QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

biggriffin:

Chris Webb:
Here’s a question.

How can I find out the UK hours/driving regs from 1968 up to 1982 ? I have searched but to no avail.

When I started driving, the hours rule was explained like this, see you when you get back tonight, leave it with you, :smiley:

I always thought that around 1968 you made the rules up as you went along (and always fill the log book/sheet in in pencil, then you can erase things and change to suit your needs. :smiley:

HRS:

Buzzer:
Now I am getting older 70 later this year I am not sure how much longer I can pass an annual medical for my LGV licence, if I give it up will I still be able to drive a 7.5 ton truck on my ordinary car license or have the rules changed in that respect, on my current card license it does say that I am entitled until 2021 to drive class C1E which is up to 12000kgs train weight (7.5ton + trailer) but after this date I think is when I have to re apply for all classes of driving license including my car classification does any one know, cheers Buzzer.

Morning Buzzer,
Took my medical last month and my new licence arrived last monday.
C1 = 2022 & all else 22
C = 2020
CE = 2020
74 later this year, not sure if this is of any help. Harvey

70 ■■ 74 ■■..I’m associating with mere children here :unamused: Back in the day when I woz a lad there was none of this ere C1E/C/CE/7.5 ton business, it was a case of “get thissen off with yon AEC and ring in when you’re tipped”. :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Here’s a question.

How can I find out the UK hours/driving regs from 1968 up to 1982 ? I have searched but to no avail.

I started driving in the late 60’s but forget how many hours you could drive, not many Ministry checks then so more or less a case of doing what you had to do. My first log book was more like a diary than the graph type, you wrote down on the left side the town you left and time then on the right side where you arrived and time. Most of the time my log wasn’t filled in till another wagon going the other way flashed his lights and held up a log book or a piece of paper then it was given a quick scribble.

Think you had to have at least 10 hours off and we usually worked a 60 hour week.

What are the advantages of mid lift units compared with tag axles. I personally prefer a tag for traction and manouverability reasons .With a manual box i would probably be regarded as being downright greedy

What are your considered opinions on the ‘Smart’ motorways? Just for the record I think they are a bad idea, particularly as they put Armco along the very edge even where there is room to actually get off the road. The controlled section on the M42 doesn’t seem to run any smoother to me than any other section of motorway.

John.

John West:
What are your considered opinions on the ‘Smart’ motorways? Just for the record I think they are a bad idea, particularly as they put Armco along the very edge even where there is room to actually get off the road. The controlled section on the M42 doesn’t seem to run any smoother to me than any other section of motorway.

John.

I think until a lot of drivers start changing their style of driving and moving to the left, instead of thinking this is my lane & I am staying in it and sod the rest of you, they are a waste of time & money.

Dave…

ramone:
What are the advantages of mid lift units compared with tag axles. I personally prefer a tag for traction and manouverability reasons .With a manual box i would probably be regarded as being downright greedy

Main difference for me is that when empty the ride is bouncier with a tag.

Another thing is that the unit has a bit of tailswing with the tag up which isn’t as pronounced in a midlift where the drive axle is right at the back. Manoeuvring through a narrow gate for example requires a bit of extra care due to the wing sticking out when the unit is at an angle to the trailer. Can be a balance of trying to keep the trailer wheels out of the ditch on one side while trying not to take out a post with the opposite side of the unit! I do prefer a tag though for the same reasons you mentioned.

dave docwra:

John West:

John.

I think until a lot of drivers start changing their style of driving and moving to the left, instead of thinking this is my lane & I am staying in it and sod the rest of you, they are a waste of time & money.

Dave…

Every night between the M1 junction and the M606 junction on the M62 is a complete joke.The biggest problem is they drop the speed limit to 40 mph with no need whatsoever.The real reason is making money from speeding drivers .If they turned the speed limit signs off the traffic would flow.They evem have the speed restrictions on sunday mornings .Its all about revenue

ramone:

Good morning “Ramone”
The big advantage of a tag axle artic is the manoverability.
Wheel base,about 2.8 on a 6x2 tag unit and about 3,4 on a mid lift, twin steer. ( centre of steer axle to centre of drive axle)
Back in the 70.s earley 80.s there were a lot of “ODD” trailers that had different pin lenghs due to ever changing and going forward legislation and it was not uncommon to back a 6 wheeler under an old trailer and either hit the back of the cab or bash your rear lamps and wings on landing legs, BUT a 6x2 tag axle unit would almost pick anything up, ok, some times you may have an axle overload situation but thing were not clear to the boys in blue any more than us back then, and the slider helped. wont go on but that should give you some idea. Harvey

Chris Webb:
Here’s a question.

My memory of this is that you were allowed to drive a maximum of 10 hours per day on a 14 hour spreadover, which must be followed by 10 hours rest. You were allowed to drive 60 hours per week and had to have a full 24 hour rest period in any seven days.

John.

HRS:

ramone:

Good morning “Ramone”
Wheel base,about 2.8 on a 6x2 tag unit and about 3,4 on a mid lift, twin steer. ( centre of steer axle to centre of drive axle)
Back in the 70.s earley 80.s there were a lot of “ODD” trailers that had different pin lenghs due to ever changing and going forward legislation and it was not uncommon to back a 6 wheeler under an old trailer and either hit the back of the cab or bash your rear lamps and wings on landing legs, BUT a 6x2 tag axle unit would almost pick anything up, ok, some times you may have an axle overload situation but thing were not clear to the boys in blue any more than us back then, and the slider helped. wont go on but that should give you some idea. Harvey

I`m a big fan of the tag ,the real point to my question was i suppose why do hauliers prefer (land crabs) mid lifts ?

ramone:

HRS:

ramone:

I`m a big fan of the tag ,the real point to my question was i suppose why do hauliers prefer (land crabs) mid lifts ?

Dont have the proper answer “ramone”, if indeed there is one. however from my own experiance I would say ride comfort especially if you have to bounce anywhere.
Also would be interesting to see the ratio of jacknifing between the two in bad weather as the shorter wheel base would be more inclined to turn. Harvey

ramone:

dave docwra:

John West:

John.

Dave…

Every night between the M1 junction and the M606 junction on the M62 is a complete joke.The biggest problem is they drop the speed limit to 40 mph with no need whatsoever.The real reason is making money from speeding drivers .If they turned the speed limit signs off the traffic would flow.They evem have the speed restrictions on sunday mornings .Its all about revenue

I’m sure those overhead speed limit signs never get switched off on that bit of the M62. I was there yesterday in the car…60 limit for a couple of miles for no reason that I could see, traffic was flowing well and then suddenly it’s a sea of brake lights.

ramone:

HRS:

ramone:

Good morning “Ramone”

They’re cheaper. it’s easier and simpler engineering to design a chassis for mid-lift axle instead of a tag axle.

Jelliot:
Not so long ago I was waiting in the transport managers office and he made a comment " Tomorrow it’ll all be back to normal "…
I’ve been in road transport all my life and I’m pretty sure I’ve never experienced a "Normal day " I have no idea what " Normal " is… What is normal in road transport ?

Does it mean it starts of a complete mess and just gets worse from there, but by the end of the day everything seems to have been accomplished and the customers are none the wiser…

A “normal” day for a TM or freight controller or shift dispatch manager is one where his desk (or desktop) is clear of outstanding jobs, missed deadlines, damaged goods or returned freight.

AFAIK there is no such thing as “normal” for a driver (except everyone’s get-out clause “It’s the driver’s fault” - that’s quite normal)

grumpy old man:

ramone:

dave docwra:

John West:

John.

Dave…

I’m sure those overhead speed limit signs never get switched off on that bit of the M62. I was there yesterday in the car…60 limit for a couple of miles for no reason that I could see, traffic was flowing well and then suddenly it’s a sea of brake lights.

Yesterday morning 10 am traffic all slowing down between junction 26 and 27 eastbound because the speed limit signs were on
The Westbound carriageway was flowing with no restrictions

I think a lot of the variable speed signs in that area is to do with that b loody catastrophic ‘interchange’ at Gildersome. Traffic joining and it goes from 6 lanes (westbound) into 3 (or 4 when they open the hard shoulder).
Whoever designed that interchange should be put up against a wall …and shot. Accidents every day, try coming out of Leeds up the A 62 (past what was A One Transport, and trying to get through to the other side on the A 62…b loody nightmare

grumpy old man:
I think a lot of the variable speed signs in that area is to do with that b loody catastrophic ‘interchange’ at Gildersome. Traffic joining and it goes from 6 lanes (westbound) into 3 (or 4 when they open the hard shoulder).
Whoever designed that interchange should be put up against a wall …and shot. Accidents every day, try coming out of Leeds up the A 62 (past what was A One Transport, and trying to get through to the other side on the A 62…b loody nightmare

Try coming off the M62 at junction 26 west bound at 5pm ,the hard shoulder is rammed and then the ones who wont wait pull across from the first lane causing havoc.All they needed to do was make the first lane a l filter just like they have at junction 27

Another question because of my limited intelligence.What rules do farmers have to adhere to in regards of the dcpc load restraints hgv licences etc. This morning i was following a tri axle tanket being pulled by a tractor with a dolly.No lights no number plate just an orange flashing beacon .A few weeks back i was following another tractor pulling a dropside single axle trailer.This was loaded with cows×÷t by the looks of it and most was falling off onto the road.The trailer had no lights whatsoever fitted the wheels were wobbling no nets or restraints
fitted and of course no number plate.The driver also had bad eyesight judging by the way he pulled straight out infront of me.It seems one rule for hgv drivers

ramone:
Another question because of my limited intelligence.What rules do farmers have to adhere to in regards of the dcpc load restraints hgv licences etc. This morning i was following a tri axle tanket being pulled by a tractor with a dolly.No lights no number plate just an orange flashing beacon .A few weeks back i was following another tractor pulling a dropside single axle trailer.This was loaded with cows×÷t by the looks of it and most was falling off onto the road.The trailer had no lights whatsoever fitted the wheels were wobbling no nets or restraints
fitted and of course no number plate.The driver also had bad eyesight judging by the way he pulled straight out infront of me.It seems one rule for hgv drivers

Use your camara phone take a few picks then phone the law (not while driving of course) then get the Dk Hd of the road, he must be road worthy when on the queens highway, as do we all. Harvey