Robsons 'Frae Carlisle

these 4 fodens were robson,now in the livery of united glass. Mr Robson was right what he said when he seen Little eddy coming round the corner, Nows the time to Pull out, Also Alf Sutton of ST Helens told eddy to leave General Haulage game alone,one of the reason robson started to loose mb work, they were ask if they run down to mb Leicester and pick up a drum of laquar, and this was a saturday afternoon, he never did it, ed was ask to do it, and he did. he had a Green mini, took the passenger seat out, drove down to Leicester, put the full drum in and went back to Carlisle, when mb ask ed how much he wanted for doing the job, ed said nothing, just give me work for the lorries.now he is out of Metalbox.

233[1].jpg

G Atkinson from Brough now own this restored Robson’s ERF C series

Kindest regards
CG

There hasn’t been much going on here lately so I thought I would post this classic shot,and await some more posts from our fellow members about this great old transport company.

A workshop shot at Carlisle when DAF’s were predominate in the Robson fleet.

Back in 1989, United Glass assembled a motley fleet of time-expired old ‘gentlemen’ from the Robsons fleet in a temporary depot in Sittingbourne, Kent; to run out of Queenborough glassworks delivering new bottles round the home-counties. In any other sphere these would have probably been used as shunters. Never mind, I spend that summer variously driving Border Valour (DAF DKSE), Border Olympic (ERF B-series), Border Brutus (ERF B-series), and Border Isis(Scania 112). 90% of the time, I was on the B-series ERFs (Olympic and Brutus). They had Rolls-Royce 265 engines, which by then were a bit noisy, sluggish and smelly, but they both had perfectly-installed 9-speed Fuller 'boxes which made up for everything - bliss! Sometimes I had to do change-overs at Robson’s Flitwick depot. First the ERFs…Robert :smiley:

And here’s Border Valour, the DAF which had a 9-speed Fuller in it from what I remember; and Border Isis, the Scania. Robert :slight_smile:

This is a shot I took of the temporary Sittingbourne depot - I’ll bet it’s the only picture of it in existence! And below are two more pics of those B-series ERFs. Robert :slight_smile:

A few here off Bob Hobbs site transportphotos.com

CX00218.jpg
JLC00184-1.jpg
JSc00317-01.jpg
VS01621.jpg

Here is a picture of Border Valour I found somewhere in cyberspace. It’s a good picture, whoever took it, and it was clearly taken in its prime, before I drove it. Somewhere, I have a photo of this unit when it was retired as a shunter, but I can’t find it. It may even be still alive somewhere! Robert

border valour 2800.jpg

I came across this in an old TRUCK magazine.

One more from me

robert1952:
Back in 1989, United Glass assembled a motley fleet of time-expired old ‘gentlemen’ from the Robsons fleet in a temporary depot in Sittingbourne, Kent; to run out of Queenborough glassworks delivering new bottles round the home-counties. In any other sphere these would have probably been used as shunters. Never mind, I spend that summer variously driving Border Valour (DAF DKSE), Border Olympic (ERF B-series), Border Brutus (ERF B-series), and Border Isis(Scania 112). 90% of the time, I was on the B-series ERFs (Olympic and Brutus). They had Rolls-Royce 265 engines, which by then were a bit noisy, sluggish and smelly, but they both had perfectly-installed 9-speed Fuller 'boxes which made up for everything - bliss! Sometimes I had to do change-overs at Robson’s Flitwick depot. First the ERFs…Robert :smiley:

Great photos Robert and I never knew there was a temporary depot in our part of the country,cant believe it Robsons based in the Garden of England . thanks Chris Lawrence.

Stanfield:
A few here off Bob Hobbs site transportphotos.com

Great shots John ! I wonder which engine that D1000 had in ? ■■■■■■■ or maybe the Ford Turbo 6cyl,judging by the reg.no. I think it may have been the ■■■■■■■ V8.Cheers Dennis.

Oxford diecast are releasing a 1:76 scale Robsons Daf2800. looks quite smart: jumbliesmodels.com/model-roa … rder-p5798

some great pictures of a lot of vehicles i had the pleasure of riding in as a kid in the 60s .70s riding shot gun with a driver from chester le street called john armstrong and as you said drivers where based all over the north of england and at the time parking a truck in the back street wasnt a real problem as it is today and so drivers had loads ready and loaded for there area to ensure they got home frequently
searching through some old photos a couple of years ago i found a robsons spotters list which had registration numbers name and make of truck listed and we would cycle to washington services and sit on the foot bridge hoping to see any robsons wagons passing (sounds familliar to a certain green and red liveried fleet i know)
this is a portrait of the last truck john drove at robsons which i did for him on his 70th birthday hope you like it great times ,great memories.,

paul ward:
some great pictures of a lot of vehicles i had the pleasure of riding in as a kid in the 60s .70s riding shot gun with a driver from chester le street called john armstrong and as you said drivers where based all over the north of england and at the time parking a truck in the back street wasnt a real problem as it is today and so drivers had loads ready and loaded for there area to ensure they got home frequently
searching through some old photos a couple of years ago i found a robsons spotters list which had registration numbers name and make of truck listed and we would cycle to washington services and sit on the foot bridge hoping to see any robsons wagons passing (sounds familliar to a certain green and red liveried fleet i know)
this is a portrait of the last truck john drove at robsons which i did for him on his 70th birthday hope you like it great times ,great memories.,

Like what you wrote Paul and like your painting well done
Liked Robson,s my self :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Leyland 680:

paul ward:

Like what you wrote Paul and like your painting well done
Liked Robson,s my self :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Give me Robsons anytime I used to back load from them quite often from the MBC,Botcherbey to Dainty Dinah Sweet factory in Chester le Street, Or the dreaded Tyne Brand at North Shields with canse for Tiny Tim Cat Food, Happy long gone days before the G & R Lot you mentioned, Regards Larry.

Would I be correct in saying that Robsons had a depot warehouse faciltey at Pity Me Co Durham, An old friend of mine drove for them for quite some time before he retired, Marshall Eglin, He worked for Salkelds, S.C,Cook Gurteens , Then Robsons, He lived at Castleside & still does as far as I know, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Would I be correct in saying that Robsons had a depot warehouse faciltey at Pity Me Co Durham, An old friend of mine drove for them for quite some time before he retired, Marshall Eglin, He worked for Salkelds, S.C,Cook Gurteens , Then Robsons, He lived at Castleside & still does as far as I know, Regards Larry.

PS I forgot to mention that he was a Foden driver & he certainly new how, But he had a DAF at Robsons, Regards Larry.