Big brother is watching you

trans.info/en/british-systems-c … ork-108579,

The example…

In the article just had to be a fanny in a Skanee at nearly 47 tons. :smiley:

As usual, the second comment was the self righteous "if you’re doing nothing wrong, you’ve got nothing to worry about "…

Tomorrow thinking badly about the government becomes a crime… and your fully connected phone will inform the authorities when you have bad thoughts… but dont worry, it could never happen.
If in doubt, ask Alexa.

(Other spies are available)

Carryfast?

Yet on brake rollers the weights can be tonnes out in either direction :unamused:

We did about this on the first lot of dcpc that I did. Pretty sure it’s not as accurate as this article says but maybe the system has been improved. It showed the one on the M25 and they pulled a wagon over that flagged overweight but it was miles under.

I mean, who ARE these people who knowingly take out overloaded trucks that are clearly overweight in evidence before their very eyes at the start yard?

I’ve only been presented with two overloaded trucks my entire life:

One was a box trailer loaded two-thirds with pru containers with boxes of nuts and bolts in them. Didn’t look over weight, but after having to pump truck on two more pallets on the end before departure that I could barely move with the pump truck, I decided to put it on the scales - 45.5t back before the max limit became 44t gross… Boss just asked me to take six prus back off again, no quibble (2780-ish Kg per pru) - but I would imagine there are plenty who would have just gone straight out on the road with it no quibble as well!

The other was an overloaded pre-loaded 16tonner that I just point-blank refused to take out, and immediately got banned from site on my first day there on agency as a result. I never got to put this one on the scales, as I hadn’t got as far as putting my paper tacho in it yet… The load this time around was strapped together old newspapers piled up 7ft high, once again in pru containers (are these still used nowadays btw? - I can’t seem to find a stock picture of one…)

I reckon Plod should actually catch people whilst still overweight, rather than merely snapping an APNR pic, and then sending a fine through the post, so it could be argued (by everyone!) that “Not me guv, you’re weighing machine in-flight is inaccurate like your speed guns!”

The police MUST have them on the weighbridges whilst still carrying the overweight load. Common sense “With Consent” policing.

…Mustn’t forget this old chesnut, which is what happens when the weighty containers already put on at the headboard, happen to be too much for poor little wind-down legs…

I reckon if someone had put on the six pallets I took off mentioned in my above post onto another trailer - this might well have happened later…

Downtons Oops.jpg

Winseer:
…Mustn’t forget this old chesnut, which is what happens when the weighty containers already put on at the headboard, happen to be too much for poor little wind-down legs…

I reckon if someone had put on the six pallets I took off mentioned in my above post onto another trailer - this might well have happened later…

Except the legs are doing just fine and appear undamaged

Winseer:
I mean, who ARE these people who knowingly take out overloaded trucks that are clearly overweight in evidence before their very eyes at the start yard?

I’ve only been presented with two overloaded trucks my entire life:

One was a box trailer loaded two-thirds with pru containers with boxes of nuts and bolts in them. Didn’t look over weight, but after having to pump truck on two more pallets on the end before departure that I could barely move with the pump truck, I decided to put it on the scales - 45.5t back before the max limit became 44t gross… Boss just asked me to take six prus back off again, no quibble (2780-ish Kg per pru) - but I would imagine there are plenty who would have just gone straight out on the road with it no quibble as well!

The other was an overloaded pre-loaded 16tonner that I just point-blank refused to take out, and immediately got banned from site on my first day there on agency as a result. I never got to put this one on the scales, as I hadn’t got as far as putting my paper tacho in it yet… The load this time around was strapped together old newspapers piled up 7ft high, once again in pru containers (are these still used nowadays btw? - I can’t seem to find a stock picture of one…)

I reckon Plod should actually catch people whilst still overweight, rather than merely snapping an APNR pic, and then sending a fine through the post, so it could be argued (by everyone!) that “Not me guv, you’re weighing machine in-flight is inaccurate like your speed guns!”

The police MUST have them on the weighbridges whilst still carrying the overweight load. Common sense “With Consent” policing.

45.5 tonnes? You big Nancy, drive on and get a grip

Gross is about 3ton over, but the unit is about 4 tons over. Look at axle 2: 36% overload. 5th wheel could do with being a tad forward too, if there is clearance.
To stand back and look at a correctly loaded 6 axle vehicle and see a 3ton gross overload, (in the absence of good paperwork) would be difficult. To miss a 6 ton axle at 8 tons would be difficult.

Still, maybe it was only over loaded on the pin because of the 5 ton he`d just offloaded from the back of the trailer?
:smiley:

Worth noting that the system seems to say a patrol car would be informed and would take the vehicle to a control point. The system would be accurate enough not to waste police time, but a certified weigh bridge would be used for a prosecution. Can`t see the m-way being closed for routine calibration regularly?
No NIP from ANPR yet it seems.

Winseer:
once again in pru containers (are these still used nowadays btw? - I can’t seem to find a stock picture of one…)

“Pru containers”? Anyone?

Franglais:
Can`t see the m-way being closed for routine calibration regularly?

Could you not run a couple of your own vehicles over at known weights while everything is live as normal and see what the figures are?

njl:

Franglais:
Can`t see the m-way being closed for routine calibration regularly?

Could you not run a couple of your own vehicles over at known weights while everything is live as normal and see what the figures are?

Good idea.
I wonder whether the system would produce consistent enough results for prosecution?
But you`re right using known weight vehicles to test, under the same conditions one would use the equipment to check way, is a quite valid procedure, I think.

Those systems have been around for years, I remember one being put in the yard I rented beside the M5 northbound a mile south of junction 30. The guy told me it was to catch overweight trucks coming from the Plymouth Ferry. Once it’s triggered an alarm Vosa would have 30 minutes to stop it at Junction 27 at the weigh bridge. That was 30 years ago.

The trucks pictured are only overloaded on the UK roads, they are perfectly safe and no kids will be left homeless. You can drive a 5 axle vehicle over the weighbridge in Holland at 50 tonne, 6 tonne overweight according to the Daily Express, the same vehicle is 16 tonnes overweight in Norway. :laughing:

Rumoured to have been in use for several years on the M6 before Junction 44 a swift move to the outside lane apparently avoids it :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
The trucks pictured are only overloaded on the UK roads, they are perfectly safe and no kids will be left homeless. You can drive a 5 axle vehicle over the weighbridge in Holland at 50 tonne, 6 tonne overweight according to the Daily Express, the same vehicle is 16 tonnes overweight in Norway. :laughing:

Exactamente. None of it has anything to do with safety. You’d have to load a crazy amount to even get near design weight and as you say many countries have much higher limits than us as you point out

switchlogic:

Wheel Nut:

Exactamente. None of it has anything to do with safety. You’d have to load a crazy amount to even get near design weight and as you say many countries have much higher limits than us as you point out

The trucks tyres, wheels, brakes, etc may well be within design weights and so be safe, but road damage is related to axle weights, so heavy trucks do cause more damage than light loaded ones. Id agree nuns and kittens are safe but tarmac isn`t. ,

Franglais:
but road damage is related to axle weights, so heavy trucks do cause more damage than light loaded ones.

No s**t Sherlock :smiley: