Rear steer twin axle trailer

Hi all, Last night i had a 8 meter twin axle trailer. Is there a way of locking the axle for the purpose of reversing. i did try pulling forward so the whole lot was straight but it was still wandering around when i was going backwards.

cooper1203:
Hi all, Last night i had a 8 meter twin axle trailer. Is there a way of locking the axle for the purpose of reversing. i did try pulling forward so the whole lot was straight but it was still wandering around when i was going backwards.

You get passive steer which means it works just like a trolley wheel and they are the type you need to lock straight before you reverse.

Then you get positive steer which means it has a forced steering, normally there’s a wedge that sits in the V of the 5th wheel, with a turntable built into the trailer that links to the steer axles via chains, bars or hydraulics. These type steer in reverse too, most of that type of trailer you had are positive steered, so do steer in reverse.

That means they react a lot quicker, as it pivots on the front axle which is quite close to the middle of the trailer, but the trick is to just pretend that the steered axle isn’t there and just focus on the none steered axle

Well explained Stevieboy, spot on that.

Had to use a single axle steering urban trailer at one time, that really was weird, if you looked at the body when reversing you’d end up all over the place, you had to watch the wheels, once mastered it was a lovely little thing for getting in tight places though and weighed bugger all.

I think your right it must of been a positive steer trailer because there was a beam across the back of the 5th wheel stopping me from making sure the bar was across the pin properly

cooper1203:
I think your right it must of been a positive steer trailer because there was a beam across the back of the 5th wheel stopping me from making sure the bar was across the pin properly

You just can’t reverse
Try using less steering input you won’t end up chasing it and looking a fool

WH Malcolm…

Had quite a few rear steer tri-axles. 9 times out of 10 they did exactly what they were told. Occasionally the system wouldn’t operate and that usually happened when it was raining. If it was an empty, it became a test of your reversing skills to get it into a slot or a bay with the last axle trying to steer you the opposite way.