Rear steer trailer axels

That’s the fun of it :wink:

Found this on my phone, one of the trailers i use at work

I recently did some CoOp deliveries around North Wales with a twin axle rear steer trailer (including Wrexhan centre). I did quite a lot of maneuvering (including reversing) and was amazed at the level of maneuvarability it had. The same run with a six wheel rigid would have been much more of a challenge. It seems to me that a rear steer axle trailer would offer a big advantage in a LGV C+E test scenario. Can a rear steer trailer be used a test or is there some restriction ?

We have some 26t 6 wheelers with rear steer, they’re pretty good also, but i reckon the artics are still more manoverable.

have ASDA moved into “express store” market like tosco and sainsburys as saw an ASDA unit on the M1 haulin a short length twin steer with asda livery, trailer looked brand new and never seen one of those behind a asda truck before. surely they are not used for RDC work? are the bays that tight :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Asda used to have rear steer tri-axle curtainsiders about 12 years ago. They were used for store deliveries. some drivers didn’t like them and would lock the rear wheels, but the rear steer made the trailer follow the units path more closely, so no need to swing so wide on R/bouts etc. The big problem was going backwards, the system should automatically lock the wheels when reverse gear is selected, but we found that, unless all wheels were in a straight line, often they didn’t lock, so you needed to do it manually before you tried going backwards.

truckerjon:
Asda used to have rear steer tri-axle curtainsiders about 12 years ago. They were used for store deliveries. some drivers didn’t like them and would lock the rear wheels, but the rear steer made the trailer follow the units path more closely, so no need to swing so wide on R/bouts etc. The big problem was going backwards, the system should automatically lock the wheels when reverse gear is selected, but we found that, unless all wheels were in a straight line, often they didn’t lock, so you needed to do it manually before you tried going backwards.

ah i see, this one was twin axle reefer i think…

rhudson:
I recently did some CoOp deliveries around North Wales with a twin axle rear steer trailer (including Wrexhan centre). I did quite a lot of maneuvering (including reversing) and was amazed at the level of maneuvarability it had. The same run with a six wheel rigid would have been much more of a challenge. It seems to me that a rear steer axle trailer would offer a big advantage in a LGV C+E test scenario. Can a rear steer trailer be used a test or is there some restriction ?

I doubt there’s any restriction on using them for a test but they’d be more of a handful for newbies than a normal trailer which is more forgiving.

I’ve used the city trailers with the wedge, they’re like driving solo almost, except going backwards, the technique to reverse with them is to ignore the rear axle and line yourself up using the lead axle, obviously keeping an eye on the 10ft of steered overhang swinging around.

The castor steered trailers have been around for years, they were very popular in Italy, some had a pair of axles in the middle with a castor steered rear axle right on the arse end so they could get around the tight mountain roads easier than a normal artic, them things really did swing out wide.

I once saw a shunter in a tug come tearing down the yard with a rear steer tilt, he had it lifted right up in the air so that all the weight was on the rear axle, when he turned at the end of the yard the trailer went past him and end up dragging him backwards down the yard :laughing:

Cruise Control:
have ASDA moved into “express store” market like tosco and sainsburys as saw an ASDA unit on the M1 haulin a short length twin steer with asda livery, trailer looked brand new and never seen one of those behind a asda truck before. surely they are not used for RDC work? are the bays that tight :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I do some agency work for asda and have seen these trailers in a few stores, typically with them pulling out smirking at me entering a store yard with my 13mtr box on…

some of their stores are not too artic friendly, never had a go with a rear steer trailer yet though myself :slight_smile: