Policing operation targeting HGVs

I can’t see the issue on that problem as only appears to be one item.

Lets say that the payload was 20t for that outfit, if the boom lift weighed 19t then adding another separate piece of plant taking it over 44t would be a breach as it could be done individually under STGO

If the lift weighed 22t it would therefore come under STGO assuming all other factors were met (permits, plates and taxes etc) Adding another machine that was travelling to same destination would be OK as long as it stayed within the limits for the STGO order, I’d suggest that would only be so if it did not increase the length of the outfit.

8wheels:

Lets say that the payload was 20t for that outfit, if the boom lift weighed 19t then adding another separate piece of plant taking it over 44t would be a breach as it could be done individually under STGO

If the lift weighed 22t it would therefore come under STGO assuming all other factors were met (permits, plates and taxes etc) Adding another machine that was travelling to same destination would be OK as long as it stayed within the limits for the STGO order, I’d suggest that would only be so if it did not increase the length of the outfit.

Looks to me like the machine with first section of jib attached, pointing towards unit. Centre and top of jib detached resting above trailer axles, and maybe, not clearly , extending past rear of trailer? Police cars in the way.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

adam277:
https://www.norfolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/almost-250-vehicles-stopped-part-roads-policing-operation-targeting-hgvs

256 TORs were issued in respect of the following offences:

• 165 for not wearing a seatbelt
  • 55 for construction and use
  • 28 for using a mobile phone
  • 25 for an insecure load
  • 12 for not being in proper control of the vehicle
  • nine for driving without due care and attention for excess speed
  • five for excess speed
  • eight others for miscellaneous offences, including driver hours and driving through a red light.

What is the deal with seatbelts lol? I know it may not be comfortable to wear a seatbelt if your a chubby truck driver and you doing quite a lot of mileage but why risk getting fined for it?
I see this all the time. When I was on supermarkets nearly every truck had the belt already pressed in, implying that the previous driver was sitting on the belt.

Been seeing the white hgv unit about though out and about. 2 of them inside with a plod in the officer seat recording.

Doesn’t mention how many were told off,for wearing a hi-viz whilst driving…

Franglais:

8wheels:

Looks to me like the machine with first section of jib attached, pointing towards unit. Centre and top of jib detached resting above trailer axles, and maybe, not clearly , extending past rear of trailer? Police cars in the way.

From gov.uk/government/publicatio … ment-guide

1.5 Multiple loads
Generally, multiple loads can’t be carried, but they are allowed in 2 special cases:

engineering plant - component parts can be carried in cases where:

the plant - without the detachable part - is an STGO AIL (meaning, can’t legally be carried on a C&U/AW vehicle)
the part is loaded and unloaded at the same place
the part doesn’t stick out beyond the vehicle more than the plant itself protrudes, whether forward, rearward or to the side - for example, a bulldozer with a detachable blade: a trailer towed by the bulldozer is not allowed to be carried on the same vehicle

where 2 or more loads of a similar shape, size and weight need to be moved:

and one or both are STGO AIL (that is, can’t legally be carried on a C&U/AW vehicle) falling into STGO category 1 or 2 only
the second (identical or smaller) load doesn’t increase the overall width or length of the combination, or take it into a higher STGO category on weight
In addition to the above, long (but not heavy) loads can normally be carried on long trailers that still meet C&U. Multiple loads are allowed in this case as long as they aren’t bigger than AW weights - for example, a number of 16 m long yacht masts could be carried by a longer length trailer.

What we cant tell from the photo, as youve said, if the crane jib as making an overhang.

msgyorkie:

Franglais:
I’m not up on STGO orders, but, if those jib sections on the rear of trailer are hanging off the back of trailer, shouldn’t they be a separate vehicle?
Something about detachable components being ok on STGO, provided they don’t increase overall dimensions?

Divisible load rules. You are correct that the over hanging parts should travel on a seperate vehicle as its a divisible load.
In reality, much like what we do in the cabin world, the police are not up to scratch on the rules and you can get away with it.

That last sentence sounds like you are shooting yourself in the foot, if the Cabin ~World are anything to go by round here, they do it all on a wing, prayer and shoestring. If the customer requires a 73’ trailer, don’t fob him off with a 60’ trombone. Niche markets demand niche invoices and the customer realises that.

Wheel Nut:

msgyorkie:

Franglais:
I’m not up on STGO orders, but, if those jib sections on the rear of trailer are hanging off the back of trailer, shouldn’t they be a separate vehicle?
Something about detachable components being ok on STGO, provided they don’t increase overall dimensions?

Divisible load rules. You are correct that the over hanging parts should travel on a seperate vehicle as its a divisible load.
In reality, much like what we do in the cabin world, the police are not up to scratch on the rules and you can get away with it.

That last sentence sounds like you are shooting yourself in the foot, if the Cabin ~World are anything to go by round here, they do it all on a wing, prayer and shoestring. If the customer requires a 73’ trailer, don’t fob him off with a 60’ trombone. Niche markets demand niche invoices and the customer realises that.

Own account work. Customer doesnt give a monkeys how it gets to them. Things are changing for the better all the time and I fully expect this one to fall into line very soon.

Humberside this week looking for a persistent offender that keeps ringing them whilst driving about other drivers :laughing:

On a similar note I saw a plain white CF unit like that recently on A12 in Essex, with blue lights in grille and motorcycle cops 1/4 mile behind. If the lights hadn’t been on it would have just been any old fleet spec unit.

Not sure if that has replaced the grey Iveco with crests and Police branding

I hear a lot of drivers talking about their local cops using this vehicle or that vehicle, but they also borrow or hire vehicles, so don’t assume we’re only looking out for one or two specific vehicles in any given area.

Going back to STGO, I spent a day with a local heavy haulage company (mostly do big crane transport), and it’s a lot more complicated than just the STGO, those guys work mostly on VSOs which is a different kettle of fish. Excellent money though, “for the right guy”.
vehicle-certification-agenc … al-orders/

I have shirts for both left and right hand drive vehicles :stuck_out_tongue:

Seatbelt1.jpg

I’m always sceptical of solo units on a motorway anyway.

toonsy:
I’m always sceptical of solo units on a motorway anyway.

Me too.
I always back it down to 70mph before passing them.