Pickfords Tank Haulage, Harold Woods and Tankfreight

V Max Nomad:
I remember those Harold Woods ERF’s only too well, although from Heckmondwyke they had a depot at J.L. Robson & Sons yard at Portrack, Stockton on Tees, I was night shift chargehand for Robsons for a few years and we did a lot of work on their trucks.
Some of their trucks were in Philips 66 livery and hauled black oil into the power station at Tees-Port
Woods managers at Portrack were Tom McKinstry and Tommy Harland.
I later went to work for Tom McKinstry when he moved to Suttons of St Helens depot at Billingham, driving acid tankers.
He was a very heavy smoker and I believe the “Big C” claimed him eventually.
BTW, I used to like the old Harold Woods blue livery with a tanker on the doors disappearing into a clouded distance, this was in the days when they ran MK 5 AEC’s

Nomad

Heres one Max ,an old pal from the Harold Woods N/Tees contract, (Mizzo)he’s a member on T/N, i dont think he will mind me using his pic.Vic

new1%20044.jpg

Hi,
How far back are you going on this thread? My father ( Bill Lowe)was a Harold Woods driver out of Killingholme on the RAF airfields job . This would be early 60’s. From there he went to Pickfords Tanks ,again out of Killingholme, on the Regent contract ,also on the Distillers job out of Saltend. Then onto Cawoods, again out of Killingholme. More recently , my brother -in-law was with Caledonian at Immingham, moved for a short while to Heckmondwyke as it was all changing to Tankfreight and then came back to Immingham. He then left and went to Lanstar where he stayed until his death . Eddie Barrett was his name, does it ring any bells with anybody ?

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
Hi,
How far back are you going on this thread? My father ( Bill Lowe)was a Harold Woods driver out of Killingholme on the RAF airfields job . This would be early 60’s. From there he went to Pickfords Tanks ,again out of Killingholme, on the Regent contract ,also on the Distillers job out of Saltend. Then onto Cawoods, again out of Killingholme. More recently , my brother -in-law was with Caledonian at Immingham, moved for a short while to Heckmondwyke as it was all changing to Tankfreight and then came back to Immingham. He then left and went to Lanstar where he stayed until his death . Eddie Barrett was his name, does it ring any bells with anybody ?

Cheers Bassman

[quoteCJA1]
Hi Bassman, Have you got any Piccs from the era, if Post them for Sniffy, Heis doing a DVD on THE History Regards Chri CJA1.

Hi Folks ,The pic of the 2 Pickfords 8 wheel atkis ,Reminded me of two we bought minuss the tanks in the 1970/s Reg nos ,566 EYO & 570 EYO ,WE had one cut down to a Chinease 6 unit ,the other was evently used for spares ,a bit of usless info ,Yours Barry

Hi, CJA 1,
Sorry no pics. plenty of memories ,but no pics to back them up.

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
Hi, CJA 1,

Cheers Bassman

CJA1:
No Worries Bassman, It was just a thought, See I worked out of Urmston Depot for 20odd yrs, and our ex Engineer Sniffy Has been doing a lot of research of the company right back to Cali/bulk/Harold Wood/ Pickfords tk/haulage,b4 it became T/Freight, right up to present
day, so some piccs would have been good, not to worry its still good to get the stories, Regards Chris
CJA1.

Hi, CJA 1
I can remember my father talking about Urmston, but I would , tentatively, think it was before your time. I,m talking 62/63. I can also remember my father having a Harold Woods Mk.3 AEC with a two stick gearbox . He used to say it was the only truck he had driven that would come up Ulceby Skitter ,loaded and be able to change up. It was when he was with Harold Woods that my liking for the Mk V started. Him and another driver shared a MkV that had been on AEC’s stand at the Motor show. I can see it now ,all Tartan plaid upholstery inside, but they took the radio out!

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
Hi, CJA 1
I can remember my father talking about Urmston, but I would , tentatively, think it was before your time. I,m talking 62/63. I can also remember my father having a Harold Woods Mk.3 AEC with a two stick gearbox . He used to say it was the only truck he had driven that would come up Ulceby Skitter ,loaded and be able to change up. It was when he was with Harold Woods that my liking for the Mk V started. Him and another driver shared a MkV that had been on AEC’s stand at the Motor show. I can see it now ,all Tartan plaid upholstery inside, but they took the radio out!

Cheers Bassman

CJA1:
Yeh" thats a fact Bassman, I only started there in 79 Happy day"s Regards CJA1.

CJA1:

Bassman:
Hi, CJA 1,

Cheers Bassman

CJA1:
No Worries Bassman, It was just a thought, See I worked out of Urmston Depot for 20odd yrs, and our ex Engineer Sniffy Has been doing a lot of research of the company right back to Cali/bulk/Harold Wood/ Pickfords tk/haulage,b4 it became T/Freight, right up to present
day, so some piccs would have been good, not to worry its still good to get the stories, Regards Chris
CJA1.

CJA1:
All Dolled up [HCL] Pywipe Grimsby Cheers Bassman Chris.

100_1565.jpg

Bassman:
Hi,

Cheers Bassman

I used to load white spirit out of LOR Killingholme in the 70s when I worked for A E Evans. Caledonian were running F86s and did a lot of Aviation Fuel for the RAF. There was also a driver who did one load a day of Toluene to Albright and Wilsons Widnes,0400 start from Lincs,and used to be rayt p*ssed off when Evans got there before him. :smiley:
Sorry,no names,only memories.

If Anybody’s intrested there’s a Tankfreight drivers reunion been organised for Friday 30th November at the Mossvale Pub in Urmston.

Already had two previously with around 35 attending but was suggested it be opened up to any Tanker drivers based in and around trafford park in the 70/80/90s, last time a couple of lads from Reliance tankers turned up as well as a couple of Ranks drivers.

Hoping to spread the net this time - Small world the tanker industry !

Sniffy:
If Anybody’s intrested there’s a Tankfreight drivers reunion been organised for Friday 30th November at the Mossvale Pub in Urmston.

Already had two previously with around 35 attending but was suggested it be opened up to any Tanker drivers based in and around trafford park in the 70/80/90s, last time a couple of lads from Reliance tankers turned up as well as a couple of Ranks drivers.

Quote=CJA] Hi Sniffy, good piccs mate yeh bin on"t phone to 1or2, bin tryin to get Penky"s No", do you have M/Mill No? I just can"t seem to lay my hands on it, do you know who is running the show there now? Yeh that Picc is the one I was telling Gingerfold about putting those lift tanks on a road chassis never a good Idea? The two Lads in the Piccie I think was Pete Brogan and Cliff Stanton Jimmy was prob in the cafe LOL!! And No elf and safety as Gingerfold sez? Catch you later Sniffy Regards Chri CJA1.

CJA1:

Sniffy:

Quote=CJA] Hi Sniffy, good piccs mate yeh bin on"t phone to 1or2, bin tryin to get Penky"s No", do you have M/Mill No? I just can"t seem to lay my hands on it, do you know who is running the show there now? Yeh that Picc is the one I was telling Gingerfold about putting those lift tanks on a road chassis never a good Idea? The two Lads in the Piccie I think was Pete Brogan and Cliff Stanton Jimmy was prob in the cafe LOL!! And No elf and safety as Gingerfold sez? Catch you later Sniffy Regards Chri CJA1.

CJA1 - Would be nice if we could find some more of this bunch, hopefully they might get in touch

Sniffy:

CJA1:

Sniffy:

CJA1 - Would be nice if we could find some more of this bunch, hopefully they might get in touch

CJA1:
Hi Sniffy, Was Bubbles on that shot in the garage? last time I saw him he was at Volvo in the Park, most of the others were at the last do were"nt they mate, Cheers Chris CJA1.

I remember a couple of those guys, and tank containers! Have you found the picture of dads lorry yet Chris said its on another file or something?

shell_chemFL10:
I remember a couple of those guys, and tank containers! Have you found the picture of dads lorry yet Chris said its on another file or something?

I remember all the lads on the wash bay, not sure about the old bird though :stuck_out_tongue:

No nor me haha! She must of been in the little cafe opposite the wash bay if I remember rightly? Unless I was that small I can’t remember a lot but I’m pretty sure there was a cafe opposite with an old tanker in front covered by a fence? As I say I was quite young so most of that could be from my imagination haha!

shell_chemFL10:

CJA1:
Hi Richard, Steve sez he has found one,? best to e:mail him, get him to mail it over to you, I will phone him mate, you and your Mum going to the Reunion then? Regards Chris.

Wheel Nut:

shell_chemFL10:

I remember all the lads on the wash bay, not sure about the old bird though :stuck_out_tongue:

CJA1:
Hi wheelnut, yeh the old bird was Christine, she came out of the main T/F office, when she was bad with arthritis, not as much for her to do there, Cheers Chris.

Yeah Chris were both coming up, can u email it me again please I’ve lost it haha!