Regulations

Would some one please settle an argument over the wearing of seat belts in HGV’s, my question is , is it complusary to wear seat belts in trucks, I understand that it is as I have heard of case’s were the driver has been fined for not wearing the seat belt.

Thanks in advance
Little trucker

as the law stands, if seatbelts are fitted, you must wear them

It is law that if a seat belt is fitted to the vehicle/HGV/PSV you are driving, you must wear it.

Fine £60 I think plus 3 points :question: Only ever been nicked once for it and that was in the car 20 something years ago(£20.00 fine then). A lot of new HGV’s are now being fitted with brightly coloured seat belts so enforcement officers and the such like can see wether you are wearing a seat belt. Our new vehicles have got bright red seat belt for the drivers side but black ones for the passenger seat :question: :confused:

I am sure that someone else will find the revelant piece of legislation and post it here for you LT.

little trucker:
Would some one please settle an argument over the wearing of seat belts in HGV’s, my question is , is it complusary to wear seat belts in trucks, I understand that it is as I have heard of case’s were the driver has been fined for not wearing the seat belt.

Thanks in advance
Little trucker

The law says if its fitted then you must wear them. Exemptions are buses on city routes, and HGV’s when only travelling 500 yards or so.

This is extracted from an article in 2006.

“The new directive (Directive 2003/20/EC), which should have been written into national law by May 9th across the EU 25, makes it compulsory for the drivers of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight greater than 3.5 tonnes to wear a seat belt.”
Under the existing European legislation it was compulsory to use seat belts in vehicles below 3.5 tonnes fitted with restraints. This obligation has now been extended to all categories of vehicles and also requires the use of restraint systems specially adapted for children."

And this is from the Direct.gov website;

"The law requires that drivers and passengers aged 14 and over in cars, vans and other commercial vehicles must wear a seatbelt if available. As a driver you are responsible for ensuring that anyone under the age of 14 wears a seat belt or use an appropriate child restraint as required in the regulations. On 18 September 2006, the law concerning children using seat belts and child restraints changed.

There are penalties for not wearing seat belts and they are - "Failure to wear a seatbelt carries a fine of up to £500, but no points will be endorsed on your licence. A fixed penalty notice will usually be issued, allowing you the option of paying a £60 fine.[/i]

Hope thats enough info for you all!!! :slight_smile:

Directive 2003/20/EC - (Article 1) amended Directive 91/671/EEC to extend the compulsory wearing of seat belts to drivers and passengers in vehicles of Category N2 (Goods vehicles between 3.5 tonnes and 12 tonnes) and Category N3 (Goods vehicles over 12 tonnes).

It’s a heavy read but if you really want proof it’s all there :wink:

A summary of the relevant part of the amended directive would read:

1. This Directive shall apply to all motor vehicles in categories M1, M2, M3, N1, N2 and N3 as defined in Annex II to Directive 70/156/EEC(12), intended for use on the road, having at least four wheels and a maximum design speed exceeding 25 km/h.

Member States shall ensure that the driver and passengers occupying the seats of vehicles on the road as referred to in Article 1 wear safety belts or are restrained by an approved restraint system provided the occupied seats are fitted with such equipment.

I haven’t bothered to find out exactly when the amended regulations came into force in the UK but Directive 2003/20/EC states the following.

Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this Directive before 9 May 2006

I hope that helps you because it made my head hurt :laughing:

You dont have to wear one if you dont want to, it justs costs you a few £££ if you get caught, not many cameras about that can do you for no seatbelt so a very high chance of not getting caught.

There used to be an argument that HGV drivers preferred not to wear a belt as they stood a better chance of jumping out in a collision situation. Never tested the theory, and doubt that there would be time, anyway.

Tone

It is compulsory to wear a seatbelt whilst driving a lorry during daylight hours. As soon as it’s dark it’s up to you.

einstein:
It is law that if a seat belt is fitted to the vehicle/HGV/PSV you are driving, you must wear it.

True

einstein:
Fine £60 I think plus 3 points :question:

False. £30 (it may have gone up) and non-endorseable. Maximum penalty £500.

Only ever been nicked once in ten years of offending. Most of the time I was just told to put it on. The one particular time was doing 60mph in lane one of an empty M40 heading northbound towards J2 Beaconsfield. WPC decided to write out a ticket. I forgot to ask her the question: “How does a policewoman part her hair?”

There used to be no distance (just that it was local, door to door delivery), but later it was prescribed as 50m maximum.

some newer wagons ( volvo :imp: ) have a god dam annoying bing bing thingy that tortures you into wearing it … :imp:

i have to be honest tho i do wrap it around the seat and plug it in to shut it the hell up… my own fault if i get caught tho… :blush:

I’ve only had one fine for no seatbelt which was in Scotland many years ago. Back then it was £30, nowadays its £60. They went on a blitz on the A75 and booked dozens of drivers in one day for not wearing a seatbelt. The fact that most were speeding wasn’t even questioned. :unamused:

In Northern Ireland its £60 and 3 points for no seatbelt, although most Police don’t take much interest in trucks over here.

The fixed penalty for not wearing a seat belt has gone up to £60

Q. How many points do I get on my licence if I accept a fixed penalty and how much is the fine?
A. A seatbelt offence currently carries a minimum penalty of £60 fixed penalty fine with no endorsable penalty points. If the case goes to court, this can increase to a maximum fine of £500.

mike68:
It is compulsory to wear a seatbelt whilst driving a lorry during daylight hours. As soon as it’s dark it’s up to you.

Presumably you mean there’s less chance of getting caught after dark ? :confused:

tachograph:

Ta tg, I’ve since looked it up and see it went up 30 June 2009 with The Fixed Penalty (Amendment)(No. 3) Order 2009.

tachograph:

Q. How many points do I get on my licence if I accept a fixed penalty and how much is the fine?
A. A seatbelt offence currently carries a minimum penalty of £60 fixed penalty fine with no endorsable penalty points. If the case goes to court, this can increase to a maximum fine of £500.

mike68:

Presumably you mean there’s less chance of getting caught after dark ? :confused:

On a more serious note, if you do have an accident and it is proven you were not wearing a belt your chance of compo is seriously reduced, also the area inside the cab of modern trucks is quite large, I personally wouldn’t want to be spun around inside one. Also the belt is going to help you stay at the helm and greatly increasing your chance of regaining control after an initial impact.

Whilst the reasoning behind seatbelts may be sound, the actual laws regarding fitment are somewhat mystifing. I own a coach which has seatbelts fitted to the passenger seats but nothing for the drivers seat.

It is said that the law is an ■■■ and this is an example of it.

bowser:
‘…annoying bing bing thingy that tortures you into wearing it … i …wrap it around the seat and plug it in to shut it the hell up… my own fault if i get caught tho…’

It’s very noble to accept fault if getting ‘caught’, but it’s my/our taxes that’ll drop everything to fix broken muppets in hospital ‘for free’ and pay any subsequent unemployment benefit, etc, etc, etc.

Does blame acceptance include full remedial healthcare restoration?

Seatbelts are integral to primary healthcare in a supposed civilised & informed society not a lifestyle choice for buffoons, whether they are street racing in a clapped out Corsa or driving vocationally.

canaldrifter:
There used to be an argument that HGV drivers preferred not to wear a belt as they stood a better chance of jumping out in a collision situation. Never tested the theory, and doubt that there would be time, anyway.

Tone

my arguement is that in most collisions the seatbelt is pointless. if you hit a car you would barely notice anything. if you hit a wall it will lose anyway so you wont stop dead. if you hit a truck, a seatbelt is not going to save your life. unless you are planning to roll the truck, what is it actually going to do?

Happy Keith:

bowser:
‘…annoying bing bing thingy that tortures you into wearing it … i …wrap it around the seat and plug it in to shut it the hell up… my own fault if i get caught tho…’

It’s very noble to accept fault if getting ‘caught’, but it’s my/our taxes that’ll drop everything to fix broken muppets in hospital ‘for free’ and pay any subsequent unemployment benefit, etc, etc, etc.

Does blame acceptance include full remedial healthcare restoration?

Seatbelts are integral to primary healthcare in a supposed civilised & informed society not a lifestyle choice for buffoons, whether they are street racing in a clapped out Corsa or driving vocationally.

but dont i pay tax aswell ■■ what your point preacher man ■■

Double post edited out…