.........um driver shortage?

I’ve been off the road for quite a while for a number of reasons. Today was the day to get back in the saddle, so I gave a couple of old contacts a ring, nothing :frowning:

Fair enough, I thought, there’s plenty more out there, I’ll get the phone book, ring around in the hope that I could maybe arrange one or two interviews for next week. :imp:

Two hours latter, some twenty phone calls later, I’m still no nearer an interview, let alone a job, than I was when I crawled from the pit this morning :smiling_imp:

I have all the experience any general or container haulier would need. I can get excellent references but do you think I can get a job :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Sundowner:
I’ve been off the road for quite a while for a number of reasons. Today was the day to get back in the saddle, so I gave a couple of old contacts a ring, nothing :frowning:

Fair enough, I thought, there’s plenty more out there, I’ll get the phone book, ring around in the hope that I could maybe arrange one or two interviews for next week. :imp:

Two hours latter, some twenty phone calls later, I’m still no nearer an interview, let alone a job, than I was when I crawled from the pit this morning :smiling_imp:

I have all the experience any general or container haulier would need. I can get excellent references but do you think I can get a job :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

welcome back to the trucking world anyway good luck in the near future

Seems odd,maybe it’s because it’s the slow time of year.

Longwayround:

Could be the recession we are entering, for the first time in a long time the Bank of England didnt lower interest rates they stayed the same, i,ll bet next time they look at it it will go up a bit and then it will get even worse.

jammymutt:

Longwayround:

Could be the recession we are entering, for the first time in a long time the Bank of England didnt lower interest rates they stayed the same, i,ll bet next time they look at it it will go up a bit and then it will get even worse.

WTF :laughing: :laughing:

This advert was in a last week’s Peterborough paper, and the week before that…

I like the add but you don’t see anything like that in the Norwich/Ipswich papers and I have to be honest, I don’t think I’m the sort to work for Excel. Tried TNT multi-user logistics, it was a great job but not for me I’m afraid, wearing pretty uniforms and ties :open_mouth: is not my style. I’ve got nothing against it tho’ just not for me :wink:

Have you tried the 7 squadron, they usually have something going.

kindle530:

erm…no! who’s that then?

Sundowner:
I like the add but you don’t see anything like that in the Norwich/Ipswich papers and I have to be honest, I don’t think I’m the sort to work for Excel. Tried TNT multi-user logistics, it was a great job but not for me I’m afraid, wearing pretty uniforms and ties :open_mouth: is not my style. I’ve got nothing against it tho’ just not for me :wink:

Still being paid to do it though, better than nothing :wink:

Reading allthe posts on here, it is just a quiet time of year at the mo, so not much going. While firms might not be laying people off, they wont be employing news ones when it’s quiet.

Is there nothing going down Felixstowe Sundowner?or is that too far for you?

There never has been a real driver shortage. You see numbers like 80,000 put out by a certain driving school and other self interested parties. Rubbish.
That many drivers short and you would have seen this country grind to a halt and wage rates go through the roof.

The economy isn’t helping things at the moment. I know someone who works at head office for a major DIY chain. Sales are nose diving and there are some scared people. Short term job losses on a major scale are on the cards. They can’t be the only ones in that position.

Got to agree with Chunky.Driving schools are good at turning out that kind of speil.There is only a shortage for jobs which are not worth doing.

bikemonkey:
Is there nothing going down Felixstowe Sundowner?or is that too far for you?

That’s where I normally look for work anyway, my favourite type of work containers and trailers. I don’t mind the travelling if it’s a weeks work but I wouldn’t do it every day.

Sheeter:
This advert was in a last week’s Peterborough paper, and the week before that…

That’s my job!!! :open_mouth:

I think the ad is hilarious - you work for Phoenix agency ‘temp to perm’ on their rates, then, after 13 weeks you move over to Exel’s books!

I doubt I would want to take a pay cut like that? Don’t know exactly what Phoenix are paying, but from what I hear - few of those on the Temp to Perm have any intention of actually going Perm!!

And it should read 22 days holiday plus bank holidays. And you have to work most of them anyway - though you do get a lieu day.

It’s a decent enough job though when all said and done.

Good luck in your search Sundowner :wink:

how come they need so many drivers there :question:

did many move to tescos at peterborough :question:

Sundowner:

kindle530:

erm…no! who’s that then?

Do you mean Bartrums? the penny finally dropped :unamused:

If so yes, they’re very quiet according to the man I know there, took my number tho’ there’s hope out there I guess

dave:
how come they need so many drivers there :question:

did many move to tescos at peterborough :question:

Not many moved to Tesco Dave. Loads of us looked / went for interview / got offered jobs though. Most of us (myself included) were better off where we are. The money really is no better. Considering the shift patterns, I’d argue it’s pants! :open_mouth:

Added to that the fact Tesco use Isotrack and are far stricter. Our lot are pretty flexible and will try and accomodate any shift changes you want. :smiley:

Probably five or six left - and they all lived in the Peterborough area. About the same transferred to Exel Debenhams.

Why they want all these drivers is due to the closure of Rainham and Welwyn Garden City, and the transfer of work to Huntingdon and Godmanchester respectively.

I think they are going to struggle to get 75 drivers to be honest. :confused:

i dont think they will have a problem myself, it aint a bad job.
when i moved just over three years ago it was basically down to the money.
the pay rise was nearly non existant, well in fact most of the payrise was based on the hours worked as overtime and with the wtd coming in i thought it was a joke.
now im a happy bunny. that said around 40 of our drivers went along to tesco for the interview. the wages were poor . infact we lost one driver to them. he took a pay drop but the tesco depot was just across the road from him so he saved money by not needing two cars.