Crockerton haulage

Came across these pictures the other day, taken at Alloa Gala Days around 1980 and '81

Regards

Iain

great pics Iain!

To all Crokerton followers

With deep sadness I wish to advise that Bob White “Old Man Crock” passed away on Monday the 23rd of July 2012 surrounded by his family.

He is loved and missed by all that knew him.

Funeral date still to be arranged.

Julie (Bob White’s Grandaughter)

R.I.P Bob done a few days for you years ago in a green d series god bless you

Please accept my condolences, my late father held Bob in very high regard.

Regards and sympathy

Iain

god bless Bob…the best governor i ever worked for. R.I.P

Very sad news indeed - many happy school holidays spent down at Old Ford Works, Ripple Road.

R.I.P Bob

It is with much sadness and a heavy heart that I have to write that my beloved dad Barry Church passed away on the 13th August 2021.

He passed away peacefully after a brave 18 month battle with illness.

He always said that working for Crokerton Haulage was the best job that he had ever had.

Rest In Peace dad. Until we meet again.

Paul

My deepest sympathies Paul, he was one of the good guys

Best Regards

Iain

Does anyone remember a firm called Crockerton Haulage as my old man drove for them many years ago. I think they were an english firm but had a depot in Alloa Scotland. Seem to remember my dad having an Atkinson borderer with a sleeper cab before he got a new Daf 2800.Does this firm still exsist does anyone have any pics of there lorries .

If i am not mistaken could they have been from around Peterborough,Yaxley area?The name rings a bell

Remember them well used to be at maybells farm barking had dseries transcons were around for years changed to tinley at barking then had some tie up with certs good motors nice people

They were next to Forest Freight in Barking, I do have a funny story about one of there drivers, but he may not have found it so funny at the time, I may tell it one day. they had a nice fleet of trucks Blue and White always well turned out.

I Remember them as i worked for Canute and they had one of there old Daf 2800 still in crockerton colours

i think they were an essex company if its the one i am thinking of i went to school with paul white the owners son who drove for his dad

Bob White ran Crokerton’s along with his brother Ernie. When the company finished up, Bob started Thimley Transport, running out of River Rd, Barking.
I remember Crokerton’s Alloa depot pretty while from when I was a young boy. Just up the road from United Glass as I recall.
My dad travelled up with Bob to Alloa to help set the depot up.
The Sed-Atki Borderer mentioned was on one of two or three on the fleet. My dad at one stage drove KLT 921P.These were not sleeper cabs as such, but had the ‘rabbit hutch’ affair on them containing a fold out bed, of sorts.
My dad has some pictures somewhere of the Volvo F88 that he drove from new SMH 912S. This vehicle was eventually purchased from the company by Martin Nichol, who as you know if you worked for Crokerton’s, was the depot manager at Alloa before becoming an O/D.

Would like to say that it is nice to read of old companies such as Readers. Does anyone remember Crescent Transport or Stokes who used to do work out of Hedges & Butler at Three Mills, along with Crokerton’s?

I remember Peter and Michael Stokes when I worked at P&O box lane .Stokes used to provide 5 or 6 trucks a day in the busy times and took care of all the trailer servicing for P&ocl.Forget their Dads name but Peter used to deal with the planning and Michael ran the workshop IIRC.The last time I see Peter (about 3 yrs ago ) he was driving with a curtain sider doing a bit on his own.I think in those days most hauliers in that a13 corridor had a dabble with OCL as it was so easy just to provide a unit for a day or 2 with no trailers to worry about as it was all pre-mounted. The likes of Thurrock,Drapers,Cabmont,Laceys(when the continent was quiet) BFI,Spurlings,Peter Wooten etc and numerous O/D’S .

hello churchboy hows your dad.Crockerton haulage was one of the best firms i ever worked for a good bunch of blokes well most of them and a firm where you never stopped laughing the place was full of characters .Maybells industrial estate was our place of residents on the a13 between scrattons and the texaco garage ,most of our work was in the drinks trade delivering nationwide and into france we also had a depot in alloa that also had a good crowd of lads its just a shame that they sold out to a crap company.

Is that you Mr Holmes?

Stand corrected on earlier post - It was Bob & Alf Whie, not Ernie.

Hello young Paul how are you doing i see the old man now and again when i am walking the dog hope your mum and sister are ok.I still keep in touch with johnny B and saw Paul White the other day he stopped and had a chat but i could not talk to him for long as i was taking my grandson to school.Its a shame the old firm is not still going as i said one of the best and a few of the boys have sinced passed on to that truckstop in the sky good lads one and all.Well son keep in touch and take care of your self.