Robert Baillie Transport,Portsmouth and Horndean

Whilst trawling through many threads on this “Old Time Lorries” section of Trucknet,
I saw a maroon Atkinson Borderer with a number plate that looked familiar…ETX 993K
A quick look on the Robert Baillie thread,and there it was again,parked in their yard at
Horndean. I believe the lorry was new to John Raymond of Bridgend,after which
it was bought by Baillies. After a couple more owners, it became the handsome
preserved lorry that we see here. “Well Done” to the Owner/Preservationist.
I hope it is alright to show this picture of ETX 993K,and another which I have found.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

ETX 993K.png

Further to the picture of Atkinson ETX 993K on my last post, Is there any Trucknet member
out there that knows of a picture of ETX 993K, when it was new,and in its early days with
John Raymond of Bridgend. Perhaps some of the South Wales Trucknet members,or the
Atkinson posters will know. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Further to the picture of Atkinson ETX 993K on my last post, Is there any Trucknet member
out there that knows of a picture of ETX 993K, when it was new,and in its early days with
John Raymond of Bridgend. Perhaps some of the South Wales Trucknet members,or the

I think I have seen one published - perhaps a Peter J Davies photo - from the offside front.

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

I think I have seen one published - perhaps a Peter J Davies photo - from the offside front.

Thank you 240, I will try to find it, I believe it was owned by Eagleway Freight of Fareham after it
left Baillies, and later spent some time in Guernsey, before returning to England, where it is now
in preservation. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

993K.png

Ray Smyth:

240 Gardner:

Ray Smyth:

Thank you 240, I will try to find it, I believe it was owned by Eagleway Freight of Fareham after it
left Baillies, and later spent some time in Guernsey, before returning to England, where it is now
in preservation. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hi Ray,
Found a pic of the aforementioned Atki upon its return from Guernsey, N.M.P re-posted off the South Wales thread,

download.jpg

Hi Pete, Thank you for the PM Pete . I will have to learn how to do Facebook,
or Facetube,or whatever its called. With regard to the Guernsey Atkinson picture,
I have seen it before,and not too sure about it being the same machine.
Have a look at the shape of the headboard name sign,and compare with the picture
taken in Baillies yard at Horndean, and also its picture as it is now in preservation.
Thanks again for your efforts, Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

From the mid 1960s, the main source of traffic for Robert Baillie Transport
was Guernsey Tomatoes, for distribution throughout the United Kingdom.
At the height of the growing season, it was sometimes necessary to sub some
work out to reliable hauliers, as is seen here, with almost a full load carried
by J.H.Rose & Sons of Gillingham, Dorset. I don’t know the location.
I am grateful to Bubbleman for the picture.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Hello Ray, we have talked before.
Re Mick Ansell, did he not own/run Eagleway freight out of one of the old Forts near Portsmouth, or am I getting confused.
I sold an F86 8x4 tipper to a Bob Merick and the name Mick Ansell fits in there somehow, sorry, to many questions this earley in the morning.
Harvey

Hi Pete , With regard to your picture of Atkinson Borderer ETX 993K in Guernsey,
your comments are correct. I am reliably informed that whilst the Atkinson was
in Guernsey, it received a replacement cab roof section, of the later, and slightly
different design. My informant also mentioned that the gentleman who owns it
and restored it, fitted an original roof section. I am still hoping to find a picture
of ETX 993K, from its early days with John Raymond of Bridgend.

Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

HRS:
Hello Ray, we have talked before.
Re Mick Ansell, did he not own/run Eagleway freight out of one of the old Forts near Portsmouth, or am I getting confused.
I sold an F86 8x4 tipper to a Bob Merick and the name Mick Ansell fits in there somehow, sorry, to many questions this earley in the morning.
Harvey

Hi Harvey,
Hope you are well, you are correct Mick ran Eagleway Freight up on Fort Wallington in Fareham,nice chap,I think he sold out to Mainland Market Deliveries.

Bob Merrick used to run Hughes & Co in Portsmouth and last I heard was living in the Wylye Valley in Wiltshire.

Regards
Richard

Hello Ray, You sent me a message about Atkinson vehicle ETX993K that you said Robert Baillie
owned but you wanted a pic of it when John Raymond first owned it.

As I have mentioned on this thread earlier, the main source of traffic for Robert Baillie Transport
was tomatoes from Guernsey, and occasionally from Jersey, and also Cauliflowers & Parsley from
Brittany, which was usually sufficient for 9-10 months of the year. During the quieter months of
November to February, the loads to the North West could be large bales of rubber to Dunlop at
Speke, Liverpool, and sometimes to Wrexham. Another regular source of work was bales of wool
for Bradford and Keighley. Double deck “Chest Freezers” from LEC Fridges at Bognor Regis was
yet another source of traffic during the quiet months, for delivery to LEC Fridges at Burnley.
This picture is one of their AEC Mandators, with a 40ft curtain sided tandem trailer, with single
wheels. A full load of fridges would never exceed 8 tons, definitely a top gear load.
Picture courtesy of Bubbleman.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Atkinson Borderer.

2017-07-02 09.48.58.jpg

Thank you to DEANB for posting the above picture of Atkinson Borderer POA 509M.
The load on the Crane Fruehauf trailer is approx 90 steel nesting pallets and canvas
covers heading for Portsmouth, to be returned to Guernsey, to be used again for the
tomato traffic. Kind Regards, Ray Smyth.

I have just had a closer look at Atkinson Borderer POA 509M, pictured above,
and the drivers nickname “SHY TOT” is in the windscreen. I do not know his
real name, but I expect some Portsmouth/Horndean lads will know who it is.

Regards, Ray Smyth. : :question: :question:

Robert Baillie Transport new depot in 1976, on Worthington Way, Wigan.
The company remained here until about 1985. In the 1st picture the forklift
truck is driven by Jack McLoughlin (RIP). The 2nd picture is from 1981. Ray Smyth.

Scan%202.jpg

Atkinson Borderer ETX 993K, now in preservation was new to John Raymond of Bridgend,
It passed to Robert Baillie at Horndean in the mid 1970s. Not my picture. Ray Smyth.

ETX 993X RB.png

ETX 993K......jpg

Just come across your post, I think you may be talking about my dad? Who worked for Robert Bailey then went to work for chi grain along with there a truck they brought from there.

Tim Walker:
An A series ERF in the workshop. The only company I can think this may have belonged to was Chichester Grain, who employed an Ex Robert Baillie driver. (this is well before the CB radio craze and they all had two way radios to contact the combine harvester, hence the twin ariels)

The Ex Robert Ballie Driver was Brian Forster, who indeed did drive this ERF. After that Chichester Grain brought a Atkinson from Ballie’s (POA 509M)

This picture was originally posted on page 1 of this thread. Senior Trucknet Member John (old 67),
has very kindly improved the image of the picture, with skills that I don’t have.
The gentleman in the centre is Terry Walker, then a fleet engineer with Beecham Group.
Terry was with Robert Baillie Transport from the start in the mid 1960s until the mid 1980s.
Because of failed eyesight, Terry resides at Blind Veterans Home, formerly St Dunstans, Brighton.
The picture is courtesy of Tim Walker, Terry`s son. Regards, Ray Smyth.