Roger pickering photo's

pete smith:

I reckon the F10 with the wide load scraper on board is one of Westfield Transport.They have a restored AEC MK3 tin front.
On the other hand I could be wrong. :grimacing:

newmercman:
Pete I’m going through the motions of trading a 2014 Volvo for a 2002 (pre emissions) Peterbilt with a CAT engine, it looks like I’m going to have to part with around 40grand to do the deal!

The Peterbilt has a residual of 60% after 16yrs, albeit with a freshly rebuilt engine, the four year old Volvo with 500,000miles on it is worth two balloons and a goldfish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Everything after 2000 ish is throw away IMO now Mark, the Peterbilt can be rebuilt and maintained with a set of spanners, grease gun and oil can but the Volvo you’ll need a few grands worth of computer equipment and a healthy credit facility at the main steelers!
I reckon you will get most of the 40 grand back in savings on downtime and adblue purchase/faults.

pete smith:

Hello Pete its the Leyland Octopus is Jack Jones Llansantffraid ,he used to haul feed for Wynstay farmers thank you Trevor

pete smith:

newmercman:
Pete I’m going through the motions of trading a 2014 Volvo for a 2002 (pre emissions) Peterbilt with a CAT engine, it looks like I’m going to have to part with around 40grand to do the deal!

The Peterbilt has a residual of 60% after 16yrs, albeit with a freshly rebuilt engine, the four year old Volvo with 500,000miles on it is worth two balloons and a goldfish.

Everything after 2000 ish is throw away IMO now Mark, the Peterbilt can be rebuilt and maintained with a set of spanners, grease gun and oil can but the Volvo you’ll need a few grands worth of computer equipment and a healthy credit facility at the main steelers!
I reckon you will get most of the 40 grand back in savings on downtime and adblue purchase/faults.

Thats a bit of a shock , what is the problem with the Volvos are they not up to the job? Another question is how much for a new American motor if you are paying 40 grand plus a p/x for a 16 year old.I do remember you saying they weren’t put together as well as they are in Sweden but what would a 15 plate FH4 be worth here? Its hoped Iveco dont try and sell anything over there they would have to have a buy 1 get 3 free offer on the go

W J Howard Branston.never used to hang around,always on the hoof

pete smith:

newmercman:

They don’t make em like they used to Pete, I’ve got a filing cabinet full of invoices to prove it!

It used to be that you paid a lorry off in three years, traded it in and the equity in it paid half towards the new one, now they’re so expensive it’s five years before they’re paid off and they’re not worth much as a trade in. The new ones go up in 10grand increments every time they bolt on something else to meet the latest rule, emissions, collision avoidance, blah blah blah.

From the choices available to me, the 99 to 03 trucks are the best of the bunch, built to last and no unnecessary crap bolted on. Then the hard part is finding a driver that actually wants to drive a lorry and not just sit there pushing buttons all day.

I wonder what the owner of that old ERF would make of it.

ramone:

pete smith:

newmercman:

Thats a bit of a shock , what is the problem with the Volvos are they not up to the job? Another question is how much for a new American motor if you are paying 40 grand plus a p/x for a 16 year old.I do remember you saying they weren’t put together as well as they are in Sweden but what would a 15 plate FH4 be worth here? Its hoped Iveco dont try and sell anything over there they would have to have a buy 1 get 3 free offer on the go

Paul, the Volvos are made of cheese! No to be fair, all the new trucks are the same in terms of reliability, the Volvos are very good trucks, for the first three years, then it seems to be one thing after another. The Detroit DD series and the Paccar MX seem to be less problematic, but less is relative and the ■■■■■■■ engines are the worst of the lot.

I don’t have any experience of the newer Peterbilts, but they appear to be put together a bit better than the Volvos. I think you’d need to be very lucky and brave or possibly stupid to get one up to a million miles without opening one up and putting new oily bits inside.

newmercman:

ramone:

pete smith:

newmercman:

Paul, the Volvos are made of cheese! No to be fair, all the new trucks are the same in terms of reliability, the Volvos are very good trucks, for the first three years, then it seems to be one thing after another. The Detroit DD series and the Paccar MX seem to be less problematic, but less is relative and the ■■■■■■■ engines are the worst of the lot.

I don’t have any experience of the newer Peterbilts, but they appear to be put together a bit better than the Volvos. I think you’d need to be very lucky and brave or possibly stupid to get one up to a million miles without opening one up and putting new oily bits inside.

I had a theory before i read your answer but youve just blown it away. American trucks are designed for American conditions with high mileage ruggedness and longevity a must. The vast country which extends to Canada is probably incomparable with Europe . The Volvos are basically designed for Swedish and European conditions with less mileage covered and climate changes within a week rare. A possible reason why the British lorries failed against the foreign invasion where they were geared up and better prepared for the longer hauls into Europe than our offerings were and they marketed those same vehicles here . But you are saying the build quality across the board is the same these days . Everything here is automatic and plastic and expensive ,boring and souless . I didnt think the Americans would dare go down that road

I don’t want to do a Carryfast on this wonderful thread with my ramblings about the colonials and their inability to build a decent lorry, so if anyone objects, just say the word. I can push a few buttons and move the yank related stuff to a new topic.

But, whilst we’re on the subject…

It is true that American built trucks were built to last, but only for the same duration and era as the Euro ones, so post WW2 to the Millennium, after that things went downhill, coincidentally that was when emission reduction technology appeared on the scene. It’s been a mixed blessing. For the operator I can’t see a plus side, unless you like to hug trees in your spare time, but for the manufacturers it’s been a licence to print money. As I said before, you need to be very brave or stupid to take a new truck beyond its warranty period these days, I tried it with the Volvo, at first I thought myself brave, now I realize I was stupid, it’s been an expensive lesson to learn too.

During my time at TRUCK mag I spent an evening as a guest of IVECO, due to the consumption of vast quantities of the finest Italian red, I can’t remember what the event was about, but I do remember a conversation with one of the head honchos about the future of trucks. According to the man from IVECO, trucks will be similar to white goods, sealed for life components built to last for a specific period of use. Because of this components will be made lighter and cheaper, nothing will be repaired when it breaks, it will be replaced. Maximum life expectancy of a truck will be 5yrs before it’s worn out and needs replacing.

It was at this point that I could no longer resist the urge to say that IVECO buyers will be pleased at this new philosophy as their trucks will last twice as long as they do now, the look on his face had me worried that I would wake up next to a horse’s head the following morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s all gone very bad, in a very short space of time. Just 20 years ago, vehicles had very good mechanical durability, coupled with cheap rebuild costs. The emissions/security/safety crap is nothing less than a scam, in my view.

I’ve just lost my car key, and am expecting a hell of a bill for a new one, with the plipper device on it. The car is quite old, but could run for another ten years, with minimal maintenance. Replacing the key, plus a service, plus an MoT, will probably exceed the value of the vehicle. A mate of mine runs a Transit. He is a good mechanic, but is unable to replace the injection pump- a computer is needed to “mate” the electronics of the replacement pump to those of his vehicle. Even non-Ford technicians have to charge big money, because the equipment they use costs loads. I have suggested he gets a used pump, and get it mated, then carry it wherever he goes. Dunno whether that will work.

Not only is all this bad for the environment, with the increased consumption of resources that it requires, it is also a brake on genuine technological progress- the engineers developing the systems to make the vehicles unrepairable could be applying themselves to something more worthwhile. Wasting human resources is just as bad as wasting oil.

tastrucker:

pete smith:

Hello Pete its the Leyland Octopus is Jack Jones Llansantffraid ,he used to haul feed for Wynstay farmers thank you Trevor

Hi Trevor,
Them Jack Jones’s lads never hung about! Cheer’s Pete

Morning Mark, Ramone and Anorak,
No one is hi-jacking a thread it is all about discussion and opinions, I agree with Mark 100% as I too are finding it hard to comprehend all this “unnecessary crap” and these motors, I’m in the same boat, not my own money like Marks but will get the bullet if I buy wrong 'uns!,
I have gone from Scania’s to Daf’s for the 8 wheel hook loaders which pull drawbar trailers, the Dafs with all this planet saving equipment and side guards and under run bars etc are a ton heavier than the 09 Scania’s and 800 kgs heavier than the 59 plate Dafs and the 59 plate Dafs had hub reduction back ends!
I would love to have rebuilt those 09 Scanias and run them for another 7 years, a good example of this is Punchy Dan, that motor of his is a credit to him and does everything a new motor would, BUT if Dan had half a dozen of those Foden Alpha’s who would he get to drive them? He would in the same predicament as Mark is?
That is it rant over, or Mark will have to press those button because it will be all zb’s! Cheer’s Pete

I reckon that Volvo is one of Hayton Coulthard’s own motors chap.

They have a few old ones that they have restored which is nice to see.

Morning all,
After reading the last page I have phoned the Samaritans and signed up for organ donation as long as it does not go to a haulier as it looks like there is no saving them.
The one thing that has kept up with technology and solves many of the modern problems is " Contracting", leasing, fixed price per month then hand it back after the term.
You can build in everything to make it one payment per month, who wants to buy this modern equipment, If you need an “apreciating asset” buy a yard.
To day a lorry is just a tool to do a job and should be treated as such, I am sure if you work out your running costs when buying these huge “depriciating assets” contracting them would be far cheaper.
Forward planning means I have allready dug my fox hole and am now in it with my hard hat on, cheers all. Harvey

Harvey, some of the lease deals I’ve seen make total sense, it may be something I consider in the future, if the choice is to continually buy new trucks over 5yrs and replace them on a 3yr cycle then I’ll never reach the point where the vehicle is worth more than I owe on it, so a lease with a similar payment is a better deal, any breakdowns are just going to cost the price of a phone call.

A lorry is after all, just a tool to do a job, same as a drill or a shovel, but then again, they’re not just tools are they? If they were none of us would be on this site looking at pictures of lorries and having endless discussions about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pete smith:
Morning Mark, Ramone and Anorak,
No one is hi-jacking a thread it is all about discussion and opinions, I agree with Mark 100% as I too are finding it hard to comprehend all this “unnecessary crap” and these motors, I’m in the same boat, not my own money like Marks but will get the bullet if I buy wrong 'uns!,
I have gone from Scania’s to Daf’s for the 8 wheel hook loaders which pull drawbar trailers, the Dafs with all this planet saving equipment and side guards and under run bars etc are a ton heavier than the 09 Scania’s and 800 kgs heavier than the 59 plate Dafs and the 59 plate Dafs had hub reduction back ends!
I would love to have rebuilt those 09 Scanias and run them for another 7 years, a good example of this is Punchy Dan, that motor of his is a credit to him and does everything a new motor would, BUT if Dan had half a dozen of those Foden Alpha’s who would he get to drive them? He would in the same predicament as Mark is?
That is it rant over, or Mark will have to press those button because it will be all zb’s! Cheer’s Pete

Pete the slave on the pick up is learning well ,being as he’s never driven for anyone eles and I pay more than most I can’t see the brain washing program ending soon ,infact I may recruit another Virgin slave and up grade the current one to a older motor :laughing: . P. S thanks for the comments when do you want to start :wink:

pete smith:

The Volvo has the initials DT on the roof wind deflector?!

David

pete smith:
(snip)

ME!!! :smiley: In all my driving and fitting career, almost forty years, I never drove or worked on any foreign trucks (and was proud of that fact!) so would have jumped at the chance of carrying on in the same mode. Realistically though, had I been able to continue driving, that would probably have altered. I was offered one job when I was working out my notice from my last employer, the company (Nottingham based but working from local quarries etc) didn’t run any trucks themselves but “Because you have a good work rate when hauling for us” they were prepared to buy a six wheeler Volvo tipper for me to drive for them. I thought that was good of them really! Alas, apart from Stephen Dale, almost everyone local with a fleet of trucks is running non British tackle although there are still a few OD’s around here driving Foden etc and they can repair them themselves with no special equipment. Once an OD has to pay a dealership for previously ‘simple’ repairs the slim profit margin decreases rapidly.

Pete.

newmercman:
It’s very interesting to see the amount of ERFs, Fodens, Leylands and Seddon Atkis running around in the late 80s. Now they’re all long gone, they were obviously up to the job and apart from the cab interiors were more than a match for the imports, especially in the case of the 8 wheelers which were better than the competition, in my limited experience only MAN and Volvo had a decent 8 wheeler in those days.

It’s difficult to comprehend how they have all disappeared now, swallowed up by foreign manufacturers who couldn’t beat them with their products, so they bought them out and shut them down, a sad state of affairs.

^ This.

While even the issue of the imports’ supposed driver comfort superiority was arguably more propaganda than fact when comparing contemporary like with like production dates.Let alone those deliberately confusing a 1940’s type crash box with a Fuller.While ironically the move away from 8 wheeler rigids not only creating a less efficient haulage solution,for the UK conditions, but also removing one of the domestic manufacturers’ advantages over the competition in that regard.On that note I’d guess that an 8 wheeler and 3-4 axle 40 foot drawbar regime introduced in the late 1970’s might have been a game changer for the Brits which the continentals just wouldn’t have been geared up to cater for. :bulb: