Anyone worked agency for Royal Mail?

Hi all, Im working my first shift for RM tonight (2200-0700) Has anyone worked agency for RM? Im not quite sure what to expect :neutral_face: I had a driving assessment for them at the same depot on Thursday and then got a call to go in tonight.

The agency havent said much about it so Im guessing its trunking to another depot(s). Does anyone know if I will have to load the vehicle myself etc.?

Iā€™ve been subbied out to them the last 2 weeks. The works easy to be honest. Coz I was in a contractor wagon with 1 of our trailers I wasnā€™t a priority for them unloading me. Get used to checking to see if they have unloaded you as they seem to tip you them go do something else leaving you on a red light. All in all easy work

As for loading and unloading Iā€™ve seen the royal mail lads do both also seen them just sit in the cab and wait. Iā€™ve started unloading myself this week as itā€™s quicker. Just go in and ask a manager

Good luck with your first shift

Started with agency doing RM a couple of weeks back, easy work and decent money, and plenty of shifts available.

Good luck for tonight.

Hi mrs mac, is this cat c or c+e? Just wondering. :wink:

Wavestarved:

Just a 7.5T last night, but Ive told the agency today not to bother to ask me for 7.5T for them again. Not that I had a problem with actually doing the job, it was easy enough and even the tightest reverses into/out of the small yards didnt phase meā€¦it was the complete incompetence, lack of any induction/instruction and the extremely poor ā€˜managementā€™ (shouting and bawling at staff) I encountered.

I arrived early, which was handy really as I had to walk around a massive central depot for ever to find anyone who could help me get to the office I was supposed to report to, was then (after witnessing the worst ā€˜Mr Angryā€™ I think Ive ever met who stood screaming that I was about to smash the rear lights on a bay when in reality I was at least 2 feet away and had stopped) then told to load a 7.5T with ā€˜Yorksā€™ (wheeled cage/trollies) Iā€™d never used before, with a tail lift Iā€™d not been shown how to use, then follow some toothless wonder to a couple of smaller postal offices to deliver themā€¦I say ā€˜followā€™ but what I really mean is attempt to ā€˜keep upā€™ with him while he broke every speed limit on the way (I didnt btw, I made him wait for me while I observed the speed limits and stopped at red lights etc (he just kept saying ā€œyouā€™ll have to keep with me love, Iā€™ll never make my last run if you keep holding me backā€) :unamused: and, I suspect his indicators were malfunctioning, well either that, or he couldnt find them :laughing: :laughing: I certainly couldnt hazard a guess as to his intended direction from his position on the roadā€¦

As I say, Ive told the agency I want Class 2 work or they can forget it for RM for me. My C+E course in January cant come soon enough for me to be honest :frowning:

All I can say isā€¦its no wonder RM postage is so expensive, the waste is incredible jaw drops and the management ā€˜styleā€™ leaves an awful lot to be desired. :neutral_face:

What a lousy experience you have had. All I can say really is donā€™t judge the organisation by that, Iā€™m a postie in Shrewsbury and our management are helpful courteous and on the whole a sound bunch. Our drivers also ( Iā€™m not one, yetā€¦) are a cracking bunch of lads and lasses, and have a really good attitude toward road safety. Itā€™s a shame the rest of the organisation appears to be falling short.

MrsMac:

Wavestarved:

Just a 7.5T last night, but Ive told the agency today not to bother to ask me for 7.5T for them again. Not that I had a problem with actually doing the job, it was easy enough and even the tightest reverses into/out of the small yards didnt phase meā€¦it was the complete incompetence, lack of any induction/instruction and the extremely poor ā€˜managementā€™ (shouting and bawling at staff) I encountered.

I arrived early, which was handy really as I had to walk around a massive central depot for ever to find anyone who could help me get to the office I was supposed to report to, was then (after witnessing the worst ā€˜Mr Angryā€™ I think Ive ever met who stood screaming that I was about to smash the rear lights on a bay when in reality I was at least 2 feet away and had stopped) then told to load a 7.5T with ā€˜Yorksā€™ (wheeled cage/trollies) Iā€™d never used before, with a tail lift Iā€™d not been shown how to use, then follow some toothless wonder to a couple of smaller postal offices to deliver themā€¦I say ā€˜followā€™ but what I really mean is attempt to ā€˜keep upā€™ with him while he broke every speed limit on the way (I didnt btw, I made him wait for me while I observed the speed limits and stopped at red lights etc (he just kept saying ā€œyouā€™ll have to keep with me love, Iā€™ll never make my last run if you keep holding me backā€) :unamused: and, I suspect his indicators were malfunctioning, well either that, or he couldnt find them :laughing: :laughing: I certainly couldnt hazard a guess as to his intended direction from his position on the roadā€¦

As I say, Ive told the agency I want Class 2 work or they can forget it for RM for me. My C+E course in January cant come soon enough for me to be honest :frowning:

All I can say isā€¦its no wonder RM postage is so expensive, the waste is incredible jaw drops and the management ā€˜styleā€™ leaves an awful lot to be desired. :neutral_face:

Which mail centre were you at?

I was at one of the large Scottish mail centres m1cks

Wavestarved:
What a lousy experience you have had. All I can say really is donā€™t judge the organisation by that, Iā€™m a postie in Shrewsbury and our management are helpful courteous and on the whole a sound bunch. Our drivers also ( Iā€™m not one, yetā€¦) are a cracking bunch of lads and lasses, and have a really good attitude toward road safety. Itā€™s a shame the rest of the organisation appears to be falling short.

Thanks Wavestarved, I was so disappointed it wasnt done professionally, I expected much, much better from RM, I know Its not the same everwhere, but this was so rubbish I almost told them to stuff it and was ready to tell them I was going home when they signed me and the other 3 agency drivers off early as there was nothing left to do.