Advice please

Hi all I’m a new pass (Friday) on Monday I’m taking out my first artic with a rear steer 2axle urban trailer. What I’m after is any advice/help on what I should be aware of and how is this likely to be different to the tri axle 40 odd foot trailer I trained in? Any help gratefully received
Thanks
Andy

Andy1969:
Hi all I’m a new pass (Friday) on Monday I’m taking out my first artic with a rear steer 2axle urban trailer. What I’m after is any advice/help on what I should be aware of and how is this likely to be different to the tri axle 40 odd foot trailer I trained in? Any help gratefully received
Thanks
Andy

Being a tandem Axle it will turn much quicker than a tri axle. So less steering input required. Also find out if its auto locking or has a lock button for the rear steer for reversing which will make reversing much more manageable.

Also I’d say watch out for the rear swing more with a rear steer.

Tbh I’ve never used them on the road only when shunting in the yard but they turn quickly without the rear steer and way more if it is unlocked.

AFAIK rear steer should really only be used going forward. Some will lock when your in reverse with the wheels straight and some have a switch to lock or unlock the steer axle.

Either way you should be given some twining ideally by the company before being just left too it.

If its a full on urbantrailer that steers when going backwards,takes a bit of getting use to,but nothing to worry about. If it’s a rear steer there should a lock button, or it will auto lock, drive forwards straighten up, engage reverse, should lock the axle which moves,

You will benefit from increased manoeuvrability, trailer will track unit around corners, so cut in will be less. There is a lot of tyre drag when cornering with a triaxle, so you will find driving around town much easier.
Make sure unit and trailer are aligned before engaging reverse gear, otherwise it may not lock in, and send back of trailer in unexpected direction. Critical in town situations. You may be better locking manually if you know it is tight. Either way watch mirrors like a hawk for first few hours, and familiarise yourself with axle locking before journey.

Our urbans don’t lock on reverse and are managed by a ‘cheese wedge’ behind the pin that slots into the 5th wheel. When coupling up, ensure the wheels are straight, if not then as a novice I’d ask a shunter to couple up and get the wheels straightened for you.

When reversing watch what the rear tyre is doing as that is the way the trailer will go. As others have said you will find you need much less steering input. Ask the boss if you can do a few practice shunts in the yard so you can gauge how the trailer reacts to your inputs.

Out of interest, is it supermarket work? If so then the rear steers can be a godsend at some shops.
Whereabouts are you?

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:
Our urbans don’t lock on reverse and are managed by a ‘cheese wedge’ behind the pin that slots into the 5th wheel. When coupling up, ensure the wheels are straight, if not then as a novice I’d ask a shunter to couple up and get the wheels straightened for you.

When reversing watch what the rear tyre is doing as that is the way the trailer will go. As others have said you will find you need much less steering input. Ask the boss if you can do a few practice shunts in the yard so you can gauge how the trailer reacts to your inputs.

Out of interest, is it supermarket work? If so then the rear steers can be a godsend at some shops.
Whereabouts are you?

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Hi it’s pallet work based south of Cambridge. I’m hoping to get a bit of practice and some help before I go out, they’re a good bunch so hopefully will help without judging lol

Going forward not much to worry about. Going backwards most of the urbans don’t lock the steering so they’ll turn quicker in reverse and it takes a bit of getting used to so don’t worry if it makes you look like you’ve just passed your test. Definitely easier reversing if you’re in a 4x2 unit and not a 6x2.