Richard Long Transport ..

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone currently works or has worked for Richard Long transport ?

See an ad in the paper and it involves continental work , never heard of them before so was wondering if anyone could give a little info … pay etc also if possible :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Type in the company name into the search facility and read the mixed reviews some love it others dont

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60533&hilit=richard+long

Norfolknewbie:
some love it

Struggling to find that part of it !

luke40885:

Norfolknewbie:
some love it

Struggling to find that part of it !

no i never found the bit where anybody found it an enjoyable experiance. :laughing:

Maybe ‘love it’ was too strong a term, however on page 2 of the thread I looked at Raymundo and Ironstipper did say a couple of positive things.

i know 2 or 3 blokes who worked there for a few yrs each, good job, top tackle, they all say blokes in the office were the problem, not nessicarily the boss. they all finished due to wanting more time at home. And they were English, not flip-floppers. i think its a case of if your face fits more than anythimg, but that happens anywhere thou.

I have just finished at Richard long transport after 6 months of working there. My advice is do not go unless you are desperate for work, they are a terrible company to work for!

iv’e got a mate on there says he don’t find it to bad. they do push you fairly hard and he is away 2 weeks at a time. might not be suited for everyone just depends what your attitude to work is :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

wildfire:
iv’e got a mate on there says he don’t find it to bad. they do push you fairly hard and he is away 2 weeks at a time. might not be suited for everyone just depends what your attitude to work is :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’ve often thought about giving them a try just for the experience. It doesn’t sound like a company you could stay at long term but for six months or a year I’d do it. Mate of mine called them a few months back and they told him he’d have to be away for 4 weeks before they’d even consider getting him home, and even then there would be no guarantee. Those words were from Mrs Long. He turned it down in the end as he’s got no European experience and that would definetely be getting chucked in at the deep end. Though that is often the best way.

In fairness it’s a world where a lot of hauliers are no longer in business they still are even if they’re not winning a popularity contest with drivers.

I don’t know if their reputation is deserved or not but they can’t be doing everything wrong.

He doesn’t like fat blokes or people in baggy trousers! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am quite surprised he gets any applications, unless he only employs weak kneed vegetarians.

Sorry, did I say HE. I meant SHE! :stuck_out_tongue:

Own Account Driver:
In fairness it’s a world where a lot of hauliers are no longer in business they still are even if they’re not winning a popularity contest with drivers.

I don’t know if their reputation is deserved or not but they can’t be doing everything wrong.

From what I’ve gathered over the years through the grapevine and from people that know the Long’s personally it would seem that you’d get on very well there if you crack on with the job, go where you’re sent and stay out indefinetely. The thing they hate more than anything is drivers wanting to go home.

robinhood_1984:
. The thing they hate more than anything is drivers wanting to go home.

I know it’s so inconvenient when people want to have a life apart from work. :neutral_face:

Yeah but you do get a nice shiney lorry. I suppouse to someone with no ties it’s probally an interesting varied job. He is narrowing his options with a no fat lorry driver policy though. :smiley: :smiley:

jessicas dad:

robinhood_1984:
. The thing they hate more than anything is drivers wanting to go home.

I know it’s so inconvenient when people want to have a life apart from work. :neutral_face:

A life outside of work?! Now go and wash your mouth out with soap! :wink:

kr79:
Yeah but you do get a nice shiney lorry. I suppouse to someone with no ties it’s probally an interesting varied job.

Thats true enough. OK for a temporary adventure for the experience and heck of it. I think it would take an extremely hardened cab happy hermit to stick it out long term though.

Yesterday I saw a very smart brand new giga actros thingy all sprayed up in their colours, moving away from scania maybe?

I worked for Claas for over a year and I am going back there in the summer, and Longs do their main haulage from Le Mans in France carrying tractors and from Harsewinkel in Germany carrying the other machinery. Spoke to a few of their drivers, and the kit is nice, smart etc. However they all say the same thing, it is the top of the tree that is the problem, they treat their drivers like crap.

I cannot vouch for this, as I have not dealt with the management themselves, I always went through their little office that they have out the back of Claas. But the feeling that I always got was that the drivers are ran to the ragged edge, as when I asked for a lorry to move a machine to a show, they came back and said “well, we can but it won’t be for another 3 weeks…” :unamused: In the end I hired in a van with a trailer and moved it myself… :sunglasses:

Left hookers, right hookers, lorry and drag combinations, artics, 7.5 tonners, they have the lot. They even sent a pickup from Norfolk to meet me in Edinburgh to drag a little trailer back… :unamused:

I hope this is of some help. :laughing:

There’s always someone daft enough…