Passed Aug '17 - Had Shocking Start To Industry

I’m sorry I cannot offer anything to help with your situation, but your username brought back lovely memories as my brother used to ridicule my mother as he always said the only thing in our first aid cabinet was anadin and acriflex which was mothers cure all, and I admit they both worked well especially the acriflex on my hand that I burnt on the 45 gallon drum that was our garden incinerator, (tripped over the dog and held on to the top edge) not for long though, both gone now and sorely missed thanks for that,

Shocking start to the industry? Not really! You could say par for the course almost…it’s certainly a very similar experience to my own when I started on heavies in '88. Eagerbeaver has given some practical advice don’t mistake it for him having a laugh. I used exactly that approach when needed. You’re right about agencies, there are some decent ones but they’re definitely the exception rather than the rule. Avoid if possible. Get yourself out and visit all the companies in your vicinity and be dressed ready to work in clean and tidy workwear and PPE with relevant licence/dcpc in hand. Friday can be a good day as they’re thinking of sacking someone who doesn’t cut the mustard. Monday early am too cos somebody has blown out after a weekend on the beer and there’s a loaded truck sitting there without a driver. Take copies of your cv to drop off and make follow up visits to get your face known. And remember, you only get one chance to make a good first impression!

Wordsworth’s at Barugh Green were advestising for 8 wheeler tipper drivers a week or so ago.

TiredAndEmotional:
Shocking start to the industry? Not really! You could say par for the course almost…it’s certainly a very similar experience to my own when I started on heavies in '88. Eagerbeaver has given some practical advice don’t mistake it for him having a laugh. I used exactly that approach when needed. You’re right about agencies, there are some decent ones but they’re definitely the exception rather than the rule. Avoid if possible. Get yourself out and visit all the companies in your vicinity and be dressed ready to work in clean and tidy workwear and PPE with relevant licence/dcpc in hand. Friday can be a good day as they’re thinking of sacking someone who doesn’t cut the mustard. Monday early am too cos somebody has blown out after a weekend on the beer and there’s a loaded truck sitting there without a driver. Take copies of your cv to drop off and make follow up visits to get your face known. And remember, you only get one chance to make a good first impression!

This man knows his stuff :wink:

Make your own luck in this game folks…

I’m assuming you have a Class 2 licence and no Class 1. I used to work in that area, and unfortunately I would say it’s 80% Class 1 work. The few Class 2 jobs there are probably get snapped-up very quickly by experienced drivers.

I know it’s time, money, effort, etc, but I’d advise looking into getting your Class 1. I can name a dozen companies in the central Yorkshire area who’d kill for Class 1 drivers. You’d be pretty-much guaranteed a job, and from there you can build experience and act accordingly. I honestly think there’s just not enough Class 2 work in that area, so you’re really relying on being in the right place at the right time to get a decent rigid job.

All of the drivers I know who work for a decent, family-run tipper firm have been there for donkey’s years. I have three nearby tipper firms with rigids, and I have never seen them advertise. All of their recruitment is word of mouth, knocking on the door etc. Just being in the right place at the right time.

Rottweiler22:
I’m assuming you have a Class 2 licence and no Class 1. I used to work in that area, and unfortunately I would say it’s 80% Class 1 work. The few Class 2 jobs there are probably get snapped-up very quickly by experienced drivers.

I know it’s time, money, effort, etc, but I’d advise looking into getting your Class 1. I can name a dozen companies in the central Yorkshire area who’d kill for Class 1 drivers. You’d be pretty-much guaranteed a job, and from there you can build experience and act accordingly. I honestly think there’s just not enough Class 2 work in that area, so you’re really relying on being in the right place at the right time to get a decent rigid job.

All of the drivers I know who work for a decent, family-run tipper firm have been there for donkey’s years. I have three nearby tipper firms with rigids, and I have never seen them advertise. All of their recruitment is word of mouth, knocking on the door etc. Just being in the right place at the right time.

Rottweiller i’m in West Yorkshire not a million miles from Barnsley and I would say I have to agree however the agency and company I mentioned above take newly passed drivers on class 2, not the best work mind you but decent pay and probably typical work for class 2.

I have recently passed class 1 and whilst there are 2 companies that have offered me something (one being an unsuitable shift) and the other one at least a month away from anything happening, I haven’t heard a jot from anyone else.

Agencies not interested without six month experience which is very different from what it says on their job adverts. Haven’t gone down the route of door knocking yet as I have a full time job and very unflexible boss but may have to get out there this weekend.

Jimmy McNulty:
I have recently passed class 1 and whilst there are 2 companies that have offered me something (one being an unsuitable shift) and the other one at least a month away from anything happening, I haven’t heard a jot from anyone else.

Agencies not interested without six month experience which is very different from what it says on their job adverts. Haven’t gone down the route of door knocking yet as I have a full time job and very unflexible boss but may have to get out there this weekend.

Yes, Talstaff seem to be very big in the Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham area.

Off the top of my head, for Class 1 there are: W.H Malcolm and Turners in Castleford, Stobarts in Sherburn and Goole, Maritime in Leeds and Doncaster, BJS and JMS in Doncaster. Prestons of Potto in Pontefract. Longs of Leeds, Pawson Transport and Green Group in Rotherham. DHL, CEVA, Wincanton, etc, scattered around the area. Stobarts, Malcolms, and Turners will definitely have you with a choice of shifts, the rest depend on what’s going.

Hope something pops-up.

Rottweiler22:

Jimmy McNulty:

Yes, Talstaff seem to be very big in the Doncaster, Barnsley and Rotherham area.

Off the top of my head, for Class 1 there are: W.H Malcolm and Turners in Castleford, Stobarts in Sherburn and Goole, Maritime in Leeds and Doncaster, BJS and JMS in Doncaster. Prestons of Potto in Pontefract. Longs of Leeds, Pawson Transport and Green Group in Rotherham. DHL, CEVA, Wincanton, etc, scattered around the area. Stobarts, Malcolms, and Turners will definitely have you with a choice of shifts, the rest depend on what’s going.

Hope something pops-up.

Cheers for the info much appreciated.

Tried all three of them and heard nothing back will follow up with phone calls or heading along to the depot. Confident something will pop up.

Acriflex:
…So what I am asking is for some help as to what to do further to get my foot in the door?

I’m sorry to hear of your experience, but maybe one answer to your question above could be to resist making generalisations about Agencies just based on your (admittedly very poor) experience of 1 or 2■■?..

Acriflex:
Agencies are the spawn of Satan.

I currently have 5 months experience. And in that time, I have learnt to never trust agencies…

At 5 months Class 2 experience (all gained through one Agency) I had a job offer from the company I was then working at, which I was very happy to accept.

Acriflex:
I have applied to 139 jobs online, offline, and in person. Maybe dressed too nicely, as was in shirt and tie. And all I am getting is, “We will get back to you”. I even spent the whole of Christmas day looking for work, even though I have a family.

I am in a prime location as well, for this industry. I live in Barnsley, so I have Sheffield, Leeds, Doncaster, Rotherham and many other areas. And yet, still getting no where.

I applied for no jobs at all.

I just walked into an Agency called Driver Hire York and Harrogate a year ago with a fresh licence, DCPC and Tacho card. The following week I was driving a 3 1/2 tonner, by April I was in Class 2s and by August I had a job offer (where I still work).

I believe the Driver Hire Agencies are franchises, so my (brilliant) experience of DH in Yorkshire may be irrelevant to you as I suspect you would want to use the Leeds office ( who may be as good or they may not be and maybe you already know…)

Of course this time of year is also not the best time to find work. So If I were in your shoes, however much it might pain you I think I would be giving agencies another chance.

Booker/londis at south Elmsall are definitely looking for class 2 drivers.
There’s a sign up outside.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Appreciate all the help, and I have contacted all companies mentioned, including others mentioned in private messages.

I will continue to go out and hand out my CV.

Thank you!