Robsons 'Frae Carlisle

I drove border rambler and was based at thames board mill at workington

Bewick:

moomooland:
There must be a story about this one!

At least it hadn’t shot it’s load so they probably got it out “in tact”, wonder what it was loaded with glass ? Cheers Bewick.

That’s a good guess Dennis,it is sheeted with a bottle sheet after all!!!

David

BSERIES PAUL:
Is there any one out there who can rember the ERF B series fleet in United glass colours. I own CJM 751V a ■■■■■■■ powered day cab. I have pics of 753 and 754 but can’t find anything of 751. This months revs magazine says it was once rolls Royce powered but the manufacturer plate says ■■■■■■■■ Any info would be appreciated

I could stand to be corrected but I think that CJM741V pre-dates the take-over of Robson’s by United Glass. UG had quite a number of B Series ERF’s and as far as I can recall the T and V plates had Rolls-Royce 265L engines and 9 speed Roadrangers. There were a couple of later ERF’s with Gardner 6LXCT 240s but the only UG ERF’s that I can recall with ■■■■■■■ engines were A Series and older.

Check the wheelbase: if it’s 9’ 6" then it is almost certainly a UG truck. UG had extended a lot of 33’ flats to 40’ and converted them to curtainsiders: these had shorter (30inch?) king pins than was normal with 40’ trailers and the shorter wheelbase was specified to keep them legal lengthwise.

AECMandator:

BSERIES PAUL:
Is there any one out there who can rember the ERF B series fleet in United glass colours. I own CJM 751V a ■■■■■■■ powered day cab. I have pics of 753 and 754 but can’t find anything of 751. This months revs magazine says it was once rolls Royce powered but the manufacturer plate says ■■■■■■■■ Any info would be appreciated

I could stand to be corrected but I think that CJM741V pre-dates the take-over of Robson’s by United Glass. UG had quite a number of B Series ERF’s and as far as I can recall the T and V plates had Rolls-Royce 265L engines and 9 speed Roadrangers. There were a couple of later ERF’s with Gardner 6LXCT 240s but the only UG ERF’s that I can recall with ■■■■■■■ engines were A Series and older.

Check the wheelbase: if it’s 9’ 6" then it is almost certainly a UG truck. UG had extended a lot of 33’ flats to 40’ and converted them to curtainsiders: these had shorter (30inch?) king pins than was normal with 40’ trailers and the shorter wheelbase was specified to keep them legal lengthwise.

I think I can correct you there “AEC”, in 1974 when many County boundaries were redrawn the reg No. JM had been a Wesrmorland reg No. but it was transferred down to Reading/ Berkshire which was where the UG H.O. was located so the motor you refer to would have defo been a UG/Robson one. All the Robson motors prior to the UG takeover were mainly HH (Carlisle) and a few were RM and AO which were ■■■■■■■■■■ reg Nos. Hope this explanation helps ! Cheers Bewick.

Noticed this on ebay. I used to enjoy driving this one. It had a Rolls 265 and 9-speed Fuller in it. Robert

robert1952:
Noticed this on ebay. I used to enjoy driving this one. It had a Rolls 265 and 9-speed Fuller in it. Robert

Now that spec of Day cab ERF in the shot, RR265/Fuller 9spd/ probably Rockwell axle would have been ERF’s cheapest unit which would be very obviously sold on “price” to compete with Sed/Atk and Foden having similar poverty specs. Cheers bewick.

Has anyone got more shots ( pre UG buy out in '79) of this Great haulier, we can’t allow the thread to die !! Bewick.

A few here Dennis (Not my photos).Got them off the net hope nobody minds

DAF Border Rebel.png

Foden Border Dragoon.png
Ford Thames.png
Foden.png

Thames Trader.png

Fodens Border Dandy and Border Supreme.png

Ford D series Border Hunter.jpg

Foden Border Marquis.jpg

NMP This is how I remember Robsons as a boy Daycabbed Fodens and Flat trailers.

gardnersmoke:
Just a picture of a Robson’s Foden I should include.

This was the first lorry i drove at robsons and i was driving it at the time that picture was taken

An article about Robsons.

Click on pages twice to view.

I knew George Flenley, Robsons M.D. and I did have the privilege of meeting Stan in his Boardroom on one occasion and we had a good craic !. It was actually George who was instrumental in building up the Robson fleet in the 50’s and 60’s and he was ably assisted by Mr. N. T. O’Reilly who ran a large accountancy Practice with offices in Carlisle, Penrith and IIRC Hawse. I actually had dealings with O’Reilly’s when I acquired two “A” licences from Tommy Coward of Coward Bros. Sedbergh. Cheers Bewick.

This was the foden i drove loved it that much i wouldnt let them take it off me until i got a new Daf 2800 sleeper cab,wished i had bought the foden off them.

gardnersmoke:
Just a picture of a Robson’s Foden I should include.

This was the first lorry i drove at robsons and had it at the time that photo was taken as you can see a nice bit of sheeting

Bumped up for new sister thread. Robert

Stanfield:
A few here Dennis (Not my photos).Got them off the net hope nobody minds

Border dragoon , john Armstrong at the wheel , north east driver based from home ,

Didn’t they have a depot in Fliwick, Bedfordshire at one point?

Geoffo:
Didn’t they have a depot in Fliwick, Bedfordshire at one point?

Yes, they did have a depot at Flitwick. I remember going in there to do a trailer change over when I briefly drove for them in '89. Robert