From Car to Class 1

Hi all,

I’m a first-time poster and wanted just a little advice.

Currently, I am looking to book my practical training for the HGV class 1 licence and today I was gathering quotations from various local and national providers. There seems to be a huge gulf in price between from local providers and the national ones.

Today I was told by two course provider representatives, that, “16 hours of driving in a rigid had to be completed before starting any hours of class 1 artic” when I asked these reps where I could read about that and get clarification on it they said ‘its just part of the rules and its the government making them so…’
As you might be able to guess the prices came out at between £3,500 to £5,100.

After ringing the local providers they said the rigid class 2 hours were not mandatory but optional and recommended. But they would include about 4 - 6 hours in a class 2 in the total price for the course which was about £2,500.

My question is (and I know it will differ all over the country) how much on average would a car to Class 1 licence cost. This is just so I don’t walk in blind to anything I really probably don’t need.

thanks

There are very few actual national training providers, so I’d guess that anyone claiming to be one is actually a broker, effectively a third party who will take your money and book you with the cheapest local providers in your area. If in doubt, ask to go along to one of their centres and see their vehicles, this will usually get them to back off. As for costs and how the training will be carried out, that will be up to the individual providers, but ask around and see what you think you would be most comfortable and confident with. Also ask if you can do assessment drives with each class of vehicle so you and they can get a feel for how much training you might actually need

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I can describe the Car to Class 1 course offered by the forum sponsor - Peter Smythe Transport Training Ltd.

The reversing, uncouple and recouple will be completed a week or two before the driving course. This makes it a separate event and hopefully takes some of the pressure out. From next week, all things being equal, this will be examined by an authorised member of staff on site. This is known as the 3a. Some residential candidates may benefit from completing this on the first day of their main course to save travel.

Then comes the main bit - 3b. This is a 25 hour course run over 5 days of 5 hours per day. This is plenty of time to achieve test standard and the 3b test will be taken on the final day. This does not happen during training time (which is the industry norm) but is scheduled to take place later in the day when the training has been completed.

Naturally, there are fees involved. The 3a module and test is £300 whilst the 3b is £2450. This includes VAT and both test fees. Note that the 3a test attracts a test fee of £40 in addition to the £115 for 3b. This is a “not very subtle” way of increasing the test fee and hoping no-one notices!

When I was working on designing this course with the new owners of the school I founded (PSTT), I was conscious that a candidate could come along, spend £2750, fail either test and end up with nothing. And this played on my mind for a while. For many years, PSTT has offered Pass Protection. This has always covered the cost of 3 retests. A retest is £350 for 3b and £70 for 3a. But the cost of Pass Protection is just £395. This must be purchased before the start of any practical training. I have managed to persuade the new owners that, at no more cost, Pass Protection will now cover up to 3 x 3a tests AND 3 x 3b tests. This gives a high level of assurance imo. It has a maximum value of £350 x 3 + £70 x 3. This is £1050 + £210 = £1260. All this for £395.

On the matter of CAT C training first, this is personal choice of the candidate. On offer from PSTT is 3 hours in a CAT C to get a “feel” of a larger vehicle, the full 14 hour CAT C course for even more practice and then the choice of whether to take the CAT C test or press on to CE. (In this case, the CE course can be reduced in time/cost).

There is absolutely no suggestion from any authority that CAT C training first is suggested/recommended or mandated. However, there are many trainers whose fleet is CAT C heavy given the new regulations. Might it be possible that this is why they are keen to get folks into a CAT C first? Not for me to say.

Trucknet users qualify for 10% discount on 3a and 3b. This makes the cost a very attractive £2475. And I strongly recommend Pass Protection at an additional £395.

Bookings are currently being taken for February, though it is possible that one or two courses may crop up in January (subject to me volunteering to do them!)

Bear in mind that free accommodation is offered if you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW. The office number is 01623 555661. I can be contacted via the forum or by pm. I’m always happy to help.

Fire away with the questions!!

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Pete S:
I can describe the Car to Class 1 course offered by the forum sponsor - Peter Smythe Transport Training Ltd.

Thanks for the quotation. As you say all providers are different and I will keep yours in mind. I have seen a very local (down the road) provider who offers very similar, but 20hrs and pass protection for two additional tries for a total of £2650 and then another one who offers the same but with 1 retake for £2500.

Having pass protection is something I would have for sure as you never know.

Thanks

I would suggest that 20hrs is cutting it very fine if it includes reverse etc. PSTT has a 20 hour incl reverse course but this is designed for CAT C or D holders.

It’s worth checking if they have their own test centre with correct reversing facilities. It makes a great difference.

And, of course, Google reviews. Check for reviews on the forum for PSTT and you’ll find 100% positive for many years. As forum sponsor, PSTT simply cant afford to screw up!

Make sure you visit any trainer you are considering. Satisfy yourself of the quality of vehicles, facilities and staff.

And good luck with whatever you decide, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Just to add to Pete’s very comprehensive answer and to go further than Terry there are no national trainers. Every single one that claims to be is a scam, sorry broker…
Check the hours they are offering if it is one to one or two to one. Nothing wrong with two to one if you get double hours. Definitely see the fleet before paying the money (unless it’s PSTT)