Richard Long

Their yard is in the middle of nowhere so Lorraine’s shouting doesn’t disturb the neighbours.

Fincham:
Their yard is in the middle of nowhere so Lorraine’s shouting doesn’t disturb the neighbours.

She would have to shout very loud as she’s no longer present they got divorced last year

vonmax:
I have a mate that works there on euro,doesnt get paid weekends out,■■■■■■ off with them now he’s leaving shortly only on about 520/550 a week

I got more while on for them 10 years or so ago …

raymundo:

vonmax:
I have a mate that works there on euro,doesnt get paid weekends out,■■■■■■ off with them now he’s leaving shortly only on about 520/550 a week

According to recent rumours there has been a rise and it’s now about £630 in the bank

eurotrans:

raymundo:

vonmax:

According to recent rumours there has been a rise and it’s now about £630 in the bank

So you’re saying that Brits work on lowloader continental work for approx 100pw takehome less than fresh flipflop imports on inUK tipper work ?

Don’t know what tipper rates are but if that’s the case yes.I know a few guys that have worked for him over the years and they all say the job is good and interesting but it’s let down by the wages and of course the attitude of the office staff

kyk:

eurotrans:

raymundo:

vonmax:

So you’re saying that Brits work on lowloader continental work for approx 100pw takehome less than fresh flipflop imports on inUK tipper work ?

Its nothing new, plenty of day men in blighty earning more then the lads “doing europe”.

To some, rightly or wrongly, the money isnt the main factor, i imagine nights out in newport pagnell arent the same as nights out in la jonquera.

Just left Richard long.

It’s great if you want European experience + low loaders and driving different types of machinery however don’t expect any training.

Take home around 600 a week. when your on holiday your only paid £60 a day before tax that’s part of the reason I left! Weekends not paid for, parking not paid for.

Use to many toll roads and it comes out of your wages according to contract. Any damage you pay for It. all straps are pretty old and knackered which is pretty bad for this kind of work. Have to give a week in hand and when you leave they hold onto it until they are certain you don’t owe them money for damages etc. Then last pay will be made by Richard long by check :smiley:

Most trucks are decent however there are still plenty of crap ones and chances are if your new you’ll be put it one. I got upgraded to lhd last week and had to throw all the mats in the side locker because they smelt like the bottom of a wheelie bin heating didn’t work and fridge was absolutely disgusting.

In France if you have anything over 2.55m wide it’s classed as convoi exeptionel and you can’t go on autoroutes/toll roads. You have a map & book in the truck telling you what roads you can and can’t go on towns you must avoid at certain time of the day etc etc and it’s all written in French as well which helps :smiley: and fines can be huge in Europe so make sure your good at sticking to the routes

Job isnt to hard though tbd Andif you can keep your head down and mouth shut, try and get a newer clean truck then all is good if don’t mind the pay that is. But tbh from phoning around other European hauliers it’s all pretty much the same. You can definitely earn more in the uk but the work is obviously not as fun.
Hope that helps anyone.

DannyDC2:
Just left Richard long.

It’s great if you want European experience + low loaders and driving different types of machinery however don’t expect any training.

Take home around 600 a week. when your on holiday your only paid £60 a day before tax that’s part of the reason I left! Weekends not paid for, parking not paid for.

Use to many toll roads and it comes out of your wages according to contract. Any damage you pay for It. all straps are pretty old and knackered which is pretty bad for this kind of work. Have to give a week in hand and when you leave they hold onto it until they are certain you don’t owe them money for damages etc. Then last pay will be made by Richard long by check :smiley:

Most trucks are decent however there are still plenty of crap ones and chances are if your new you’ll be put it one. I got upgraded to lhd last week and had to throw all the mats in the side locker because they smelt like the bottom of a wheelie bin heating didn’t work and fridge was absolutely disgusting.

Most drivers are ass kissers so be careful what you say because they will grass.

Sounds great! :laughing:

I overtook one of theirs today (21/01/2019) in Belgium & on British plates.

Some trucks on British plates but still lhd though. Don’t think he’s worried about brexit in all honesty but I guess only time will tell.

DC17148:
I have seen Richard Long in Norfolk advertising for UK drivers and as they are local to me am thinking about giving them a go. Has anyone got any recent experience of their UK work ( hours pay conditions etc) that they would care to share? I have searched the archives but can’t find any recent comments.
If you are currently working for them and don’t want to comment publicly feel free to PM me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Regarding day work you’ll be doing anything from tipper work (sugar beet), hay and straw, potatoes and occasionally machinery I would imagine. Don’t know what uk drivers get paid and they hours will definitely be long.

Not getting averaged pay whilst on hols is illegal now you know. Check gov.co.uk/holidaypay

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

DannyDC2:
Just left Richard long.

In France if you have anything over 2.55m wide it’s classed as convoi exeptionel and you can’t go on autoroutes/toll roads. You have a map & book in the truck telling you what roads you can and can’t go on towns you must avoid at certain time of the day etc etc and it’s all written in French as well which helps :smiley: and fines can be huge in Europe so make sure your good at sticking to the routes

Job isnt to hard though tbd Andif you can keep your head down and mouth shut, try and get a newer clean truck then all is good if don’t mind the pay that is. But tbh from phoning around other European hauliers it’s all pretty much the same. You can definitely earn more in the uk but the work is obviously not as fun.
Hope that helps anyone.

Don’t see how they can pay £60 per day holiday pay, that would be illegal, more fool drivers for standing for it.

I tried telling them but they wasnt having any of it. It even states in your contract that you get paid your basic but they still wouldn’t listen to me so I had enough and quit.

Any good company would try and resolve such an issue but they didn’t even care lol probably prefer it when drivers quit because they get free labour when they keep there money for not working there notice.

I told them I wouldn’t work my notice because the truck was too smelly and cold and that the truck would be coming back to the yard. Instead of trying to persuade me to stay they just tried getting me to finish the delivery first instead and to get a collection before bringing the vehicle back lol unbelievable and as I was at Cherbourg waiting to get on the ferry they said I wouldn’t be able to board that boat if I wasn’t going to continue with the delivery as it cost to much to use that crossing :unamused: so I said fine I would do your ■■■■ delivery, got of the boat at Poole and head straight back to the yard

Sounds ideal. Don’t suppose you’ve got an application form you can send me? [emoji23]
[emoji57]

DannyDC2:
I tried telling them but they wasnt having any of it. It even states in your contract that you get paid your basic but they still wouldn’t listen to me so I had enough and quit.

Any good company would try and resolve such an issue but they didn’t even care lol probably prefer it when drivers quit because they get free labour when they keep there money for not working there notice.

I told them I wouldn’t work my notice because the truck was too smelly and cold and that the truck would be coming back to the yard. Instead of trying to persuade me to stay they just tried getting me to finish the delivery first instead and to get a collection before bringing the vehicle back lol unbelievable and as I was at Cherbourg waiting to get on the ferry they said I wouldn’t be able to board that boat if I wasn’t going to continue with the delivery as it cost to much to use that crossing :unamused: so I said fine I would do your ■■■■ delivery, got of the boat at Poole and head straight back to the yard

They’ve been at it for over forty years and to them you are just another disgruntled ex-driver. All the time people want to work for them and be abused they will carry on.

DannyDC2:

Companies can put anything they like in your contact. It doesn’t mean that it’s legal/enforceable

waddy640:

DannyDC2:

They’ve been at it for over forty years and to them you are just another disgruntled ex-driver. All the time people want to work for them and be abused they will carry on.

Haha every moaning waster in an RDC waiting room summed up in one succinct sentence. If you don’t like it - walk.

These outfits will never change as long as they don’t have to. In my opinion, a good few of them would have gone to the wall years ago, but they were saved by an influx of superhumans from the newly enlarged EU.

nomiS36:
Sounds ideal. Don’t suppose you’ve got an application form you can send me? [emoji23]
[emoji57]

Don’t need one, just turn up with all your gear and you’ll be driving a truck out of the yard and over that little hump back bridge in about 15 minutes … :slight_smile: