Roger pickering photo's

Chris Webb:

pete smith:

That’s an unusual trailer for boxes Pete? I can’t recall seeing one before,Sealand by the looks of it.

It’s Sealane Freight, based at Lydden Hill outside Dover. As far as I know Sealane are still in business, and part of Star Cargo plc group, I don’t recognise the 2 series Scania tho.

Chris Webb:
Morning Pete.

That Sed-Atki has a similar livery to W J Ridings from darkest Lancashire. :smiley:

Morning Chris,
It won’t be one of Ridings mate, if it was Moomooland would have been straight on that!

240 Gardner:

Punchy Dan:
Wasn’t there another Atki conversion from Norfolk with a 350 ■■■■■■■ fitted possibly pulled a tipper trailer ?

There certainly was: Terry Godbold’s Borderer, HER 806N - bought from Knowles/Wisbech Roadways as a 2-year-old in 1977, as I recall.

At some point, the 220 ■■■■■■■ was dragged out and replaced with a 14 litre 250, a tag axle was added to run at 38T and then a turbo ■■■■■■■ went in, I think from a Transcon.

The last update was a trip to Longton Coacraft in Leyland for a sleeper pod and new paint job - it had run in the Knowles orange until then

HER 806N - 1975 Atkinson Borderer - Terry Godbold by Mark Griffiths, on Flickr

HER 806N (2) by Nivek.Old.Gold, on Flickr

It’s notoriously quick!

Morning Chris,
Thank you Chris for all the information and the pictures on the Atki’s, Cheer’s Pete
Edit: Chris, that orange ERF parked next to the Atki, would you know if it is ex Howard Shipping and is a tag axle?

kmills:

Chris Webb:

pete smith:

That’s an unusual trailer for boxes Pete? I can’t recall seeing one before,Sealand by the looks of it.

It’s Sealane Freight, based at Lydden Hill outside Dover. As far as I know Sealane are still in business, and part of Star Cargo plc group, I don’t recognise the 2 series Scania tho.

Thanks for the info Kmills, Cheer’s Pete

Nice to see one of B.B.Read’s motors,really smart fleet. Have they packed up now ■■?

pete smith:
Morning Chris,
Thank you Chris for all the information and the pictures on the Atki’s, Cheer’s Pete
Edit: Chris, that orange ERF parked next to the Atki, would you know if it is ex Howard Shipping and is a tag axle?

Morning Pete,

You;re welcome

I’m sorry, I’ve no idea about that ERF. There’s another tantalising view of it:

HER 806N (1) by Nivek.Old.Gold, on Flickr

The photographer doesn’t seem to have bothered wit the ERF!

Walkers of Wakefield, whatever happened to them?
I used to backload plastic bottles out of Plysu for them in the 80s.

rp 679.jpg

robroy:

Morning Rob,
Would not fancy driving that outfit when it is windy, doubt if you would get into top gear, don’t know what happened to Walkers though, another company that slips your mind until you see pics of their motors! Cheer’s Pete

DEANB:
Nice to see one of B.B.Read’s motors,really smart fleet. Have they packed up now ■■?

Morning Dean,
Not a company I have ever noticed to be honest mate, Thanks for the pic, Pete

240 Gardner:

pete smith:
Morning Chris,

Morning Pete,

You;re welcome

I’m sorry, I’ve no idea about that ERF. There’s another tantalising view of it:

HER 806N (1) by Nivek.Old.Gold, on Flickr

The photographer doesn’t seem to have bothered wit the ERF!

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the other photo, I’m 99% certain it is that ERF, Thanks Pete

pete smith:

robroy:

Morning Rob,
Would not fancy driving that outfit when it is windy, doubt if you would get into top gear, don’t know what happened to Walkers though, another company that slips your mind until you see pics of their motors! Cheer’s Pete

Plus a learner driver int saddle Pete,it’s got the HGV L plate ont front.I remember Walkers well,but like you I don’t know what happened to them.

GEC Alsthom Faun Goliath 8x8 now in South Africa owned by ALE.

Pictured here heading East on the A62 during the long decent between Scouthead and Delph.
A62 Trunk Road Memories

pete smith:

DEANB:

Morning Dean,
Not a company I have ever noticed to be honest mate, Thanks for the pic, Pete

Barry Read was from Bridlington, and did general European fridge work - he sold up in about 1999.
The ‘new owners’ - apparently they were a ‘used car sales’ company from somewhere around Wetherby, changed the company name to Eurocool IIRC, and carried on trading, subbing work out - but forgetting to pay people.
Last I heard (still in about 1999), was that 1 or 2 owner drivers who were owed money, were on their way to the Wetherby area to set fire to a used car yard!

One thing that has always intrigued me when I see pictures of Barry Read’s wagons, is how he & Lee Durose from Stoke ended-up with identical liveries. There was also another haulier who had the same livery too - although he only had it on two wagons (both Scanias) and that was Ian Garvey from Burscough. They were all running new wagons in exactly the same paint schemes at the same time, so I can’t figure out how it was happening. It wasn’t as if they were second-handers, because they were all buying new around the same time.

moomooland:
1GEC Alsthom Faun Goliath 8x8 now in South Africa owned by ALE.

0Pictured here heading East on the A62 during the long decent between Scouthead and Delph.
A62 Trunk Road Memories

Morning Paul,
Thank you for the picture, it looks like those lads have their work cut out on that section of the A62, Pete

marky:
One thing that has always intrigued me when I see pictures of Barry Read’s wagons, is how he & Lee Durose from Stoke ended-up with identical liveries. There was also another haulier who had the same livery too - although he only had it on two wagons (both Scanias) and that was Ian Garvey from Burscough. They were all running new wagons in exactly the same paint schemes at the same time, so I can’t figure out how it was happening. It wasn’t as if they were second-handers, because they were all buying new around the same time.

Thank you to Marky and kmills for the information on Reads, Pete

Morning Pete.

My wife says yes,Coffee-Mate is/was Nestles. :laughing:
And I think Naylors of Leyland are still operating.

Chris Webb:
And I think Naylors of Leyland are still operating.

I’m pretty sure they are, Chris - I dealt with them almost on a daily basis when I was with Bowker, and they were superb to deal with now, all-round nice people