Extra long trailer

im training on an e l t as :slight_smile: they call them next week anyone on here tow one and if so how do you find them out on the road,cheers

hothow:
how do you find them out on the road,cheers

Normally attached to a tractor unit :wink:

By all accounts there no different to a standard trailer just longer, I just don’t get all the hype about it.
When I was at walkers crisp a driver said I couldn’t pull a potato trailer loaded with potatoes as it was heavy and had to be trained :open_mouth:
So when I said ■■■■ and there’s me thinking that running at 70t was heavy.
Needless to say he disappeared before he embarrass himself further .

BOT … Just take it steady till your use to it Bold bloke will tell you as they use em

i think the only thing to look out for is the trailer swing at the rear in tight yards

usually a rear steer last axle which may be mounted further back on trl chassis basically wider rear swing and you might have to lock the rear steer for reversing (most auto lock )its rather a challange to reverse with an oppisite lock on the trailer

The ones that we have, you cannot lock the rear steer.
When turning left, you have to make sure there isn’t anything coming on the opposite side of the road as you’ll wipe them out.
When turning right you also have to make sure there isn’t anyone walking on the pavement as you’ll wipe them out.
You have to be very careful on roundabouts.
When reversing the idea is to get it straight before entering the lined area of the bay as the rear of the trailer can step out by eight foot.
Also, when you drop it, make sure the rear steering wheels are straight as if not, it can knacker up the rear steer mechanism if the next driver doesn’t notice when coupling up.
As an example, there were roadworks just before you turn left into one of our yards.There were plastic barriers in the middle of the road and every time one turned the back of the trailer would knock these down.

They should rename them " trailers that are just a little bit longer than normal" as they really arent that long, i cant understand what all the fuss is about

I did some training on ours (rear axle steer), last week. Its a bit odd when you start reversing and the rear axle isn’t locked, it starts ’ crabbing ’ across the yard lol. A quick shunt forward again clicked it straight. If it didn’t, I could manually lock the rear most axle.

Out on the road, if anything, they sat in the lanes at roundabouts better than the standard tri axles.

chaversdad:
They should rename them " trailers that are just a little bit longer than normal" as they really arent that long, i cant understand what all the fuss is about

It’s not the length that’s an issue, it’s the way they turn. Sweepsters post above sums them up very well. You want to try taking one thru a busy city centre, then you’ll know what the ‘fuss’ is about.

I would imagine these days you will get a weeks training course or something, (which I aint knocking btw)

I remember being sent down from Carlisle to Plymouth at 22 yrs old, with less than a yrs experience, with a Trombone,… now that was hairy. ( note to the newbies, I don’t mean a musical instrument btw :smiley: )

15 meter and a steering axle on the same trailer OMG :unamused:

They are called LST’s (Longer semi-trailer’s), they are currently on trial over here. They are either 15.65 Meters long - 30/60 Pallets (With small under-run bar between axle 2 & 3) or 14.6 Meters - 28/56 Pallets (looks almost identical to a 13.6). Info on the trial is here - gov.uk/government/collectio … iler-trial

They (15.65M) have a rear steer that doesn’t lock when going backwards (Not at 2 companies I have used them at).

Pretty much as pointed out above, its the left swing when turning right and the right swing when turning left, quite the opposite from the normal 13.6M tri-axles. Reversing is good fun, but you soon adjust.

The MGW’s are the same but the axle weights on the ones I have used have been 9000kg each, rather than the usual 8000 each.

busteredwards:
You want to try taking one thru a busy city centre, then you’ll know what the ‘fuss’ is about.

everyday I travel through built up towns and down back streets/one way streets/tight corners with an extender opened to 55ft with 5 or 6ft of steel beams hanging over the back and I didn’t go on a course or come on here asking someone how to drive it , so I,ll stick with what I said at the start “i really don’t see what all the fuss is about with these extra long trailers

chaversdad:
I didn’t go on a course or come on here asking someone how to drive it

Neither did I. :unamused:

Was told they was banned from CO-OP newhouse as with the extra lenght they over hang the pedestrian walkway !

Fallmonk:
Was told they was banned from CO-OP newhouse as with the extra lenght they over hang the pedestrian walkway !

They come into Birtley , and block the pedestrian walkway. but its not hard to walk around the cab :smiley:

Fallmonk:

No there not.
There is a longer trailer in with fresh virtually every day - SNT are in regularly with their T cab or long line & Mclennahan pick up blue pallets from round the back with an LST all the time.