Passed Class 2 - what happens now?!

Hi guys,
I have previously posted here about desire to leave office job (well paid but in no way satisfying!) and so with help of reading here on a regular basis and a few other bits and bobs passed cat c Friday last week. Found it all ok, quite straightforward.
I’m still employed for another 6 weeks at my current employer (notice period ends mid Nov).

I think my question is basically is all that counts with potential new employers experience on the road? I obviously have little experience on the road but have plenty of life experience, stable employment history having been employed same company for last 9 years with demonstrable progress up the ladder etc, (relatively!) intelligent - able to adapt and learn quickly etc - stuff which presumably should count in some way?! I’m going to have a drive round a few industrial estates in my local area to chat, cv handouts etc - is there any benefit to registering with agencies (and if so can anyone recommend a good one - Berks/Surrey area) or will they fob you off with the rubbish that no one else wants? Just to be clear I’m not allergic to hard work, on the contrary, but I’m not about to sign myself up for 5 x 14 hour shifts per week for £20k pa for example.

With regard to interviews, what is the norm to wear for a driver position, is a suit overkill or inappropriate? It would seem so.

Any advice or pointers in where to get started looking for suitable employment gratefully received.

Firstly, well done and welcome to our mad little world. My advice to you is make the most of the peak period on the agencies where you will be thrown into lots of different roles, vehicles and environments. This will help you get a better understanding of the job and the direction in which you’d like to take your career.

In terms of interview attire I’d say smart casual, ensuring you have safety boots and a high vis with you.

If you have any questions the guys on here will endeavour to help

Get your class 1

:smiley: :smiley:

I’m currently in your position, I think the best way is to sign up to agencies, this is the only way I’m getting a hint of work, yet I still haven’t had any and passed 3 weeks ago. But i do have an assessment today with Hermes courier so hopefully that will come off good.

But I have signed up to 3 agencies and this is the only promising thing at the moment.

I have applied for full time jobs but there just wanting experience.

Good luck with it all just keep applying for jobs and something will come up I’m sure.

Ok thanks guys. Yes I’ll be sorting out class 1 asap as soon as I get license back.

im in exactly the same situation as you been working an office job for around 9 years altogether 4 years in current one. have no job satisfactions at all and I feel literally miserable everyday. I have handed my notice in today. mid nov is when it will come to an end. maybe I did it prematurely as I don’t start my Cat C training until next week. but literally cannot bare it anymore. definitely going with agencies when I pass there are a few around my area. Driver Hire seems to be the best. see if they have one in your area

Hi Rob,
Join the club! Yup it got to a point with me that I made myself so miserable that I just handed in notice and told my boss I’d rather be unemployed that continue to work in the company! Feeling of relief afterwards was good. I’ve just done 2 days agency work on a class 2 having only registered with them on Monday, so maybe I’m lucky, maybe its a good agency but I wouldn’t worry about it. Once the chap in the agency realised I had a brain and came from a decent background professionally and personally that was half the battle and made him likely to give me a shot sooner rather than later. Hope it works out for you.