very reasonable for a HGV driver. I think he said his contracted hours were somewhere around 35-40 hours per week, anything beyond that is paid as overtime.

When I decide to go permanent I might well have a look at Royal Mail myself.

my mate drives for RM at Crick.he won’t quote figures,but says the pay is very good.he’s on night trunking.

I worked for them 10 years ago, a mate still there grossed £42600 last year, night trunking :sunglasses:

If you can get in with RM then its a pretty cushy job.

I dont know exact figures, but let me explain what is the pay structure at RM group. You are contracted to x hours, usually 30-40h at basic salary which is always 2XXXX+ whatever your post is. On top of that some roles require compulsory overtime called at RM schedule attendance which is paid even tho you’re off on holidays and it is usually your hourly rate or slightly extra (125% or something) on top of that you get your allowances dependent on your job ie driving allowances (different rates for up to 3.5t ,7,5t and class 1) and also if working night you get night duty allowance paid per hour. From the back of my head class 1 drivers are contracted to 40h and are on 27-28k basic but their pay is hugely topped up by allowances and schedule attendance. Some profitable routes/duties can get you over 40k gross anually. See above’s post figure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the replies, ill definitely be looking closer into that then :smiley:

I anyone’s interested Wolverhmapton RM have got a banner out front advertising CE jobs. It’s down by the Great Western Pub.

Hours are 36.15 a week. You might find it easier starting out on the 7.5t (600’s) as most of the class C work also requires class 1 drivers for other duties on a rotation.
Already working for Royal Mail will help you get your foot in the door a lot and there was even talk of training the right drivers up from class 2 to 1.
If you get a chance to visit a VOC then pick up the drive time CD from a few months ago where there’s a section on recruitment. If you can’t then send me a PM and ill try and get hold of one and post it to you…
As for pay, figures above for basic, allowances and overtime sound achievable.

Morning All - A few weeks ago Royal Mail Peterborough depot was after drivers, i did think about it but never acted :unamused:

around my area (bristol / avonmouth) Royal Mail always advertise for drivers over the christmas period, Class 1 trunking, and the pay is £15 an hour standard going upto something like £18 - £19, crazy money!

Im not sure if that is what there normal rate is, or anywhere close, or its just like that to get drivers in for there busy periods.

I read one of the c+e job descriptions for somewhere up north and it said that you have to load and unload the lorry yourself, is there any truth in that anyone? I mean surely they have warehouse staff that do that or not?? :open_mouth:

Up north we do all the work drive, load, unload even build the truck

That explains the post above about the wages, you’d expect more for more work. Doesn’t always work out like that though :angry:

They use them double deck trailers don’t they? Do u use a man rider or something like that, I used to work for dpd and they use them type of trailers,

Dan Bear 87:
I read one of the c+e job descriptions for somewhere up north and it said that you have to load and unload the lorry yourself, is there any truth in that anyone? I mean surely they have warehouse staff that do that or not?? :open_mouth:

They’re not loose loaded. It’s all cage work and the most you’ll have is 55 per deck so 110 in total. Drivers assist and there’s usually indoor staff who help you (helpfulness depends on which depot you are at)