Rough cost, car to arctic?

As you’re from Doncaster have you not considered doing some training to work on the railways? You can earn the same/more without having to shell out anywhere near what you’ll need to to get to C&E.

nettrucker:
As you’re from Doncaster have you not considered doing some training to work on the railways? You can earn the same/more without having to shell out anywhere near what you’ll need to to get to C&E.

I have m8 and I’m not shy of some hard graft if I was given the opportunity to earn decent money for my efforts but anyone I’ve spoken to that’s been and tried it seems to suggest you get dicked around a lot on the railways and always get given the shifts nobody else long standing wants.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DonyJam:

nettrucker:

I have m8 and I’m not shy of some hard graft if I was given the opportunity to earn decent money for my efforts but anyone I’ve spoken to that’s been and tried it seems to suggest you get dicked around a lot on the railways and always get given the shifts nobody else long standing wants.

So, on the rail,
newcomers get worse shifts, less respect from both employers and fellow workers, and even those who are willing to graft are not recognized?
In trucking,
newcomers get worse shifts, less respect from both employers and fellow workers, and even those who are willing to graft are not recognized.

If you want to drive lorries, great, go for it. But do it with your eyes open.

Franglais:

DonyJam:

nettrucker:

So, on the rail,
newcomers get worse shifts, less respect from both employers and fellow workers, and even those who are willing to graft are not recognized?
In trucking,
newcomers get worse shifts, less respect from both employers and fellow workers, and even those who are willing to graft are not recognized.

If you want to drive lorries, great, go for it. But do it with your eyes open.

You have a point m8, no denying it!

It’s not purely about money, it’s about the driving aspect, being out and left alone to get my job done, not being cooped up in one place with managers or supervisors breathing down my neck.

I’ve been doing the job I do now for about 13 to 14 years, I need a change as much as I need more money.

There’s also a good chance I’ll stay with the company I’m with so depending on who has the the transport contract at the time I move over, I could keep all my service perks and won’t be seen so much as the newcomer

Telt:
It’s much cheaper for the exact same licences if you go over to Belfast and do it. Ryanair do cheap flights from across the UK and National Express serve Belfast as well. Once there budget £30 per night for a B&B.

Swift Transport Training will do your:

Theory Test
Hazard Perception
CPC Module 2 classroom
CPC Module 4 practical with lorry hire
5 day cat C training
Cat C test with lorry hire
5 day cat CE training
Cat CE test with lorry hire

For a grand total of £1700.

By the time you add your transport and accommodation you shouldn’t be too far north of £2000 all in.

Firstly, though, you’ll need your medical which you get locally and prices vary from £30 to £120 so ship around.

Has anyone on here done this, wondering if the flight and hotel would work out as a saving?