Older wagons still earning their corn

Heading down the M5 today

Morris FG petrol still in daily use in Penzance
Parks outside Cornish Pirates rugby ground

And very nice and tidy it looks too. It’s somebody’s pride and joy.

For the francophiles on here or BERLIET afficionados.

I was in the Dordogne over the weekend I could not help myself but pull over and take a few shots at this beauty when I saw her parked up in that yard.

I remember them very well from my childhood in the mid 80s, some of them were already bruised and battered then. They are an extremely rare sight these days, it’s been years since I last saw a working one. She is probably enjoying a fairly easy life carrying this tank around, all the tippers have long gone across the Mediterranean.

I am 99% sure this is a GBH280, a Renault-badged Berliet really.
Based on her reg she has been re-registered somewhere in the 80s so won’t teach us when she was first put on the road. I don’t know when exactly these were discontinued and replaced with the club-of-four derived CBH series (whose power ranges were extended all the way to 380hp in the early nineties). This one would date just after the forced marriage of Saviem & Berliet into Renault Véhicules Industriels (RVI) I would estimate this one to date 1979-1980.

I hope you enjoy these few modest pictures.

Regards
David

whisperingsmith:

Judging by reg. number, that’s ex- London County Council, they used them as school buses and sitting case ambulances. If my memory serves me right, although they had single rear wheels, they had the 6 cylinder 4 litre engine instead of the 2.2L 4 pot usually in the single wheelers.
Bernard

Ste46:

1949 Commer still in daily use by a Staffordshire thatcher

Steve

Steve

Yes the Commer is still in Use but not everyday as Dave runs a modern van like one of the Vauxhall type,long wheelbase like the Citroen but not quite sure.He lives in Handsacre and takes the old girl to shows.He is friendly with Edwin at Lupin Farm and he’s always at the yearly show demonstrating his skills.He will also give talks on his works.

Tony

Still plodding on, snapped Friday past, Leyland600 may want to add a bit about this wagon, as he knew one of the drivers.
Oily

IMG_6158.JPG

Seen at 103 Berth, Port Kembla, today

whisperingsmith:

nice to see an FG still in use :astonished: one of these was the very first commercial i drove on the road before i passed my Class 1 in '79.

Saw this on a recent trip to Sri Lanka. It was being filmed for (I think) an advert but looking inside it was a functioning ice cream van.

The driver was having a hard time reversing as I don’t think he could see much. Difficult with a wide body and angled doors.

I wondered if the reg was entirely fictional or if it might relate to the original no.

Skiathos, Greece.

026.JPG

025.JPG

024.JPG

The marquee firm I work for was until recently running its last Bedford TL 7.5t (Technically AWD) until the cost to keep her going became untenable. We still run a couple of Leyland Daf 45s and a LD 55 for bigger loads. Our newest member of the fleet is an 06 Daf LF, so all a touch old, but they don’t get worked very hard at all by haulage standards. All flatbeds and we still rope and sheet as well. Funny little company to work for. :slight_smile:

Working everyday moving pigs

A.W.T.1968 Transit 5.jpg

FTBlunder:
The marquee firm I work for was until recently running its last Bedford TL 7.5t (Technically AWD) until the cost to keep her going became untenable. We still run a couple of Leyland Daf 45s and a LD 55 for bigger loads. Our newest member of the fleet is an 06 Daf LF, so all a touch old, but they don’t get worked very hard at all by haulage standards. All flatbeds and we still rope and sheet as well. Funny little company to work for. :slight_smile:

Any photos FT?

John

I was talking to this lad at the Kelsall show on saturday and he was saying he is still running stone from Buxton every day on a regular basis with his V reg ERF

i remember that v reg erf new to beeson at glossop . it has passed through a few hands in it’s life , i still see it working when i’m out and about , credit to it’s owner , dave

Yes Dave he mentioned it was owned by Beesons at one time and that the twin to it was still in their yard at Glossop so I looked back at some photos I took last year and sure enough there it was.

june 2015

001.JPGA few from Skiathos, Greece.

013.JPG

008.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG