RHD ERFs with 5MW cabs

3300John:
Hiya Robert. the red and maroon shunt lorry(12 th picture down) was Mick Badderly from the Stoke area he
had at least 2. 5mw,s maybe 3. one was in a terrible crash near Jct 15 at Stoke, a Wilkinsons overnight crossed
the barrier and hit the 5mw on the front drivers corner. the driver(a young lad ) was killed instanly.
John

Ah, this one, you mean John? Robert

6925441386_0d8d82d147_z.jpg

robert1952:
[

3300John:

robert1952:

3300John:
Hiya Robert. the red and maroon shunt lorry(12 th picture down) was Mick Badderly from the Stoke area he
had at least 2. 5mw,s maybe 3. one was in a terrible crash near Jct 15 at Stoke, a Wilkinsons overnight crossed
the barrier and hit the 5mw on the front drivers corner. the driver(a young lad ) was killed instanly.
John

Hiya…yes Robert. they did Heinz work into Cornwall and clay back to Stoke on Trent. they pulled 40ft dropside trailers
as you could see near the back of the 5 MW.there was maybe 5 companies all doing the same work and useing ERF,s but
not steel cabs. there was Mick Badderly… George Rhodes two Baileys but different outfits and John Jenks. all useing dropside
trailers and ERF units of different types.John Jenks always used twin steer units.
John

That’s very interesting, especially the detail about the dropside trailers, which have never been common in the UK! Cheers John. Robert

3300John:

robert1952:

3300John:
John

Hiya…yes Robert. they did Heinz work into Cornwall and clay back to Stoke on Trent. they pulled 40ft dropside trailers
as you could see near the back of the 5 MW.there was maybe 5 companies all doing the same work and useing ERF,s but
not steel cabs. there was Mick Badderly… George Rhodes two Baileys but different outfits and John Jenks. all useing dropside
trailers and ERF units of different types.John Jenks always used twin steer units.
John

hi Robert & john,

it was Mick Bailey & N&J Bailey, Mick Bailey is still going but has only got 1 Scania 730 now which 1 of his sons Paul drives & has Pauls name on but it is actually Micks. Mick runs a concrete company called minimicks. They have just bought 1 of there old ERF e series back off Keith Stanworth fairground bloke to restore it back to when they had it originally.
I remember that accident, it was terrible.
cheers
gaz

This one?

Ezer Goode by fryske, on Flickr

fryske:
This one?

Ezer Goode by fryske, on Flickr

ah yes, Mr Fryske! One of the finest examples of the lovely E-series around - I have other pictures of this unit.

Well, this thread, if nothing else, all goes to show that Motor Panels made really beautiful 5MW cabs for ERF, even if the buggers didn’t tilt! Robert :smiley:

Got the following information from a quick phone call to J B McBean .

The 5MW of theirs, as pictured towards top of this page is on ERF stand at Scottish Motor Show in Kelvin Hall Glasgow , around 1973 .

It went on to gain reg no. SSY 892 M , & was fitted with a Gardiner 8LXB 240 , apparently one of only two 5MWs to have such engines , the other went to Suttons of St Helens.

Casual Observer:
Got the following information from a quick phone call to J B McBean .

The 5MW of theirs, as pictured towards top of this page is on ERF stand at Scottish Motor Show in Kelvin Hall Glasgow , around 1973 .

It went on to gain reg no. SSY 892 M , & was fitted with a Gardiner 8LXB 240 , apparently one of only two 5MWs to have such engines , the other went to Suttons of St Helens.

Thanks for that valuable info ‘Casual Observer’, here is the picture again so that we all know which one you mean! And I’ve put your info in the new caption. Robert :slight_smile:

Just run a DVLA vehicle enquiry on SSY 892 M ,with following results

Date of 1st registration 04 / 01 / 1974.

Date of liability ( when road fund licence expired / due for renewal ). 25/ 11 / 83 .

Appears to have had a working life of 9 1/2 years or so .

Casual Observer:

Date of liability ( when road fund licence expired / due for renewal ). 25/ 11 / 83 .

That’s very respectable! Nice livery too. Thanks for bothering to look all that up, mate. Robert :smiley:

Do yuo mean only two right hand drive 5mw’s were fitted with the Gardner 240?, because Cadwallader’s left ■■■■■■ was a 240. Chris.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Do yuo mean only two right hand drive 5mw’s were fitted with the Gardner 240?, because Cadwallader’s left ■■■■■■ was a 240. Chris.

Now that’s interesting, because Richard Read’s LHD 5MW (that was later converted to RHD) also had a Gardner 240. I wonder if he means that only 2 were fitted to RHD units… Robert :unamused:

This hybrid beastie is described elsewhere. I’ll see if I can find the details. Robert

7173393808_0a9f331407_z.jpg

Casual Observer:

Good suggestion and nice research-mode! I today checked some old registrations
and it really works, even with year of production, engine-capacity, no names though.

Use following link, fill in the registration and make and there you go!

gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

From the 5MW’s I know of…I found Read/ViJoRe HDF228N from 01/02/1975 to 01/06/1996 (>21 years!)
and Cadwallader BNT939L from 21/11/1972 to 01/12/1983 (>11 years) and probably more to discover.

In the make-selector hardly old makes are given, but there is a “other” selection, to select further.

I did try quite a few no’s in Vehicle Enquiry , but some return with no information available.

Re the 240 powered 5 MW , I am only passing on info I received from a call to J B Mcbean , about being one of a pair , I would assume this does refer to RHD units . McBean were a mainly ERF fleet , until marque disappeared .

@CO: I agree, some registrations show nothing now, but quite a majority (7MW-, and B-series)
do give reliable information on production-year and working-life.

Attached an article out of “The ERF story” written by Brian Weatherley in 1993. Enjoy the content.

@CO: I am aware I (again) polute some threads, however I could not leave behind
the front cover of a 1981 B-series-brochure. Nice livery and to me the black front
has nothing to do with an ‘attack’ towards the DAF 2800 or Volvo F10/12 front but
merely (quote Robert1952: fashion) a next step into the automotive future.

Just found these two:
hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t … ile-2x.jpg

Found another photo of SSY 892M , under copyright , so here is a link .

SSY is first photo , clicking it will enlarge it .

I tried a link to that photo only ,but it kept coming up with 2 nd photo , USY 306 N

Hi, not sure if I,m misunderstanding re- two right hand drive 5MW’s with Gardner 240’s. I drove the Phelps and Davies ERF and it had a 240 in it.
Lovely to see it after all these years. Not sure where this photo was taken or when. perhaps after P&D finished as she always pulled fridges.
Really enjoyed driving her with that wonderful straight eight engine note. The story goes it was a motor show model, hence chrome bumper etc. cheers now Ed.