Roger pickering photo's

newmercman:
Chas Armstrong from SE1 with a Leyland Lynx just creeping into shot there. My Aunt ran a cafe just down the road (Jamaica Rd) from their yard.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

SE16, I think? Bowker were next door to them, in Old Jamaica Road. I well remember Armstrong in the 80s and early 90s

240 Gardner:

newmercman:
Chas Armstrong from SE1 with a Leyland Lynx just creeping into shot there. My Aunt ran a cafe just down the road (Jamaica Rd) from their yard.

SE16, I think? Bowker were next door to them, in Old Jamaica Road. I well remember Armstrong in the 80s and early 90s

I think I’m right in saying that Armstrongs only ran four -wheelers? I had a lift with one of their drivers around 1975 from Briton Ferry to Newport and I recall him saying that it was a decent firm to work for.

240 Gardner:

newmercman:

Slip of the finger, yes SE16, Rotherhithe. And yes Chris, they only ran 4wheelers.

Chris, you must’ve done as many miles in the passenger seat as you did behind the wheel [emoji16][emoji16]

newmercman:

It wasn’t The Reliable, was it?

No, Rose’s Cafe

newmercman:

240 Gardner:

newmercman:

Slip of the finger, yes SE16, Rotherhithe. And yes Chris, they only ran 4wheelers.

Chris, you must’ve done as many miles in the passenger seat as you did behind the wheel [emoji16][emoji16]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Well,I had to leave my Mandator at Swansea with a u/s compressor so log booked it home to Sheffield one Friday night.It worked out quicker than using train,took 6 hours with 8 lifts. We got paid a min of 5 hours for Saturday plus train fare including going back on Monday to pick wagon up,but one of ours was going to Gorseinon so dropped me at C V Sales.

Chris Webb:

newmercman:

240 Gardner:

newmercman:

Well,I had to leave my Mandator at Swansea with a u/s compressor so log booked it home to Sheffield one Friday night.It worked out quicker than using train,took 6 hours with 8 lifts. We got paid a min of 5 hours for Saturday plus train fare including going back on Monday to pick wagon up,but one of ours was going to Gorseinon so dropped me at C V Sales.

Thanks for all the comments regarding Chas Armstrong,
Chris you certainly rinsed the job with all these free taxi’s!

DEANB:
Another one of J.C.Deans Volvo’s.

Thank you Dean,

[/quote]
[/quote]
I can remember nearly every firm I had lifts with that night. George Beer,Calor Transport,Chas Armstrong,Corona,an F86 artic from Waterbeach,GKN artic from Telford,2 x Burtons the Tailors - or was it High Street Transport in 1975,on a Trowell Services changeover - and one of Sam Longsons/Hansons which saved me using night service bus,pub was shut though,0030 hrs. :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing:

newmercman:
No, Rose’s Cafe

Far too posh for us in those days!

[/quote]
I’m sure he was trained by a BRS driver!

pete smith:
This is your lot till Saturday morning Gents, off to Brittany for a week!

Hello Pete the Tarmac Volvo ,probably hauls out of uppingham quarry the other side of Wellington ,thank you Trevor

tastrucker:

pete smith:
This is your lot till Saturday morning Gents, off to Brittany for a week!

Hello Pete the Tarmac Volvo ,probably hauls out of uppingham quarry the other side of Wellington ,thank you Trevor

Morning Trevor,
Thank you for the info, its hard to keep up with who runs which quarries with all the takeovers etc lately! Pete

Morning Pete.

Nice to see a James “For Cheerful Service” Booth wagon,they were regulars running into and out of South Wales int 70s and are still going I think.

Another one of Brackmills. They had this F12 specially built.

Chris Webb:
Morning Pete.

Nice to see a James “For Cheerful Service” Booth wagon,they were regulars running into and out of South Wales int 70s and are still going I think.

Hi Chris,
Forgot about that slogan! Cheer’s Pete

DEANB:
Another one of Brackmills. They had this F12 specially built.

That is a motor home Dean! Cheer’s for the pic