Possibly a Driver Shortage?

I hope there are loads of old boys leaving…about time i got a job with a V8 Scanny…or anything over 600 horses really…

:slight_smile:

DonutUK:
I hope there are loads of old boys leaving…about time i got a job with a V8 Scanny…or anything over 600 horses really…

Nowt worse than a bloke with the longest service who gets the fleet flagship as thanks,the thing never gets washed and is a complete mobile ashtray,but its ok because its old so and so and has worked here since god was a kid :frowning:

seth 70:
‘… a bloke with the longest service who gets the fleet flagship … never gets washed and is a complete mobile ashtray…’

His got a sardine concealed behind a fire extinguisher in his pax footwell at my place - and he never, ever noticed :open_mouth:

Happy Keith:

seth 70:
‘… a bloke with the longest service who gets the fleet flagship … never gets washed and is a complete mobile ashtray…’

His got a sardine concealed behind a fire extinguisher in his pax footwell at my place - and he never, ever noticed :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: My mate fits windows and his buddy is allways asking if hes ■■■■■■,little does he know theres a boiled egg sarny under his seat ,its staying there till the van gets cleaned out,my mate is nearly heavin everyday in this heat :laughing: :laughing:

Well after 8 months on the agency after a 9 year break, 12 years experience before that I took the plunge and enquired abou a job tramping.
Now to cut a long story short I appear to have skipped the whole CV/application aspect and after a few questions confirming I had a clean licence and fully loaded DQC card was then invited to an assesment and induction and now a few days later have a confirmed job offer not too mention at least 30 quids worth of branded safety stuff in my possesion.

Perhaps I was lucky but after receiving a phone call the day before the assesment drive asking if I could start work the Monday after I soon realised I was on to a winner, luckily the assesment went well even if it was a motor I have never driven before (always an element of luck in these things) I’m starting to think that this driver shortage is starting to kick in.

Too early to post pictures of my truck especially as I don’t know what its is yet (but I did request Air Con to be greated with the comment that all trucks have good spec and A/C is standard) so fingers crossed all goes well as I will be starting in the next two weeks after me current notice period is completed.

Great news Dave. I hope it all works out well for you.

seth 70:

DonutUK:

Nowt worse than a bloke with the longest service who gets the fleet flagship as thanks,the thing never gets washed and is a complete mobile ashtray,but its ok because its old so and so and has worked here since god was a kid :frowning:

You mean you don’t get a nice new top spec truck when you join a company■■? You actually gotta put a few years service in■■? ■■■■ there you go then lol

This article was in the local paper earlier in the week

The agency I’m signed up with is having real problems getting enough Class 1 drivers. Class 2 however is a different story. They asked one of their contracts about using me but they declined because their insurance said no.

tyneside:

Why doesn’t this boss go to the dole office queue and offer to pay for the training & a guaranteed job at the end of it to the many youngsters out of work up there? It will only take a month tops to train them up & they’re likely to stay long term.

wheelnutt:

nearly there:
Agenceys will just take on romacs now as they did with poles 5+ years ago

Tell that to all the agencies that can’t manage to supply enough drivers to just the supermarkets down here, every single one of them is subbing out work as they have their own units parked up. If you can find 10,000 “romacs” tomorrow we should start an agency, we can put them to work on Monday and make a killing.

1787 seperate advertisements for “hgv driver” within 25 miles of London, just on “indeed”:

indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv+driver&l=london

3768 driver jobs in London making at least 24k a year on Total jobs:

totaljobs.com/JobSearch/Resu … &Radius=25

You just know the market is good when you can get a tipper job down here paying 18 quid an hour and have half a dozen to choose from wtihin a mile of home.

2 of my buddies cut down their work week to 3 days and the other 4 days a week respectively and are taking home more now than they did only 4 years ago tramping all week. I know one guy who just does Sat/Sun and clears 550 a week. If you can’t see the driver shortage we have now, you are just not employable and no amount of shortage is ever going to help you make decent money driving a lorry, it may be time to “retrain” in some other field, can’t think of something off hand though that is legal and requires no schooling or intellect to accomplish that…

I agree there is definitely a driver shortage, apparently we’re 25 drivers short, the agency’s can’t provide enough drivers.

Yet to see the rates improve, although there are some agency’s near Spalding claiming £850-1000 a week, employed rates are not that high

going of whats happening up my way…north east england,it seems things are picking up,because the amount of ‘come and work for us’ calls I get ,have jumped.
Now personally I cant see the rates going up, but I have already noticed a change of attitude…from ‘heres a shift, be grateful’, to ‘yeah,if you dont wanna do thats ok’.Because even a short while ago ,if you said no,you got the ‘Its a bit slack’ BS of them as a punishment.

Pimpdaddy:

tyneside:

Why doesn’t this boss go to the dole office queue and offer to pay for the training & a guaranteed job at the end of it to the many youngsters out of work up there? It will only take a month tops to train them up & they’re likely to stay long term.

I drive past the town dole office nearly every day on the way home form work, Jesus wept but have you seen the state of the customers…would you invest £3k+ and guarantee a responsible lorry driving job to some bugger who can’t bothered to get off his own arse, no, me neither.

Pimpdaddy:

tyneside:

Because DCPC hasn’t made any difference to the ability to be able to insure youngsters or stop them having any less accidents.

How many of these jobs advertised are real though and not just another parasitic agency expanding their driver list.
There doesn’t seem to be many jobs around Oxfordshire that aren’t posted by parasites.

Juddian:
I drive past the town dole office nearly every day on the way home form work, Jesus wept but have you seen the state of the customers…would you invest £3k+ and guarantee a responsible lorry driving job to some bugger who can’t bothered to get off his own arse, no, me neither.

Ok then get them from Facebook, Twitter, cinema or wherever it is youngsters hang out these days. Im not the best looking of people but I’d grab any paid opportunity I can get.

Own Account Driver:
Because DCPC hasn’t made any difference to the ability to be able to insure youngsters or stop them having any less accidents.

Like I said earlier there’s no real shortage if employers can still afford to be fussy:!:

if there is such a big shortage of driver’s when are we getting a biggg pay rise “never” monkey’s work for peanut’s and I include myself let’s all grow some BALL’S then we might get somewhere and when might that be #never# we in britian need to be like johnny the frog stick together instead of being like sheep bah and we know what johnny does with them don’t we :imp:

samsgrandad:
if there is such a big shortage of driver’s when are we getting a biggg pay rise “never” monkey’s work for peanut’s and I include myself let’s all grow some BALL’S then we might get somewhere and when might that be #never# we in britian need to be like johnny the frog stick together instead of being like sheep bah and we know what johnny does with them don’t we :imp:

Why have so many haulage companies gone to the wall in the last few years if there is enough money kicking about to give drivers the wages they think they deserve ?

The margins are tight. Shortage or no shortage, strike or no strike that just isn’t going to change i’m afraid.