Quit my "job" over this

dieseldog999:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
your in the wrong job bud.
take them as and when it suits you and if youve not got the bottle or inclination to debate it then go on the sick for 2 or 3 weeks as an alternative solution.
just give them reasonable notice that due to personal circumstances that is none of their business then you will not be available to work for that 2 week period…simples

Problem is the last 2yrs we have been jollying around Europe for 3 weeks at a time on the F1 work so it’s ‘like’ a holiday. Not for me lately spent the last 3 weeks going to and from Ireland. Back over there Thursday this week.

Im still one of those unfortunate types that likes to get out and about and picked a niche job that keeps me away from any general haulage or supermarket DC’s.

mrginge:

dieseldog999:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
take them as and when it suits you and if youve not got the bottle or inclination to debate it then go on the sick for 2 or 3 weeks as an alternative solution.
just give them reasonable notice that due to personal circumstances that is none of their business then you will not be available to work for that 2 week period…simples

Problem is the last 2yrs we have been jollying around Europe for 3 weeks at a time on the F1 work so it’s ‘like’ a holiday. Not for me lately spent the last 3 weeks going to and from Ireland. Back over there Thursday this week.

Im still one of those unfortunate types that likes to get out and about and picked a niche job that keeps me away from any general haulage or supermarket DC’s.

Is one of your collections in Thurles ?

You’re agency, so your WTD hours are of no consequence to the company, whereas their driver’s are, that’s one important fact to escape your notice. Secondly the full time bloke and the office wallah are probably mates, or have worked together for a while, so it’s only natural that the company driver is going to get looked after, that’s just human nature, thirdly, just how much traffic is there at 4am that you were in danger of being maimed or killed by sitting in the van? And finally, you dressed yourself I imagine, so the fact that you were cold (in June lol) is nobody’s fault but your own.

IMHO all this could have been solved by a single MTFU pill.

Grumpy Dad:
Is one of your collections in Thurles ?

Not this time, Basically glued to the East coast between Rosslare and Armagh.

mrginge:

dieseldog999:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
makes a good difference then…your on holiday half the time your away…you should be booking 2 weeks on brain dead rdc work and realise how much of a gift your own job is… :smiley:

newmercman:
You’re agency, so your WTD hours are of no consequence to the company, whereas their driver’s are, that’s one important fact to escape your notice. Secondly the full time bloke and the office wallah are probably mates, or have worked together for a while, so it’s only natural that the company driver is going to get looked after, that’s just human nature, thirdly, just how much traffic is there at 4am that you were in danger of being maimed or killed by sitting in the van? And finally, you dressed yourself I imagine, so the fact that you were cold (in June lol) is nobody’s fault but your own.

I wasn’t going to post in this thread of mine anymore but…argh…

1. 2 months ago working for the same company, I had to go into the agency office to sign an infringement notice for having worked for 6hrs 10 mins straight
  2. I’m a guy. Guys have egos. Ego gets hurt, things happen that may not always seem logical to the outside observer
  3. It was near an airport so lots of ubers, busses, private cars, vans going in
  4. Yeah it wasnt that cold, about 8-10 degrees but you can imagine how it feels after spending 3.5 hours in a warmed up cab. That was the least of my problems, luckily it wasn’t raining

Some companies will ask you to do stuff that ain’t your job, other will tell you to do it. The ones that tell you and expect you to obey or else can ■■■■ right off → this way, as far as I’m concerned. To each his own etc. Had they asked if I was OK with it because so and so - here are the circumstances, the outcome of the whole thing might’ve been different instead of mumbling a half-arsed excuse when I finally got back to the yard as I had already made up my mind about leaving.

To the poster who was suggesting the other driver was nearing 60 hrs for the week - shifts at this place rarely go over 8 hrs, in fact there was a notice on the board a while back demanding full-time drivers to not go home if their shift lasted for less than 9 hours (as they’re salaried) but hang about in the yard and help out with stuff around until the full 9 hours. Over 45 hours a week they get OT, I think. If sitting by a stranded van won’t affect my WTD hours how will it affect his?

That’s the beauty of agency, you don’t like something, no need to do it more than once.

Roymondo:

ETS:

Conor:

ETS:
Yeah i can understand that but 1. It was a van so no card and 2. he was on a local delivery with 2 pallets 20 miles from the yard and I was coming back from 2 drops and a collection 150 miles from the yard with 6+ driving hours on the tacho.

He still has drivers hours, in his case GB Domestic Hours, and working time directive to comply with. You had plenty of time left. ■■■■ it up buttercup or go find a non-driving job because this is going to happen more than once in your time driving lorries, agency or full time.

I don’t know how you’re allowed to drive if you can’t read

My last break had been at 21:30, what about my [zb] WTD hours? How the [zb] is a driver on a single local run 20 [zb] miles from the yard on more hours than one coming from a 300 mile round-trip who happens to be an agency driver who conveniently is paid a flat rate with no OT

By the same token, how are you allowed to drive if you don’t understand the WTD as it is applied to mobile workers…?

The simple fact that the other guy was already on overtime suggests that he has already done a full working week. As a result it’s quite possible he was getting close to the 60 hour weekly working hours limit (which could well account for him being given a short, local run…).

How did being required to sit with a broken down vehicle (and then drive it back to base) adversely impact on your WTD hours anyway?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

The only way for you to accumulate working hours while waiting would be to class the waiting time as WORK, but the waiting time is POA as you’re WAITING, you can’t work unless you decided to pull out a toolbox and fix the truck.

If the perm driver was on overtime, then that suggests the longer he’s out the more hours he’s paid on overtime, and if he’s getting paid that then he may as well be working and get the shift done ASAP, whereas your Agency will charge a basic rate per hour ( a lot higher than your hourly rate ) wether it’s 1 or 15, the agency will foot the bill for time and a half etc.

I’m with the op.

Get a phone call as I’m nearing the end of my shift…to sit with someone else’s broken motor.

Not happening son.

ETS:
; I didn’t want to call anyone at 3:30 a.m. to bother them with MY problems, either :laughing:

I wish you’d used this logical before posting this ■■■■■■■■■

ETS:

newmercman:

I wasn’t going to post in this thread of mine anymore but…argh…

1. 2 months ago working for the same company, I had to go into the agency office to sign an infringement notice for having worked for 6hrs 10 mins straight
  2. I’m a guy. Guys have egos. Ego gets hurt, things happen that may not always seem logical to the outside observer
  3. It was near an airport so lots of ubers, busses, private cars, vans going in
  4. Yeah it wasnt that cold, about 8-10 degrees but you can imagine how it feels after spending 3.5 hours in a warmed up cab. That was the least of my problems, luckily it wasn’t raining

Some companies will ask you to do stuff that ain’t your job, other will tell you to do it. The ones that tell you and expect you to obey or else can [zb] right off → this way, as far as I’m concerned. To each his own etc. Had they asked if I was OK with it because so and so - here are the circumstances, the outcome of the whole thing might’ve been different instead of mumbling a half-arsed excuse when I finally got back to the yard as I had already made up my mind about leaving.

You should just have have left it at your previous post mate :smiley: , you’re just making things look even worse to those who see things different to you. :neutral_face:
Here’s my take on your points.
1.You didn’t HAVE to do anything, they don’t own you.
When all this infringement signing ■■■■■■■■ all started I refused to sign anything for about 2 months until I found out for sure what potential implications there could be…I’m still living to tell the tale, nobody hit me with a death sentence.

2.I’ve got the biggest ego you could imagine :blush: : :laughing: ,… but I fail to see how your ego applies in this particular case.

3.All the more chance of getting a lift home if they continued to ignore you.

4.Still can’t see a problem, and I still would have kipped in the van though.

Maybe you should go full time in a proper job rather than agency, so you are better looked after, and are able to stand up for yourself better.

ETS:
Some companies will ask you to do stuff that ain’t your job, other will tell you to do it.

Every employment contract I’ve had whether it agency or permanent has had a clause in it stating I have to carry out any reasonable order or request. Doesn’t matter whether it is my job or not, if its legal and its something I can do then there’s no reason not to do it. You can of course refuse perfectly reasonable requests like this was or to do something that isn’t in your job remit but as an agency driver expect the phone to ring less and less.

Reading this post, the situation sounded extremely familiar to me.
Firstly, I thought I had “deja vu” moment. :smiley: Then I realised, I saw a white ■■■■■■ van and a DAF rigid transferring some cages around 3:00 last Saturday on Airport Way near Birmingham Airport. :frowning:
This really matches the OP’s description and timing. (ETS please confrim) And yeah guys, I can confirm it didn’t look safe for anyone to stay in that broken down vehicle as it was on slope and at curve.

So, I would have been on the grass verge if it was me as well.

P.S. ETS, I slowed down and tried asking whether you are fine guys, but you seemed too occupied transfering them cages. blue curtainsider with Scania unit :neutral_face: