Kiwi ERF MW tractor unit

NZ JAMIE:
G’day,thanks for the pics and info.
He’s the old ERF that I was talking about,It must have sold as it’s no longer on ‘Trade me’

It’s a little unusual spec for NZ,most were 6X4 and ■■■■■■■ powerd,this has a five pot Gardner.

This is not one of my pics,but it shows a more typical NZ MW. There were a few of these carting logs on Nelson wharfs into the 90’s

Hiya…now that engine remark will put the cat among the pidgeons

5 pot Gardner? ■■? I’m sure I can see 2 pot sticking out the back…I’ll get me coat

3300John:
…That mw ERF was shown on E bay the odd bit about it was a 15 speed fuller bolted to a 180 Gardner. That was after market modification…

This one wasn’t, it was built like that.
It’s a 64GXB unit fitted with a Fuller RTO915 gearbox, even the unit serial numbers match the original ERF build sheet, nothing has been altered.

ND888 BIGJ:
5 pot Gardner? ■■?

It’s a typo by Jamie - it’s a 6LXB 180.
With Jamie’s help we returned this 3MW cabbed tractor unit to the UK in October last year.
It’s owned by a good friend of mine, and I had the task of getting it running on arrival…

15481825622_10fa1cd511_z.jpg

Nice to know that the ‘rescue’ unit has at last been rescued! Robert

Teignmouth Devon on 15th July 2012.
Oily

oiltreader:
Teignmouth Devon on 15th July 2012.
Oily

Nice pic - not seen it before. That unit, I am told, had an A-series chassis from birth. Robert

3300John:
i was talking to one of the Turner brothers at the weekend and he let me take a photo of there old ERF sorry its black and white.

heres a lorry sprayed up and owned by him

John

hiya john , i remember that old girl well , i had an lv identical to andrew’s at the time and wrote it off on symonds yat, so they replaced it with another steel cab . derek had the m reg and geoff smith had the n reg . both lorries had the 250 ■■■■■■■ . cheers , dave

there you go Robert someone who drove a 5 MW and hard over the tops of Buxton…you can ask him he… will tell you.
it may have been the Albert Dale lorry.

Not an MW and not in NZ, but it is an ERF and it’s closer to NZ than anywhere else in the World.

uploadfromtaptalk1425710653773.jpg

3300John:
there you go Robert someone who drove a 5 MW and hard over the tops of Buxton…you can ask him he… will tell you.
it may have been the Albert Dale lorry.

Cheers John! Robert :slight_smile:

newmercman:
Not an MW and not in NZ, but it is an ERF and it’s closer to NZ than anywhere else in the World.

Looks like an early LV cab crew-cab probably being used as a sleeper… Robert

robert1952:

newmercman:

It is a 2LV sleeper cab.
A very unusual vehicle - I have several photos of it at Sandbach before it went out.
I think it survived until quite recently, but was totally destroyed by fire unfortunately.

ERF:

robert1952:

newmercman:

It is a 2LV sleeper cab.
A very unusual vehicle - I have several photos of it at Sandbach before it went out.
I think it survived until quite recently, but was totally destroyed by fire unfortunately.

Ah-ha! Thanks for that snippet. It’s nice to see confirmation that some of these LV full cabs were in fact sleepers and not just crew-cabs. Robert

did the red and white rescue ERF have a Gardner engine■■? and is that the lorry in Graham Bailey colour green■■?

3300John:
did the red and white rescue ERF have a Gardner engine■■? and is that the lorry in Graham Bailey colour green■■?

ERF mentioned this red & white one on one of these threads recently: it’s back in UK now and still has its original Gardner 180 and 15-speed Fuller. Robert

I was referring to the Red & White one when I posted this (below) with a photo of its engine a few posts back…

ERF:

3300John:
…That mw ERF was shown on E bay the odd bit about it was a 15 speed fuller bolted to a 180 Gardner. That wuas after market modification…

This one wasn’t, it was built like that.
It’s a 64GXB unit fitted with a Fuller RTO915 gearbox, even the unit serial numbers match the original ERF build sheet, nothing has been altered.

ND888 BIGJ:
5 pot Gardner? ■■?

It’s a typo by Jamie - it’s a 6LXB 180.
With Jamie’s help we returned this 3MW cabbed tractor unit to the UK in October last year.
It’s owned by a good friend of mine, and I had the task of getting it running on arrival…

image.jpg

Hay fellas,
Thought this may be of interest,you don’t see too many of these around anymore. Are there any that have been restored in the UK? I know there were never that many released in the UK. I can’t say I’ve seen any in the usual classic truck magazines.
trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor … 054661.htm

NZ JAMIE:
Hay fellas,
Thought this may be of interest,you don’t see too many of these around anymore. Are there any that have been restored in the UK? I know there were never that many released in the UK. I can’t say I’ve seen any in the usual classic truck magazines.

Hi Jamie, I can’t see the pic in your link but if it refers to the 5MW there are a couple in the uk but as you you say they were rare over here, Kings Heavy Haulage of Bristol had 1 and Leicester Heavy Haulage had some.

Heres a pic of a restored one: ccmv.fotopic.net/p57154584.html

37114:

NZ JAMIE:
Hay fellas,

Hi Jamie, I can’t see the pic in your link but if it refers to the 5MW there are a couple in the uk but as you you say they were rare over here, Kings Heavy Haulage of Bristol had 1 and Leicester Heavy Haulage had some.

That mw ERF was shown on E bay the odd bit about it was a 15 speed fuller bolted to a 180 Gardner. That was after market modification but
the truck was in good condition.there was infact quite a lot sold in the UK Turners from Buxton had 4 or5 Berresfords from stoke had a dozen
Richard read had quite a few on the middle east run and also Eric Vic run steel cab ERFs on the middle east Caddwallader had some on continental
and Leicester heavy haulage had some Albert Dale run one with a big ■■■■■■■ on the Swiss run It was a good cab but rusted badly like the
Fodens big J,s and Crusaders

i was talking to one of the Turner brothers at the weekend and he let me take a photo of there old ERF sorry its black and white.

heres a lorry sprayed up and owned by him

John