Old london firms

hi to every one is there any old drivers worked for a.t.jones in woolwich e16 in the75s to 85 had all volvos before that he had some nice scanias done lot of work for ocl .act and one driver went to turkey is name was davey crokit one trip thats when every one was runny middle east i think he got screwdfor the job wish you all well big.e . ernie

I spotted a mention of John Knight who were tallow dealers and soap manufacturers.

John Knight.jpg

This was a regular collection for us in the mid 80’s, however their history is with Lever Bros who became Unilever and Knights became part of Prosper de Mulder.

Acacia Foods Ltd,
Chettles Ltd
De Mulder & Sons Ltd
Frazer (Butchers) Ltd
Granox Ltd (Widnes)
J L Thomas and Company Ltd
John Knight (Animal By Products) Ltd
ReFood UK Ltd
Nortech Foods Ltd
Perimax (Scotland) Ltd
T Quality Ltd
Wells By Products Ltd

When the BSE / CJD scandal kicked in, there were many of these dealers went out of business and there is quite a lot of evidence that suggests feeding animals to animals wasn’t the brightest idea of scientists.

Were Knights in Silvertown?
I unloaded a few times at G L Baker’s in Knights Rd, Silvertown- phew, the smell…I remember the fellas there saying that it was from the tallow plant across the road.

Cheers, Keith

My old mate Joey Vaughn(RIP) worked for Knights for a while, I dont know how he did it what with the awful smell and conditions of the job, amazingly they made Knights Castill soap Katie Boyle used to be on the TV advertising it,ha.
Sorry it’s the lockdown getting to me .
Steve.

kmills:
Were Knights in Silvertown?
I unloaded a few times at G L Baker’s in Knights Rd, Silvertown- phew, the smell…I remember the fellas there saying that it was from the tallow plant across the road.

Cheers, Keith

Yes, it was Factory Road Silvertown but could have been changed to Knights Road since

Having an idle flip through this forum and got to thinking, is Billy Humphries still around Silvertown, just down the road from Tates?

Steve

Dodgy Permit:

Jimski:

eastender:

Dodgy Permit:
Surprised that no one has mentioned Geo Brett & Son from the East India dock.

was he the guy who dissapeared with his 10 year old son never to be seen again , I am sure some guys were convicted of their murder in the late 70s in essex

Hi Eastender been reading this thread came across your post what’s the story behind the disappearance ■■

Regards Jimski

I know a little.
George was asked to go to a location in Essex on a Sunday to do a deal on some stuff & as it was a Sunday he took his young son with him.
For whatever reason he was being lurred to a hit and they were both murdered on that day & it later turned out that the bodies were burnt & the ashes spread along the newham byepass (A13)
This was a very long time ago but I “think” that is the jist of it, still I am mindful that he still has family around (pretty sure about that) who could still find this very upsetting should they come across this forum.

wolfiewiseguy.blogspot.com/2014/ … brett.html

shutterstock.com/editorial/ … g-9073863a

While sitting waiting to tip i made a list of these old companys that may jog a few memories,the spellings may not be correct but i think you will know who they are,Titterals i think they were from south london had orange trucks,Halpin pierpoint,they done glass had a lot of tilts and flat trailers i think they were at belvedere,J C they were in bow of off old ford had green mercs an did chipboard and timber they also had an office in zeebrugge.Skillfull haulage from new cross they did fruit had some bonneted mercs,Jess b woodcocks from beckton tollgate road had scammel routmasters later had sed atks and tm bedfords they had tilts in the early 70,s did swiss and paris later did ace containers.In wapping high st there was sgh,s j selfe,L&H (Lew allington),brittitalia (dutch albert and peter dugan) they had a scania vabis 6 wheel unit,they cut the crew cab of an old D series ford recovery truck an welded it on the scania making a massive sleeper it was painted white then later mettalic blue.They took old truck axles,engines etc down to greece an maybe malta,Eddy reardon and his son had a 110 scania doing work for charringtons brewery and lastly chartermores fuel owned by jim o cane had a fleet of transcons when they first came out they used these on the top of the pops video for the record convoy it was filmed at north weald aerodrome.

What about W C Wooton (Charlie). Think I may have wrong spelling.Ran out of Bermondsey Doing timber out of the Surrey Commercial Dock.Who out there can remember them? Silver Roadways.Minories Transport giving away backloads of tractors out of Basildon.

charlie one:
What about W C Wooton (Charlie). Think I may have wrong spelling.Ran out of Bermondsey Doing timber out of the Surrey Commercial Dock.Who out there can remember them? Silver Roadways.Minories Transport giving away backloads of tractors out of Basildon.

I remember back loading tractors from Basildon when I worked for the Wild Group out of Stoke in the early '70’s

Cocoa Beans Royal docks/Timber & steel coils out of Millwall & Dagenham/ Sugar Silvertown/ Paper Purfleet & Deptford / Tracters Basildon

Minories / Convoys /Silverroadways/Sammy Williams & quite a few others written in a little Diary somewhere

woottens still going as janet green aand white jonnny red thinlking when you used to go on the island you had charringtons fuels with there long nosed mercs davis contract motors gl baldwins ucc cubit town transport northern ireland trailers evans bros chris metcalf union transport thomas meadows
g grant d transport had some nice 111 and vabis and sed atkis smith of hackney fj robertson tommy reader billy puxley lodons had a smart tk reece bros olin expreess inland transport gilbert and searle ferry transport trans t
metropolitan sand and gravel pioneer seacon steele thomas paines mortons coventry dales trinety transport spurlings millwall sugars buckleys warrington
chartermoor montigue myers which were wootten contract motors and brains

Chilton Transport out of Bromley by Bow, next to the old Bus Garage.
Bobby Fox started me off with my first driving job, when I just passed my Class 1.
Used to run Seddon Atkinsons and then I got promoted to a Marathon 2 sleeper cab.
GS

I spent most of the 70s riding up and down the A13 with my dad in his eight wheel Scammell tipper, the fims i remember most were Harris Haulage from Purfleet { green Scanias } Brain Haulage, Drapers, Cabmont, and what about RJB Neales fleet of yellow Leyland Marathons! The list of hauliers from London is endless, i have photos of many of them,i will have to sort them out. I Also remember Crow tankers, GL Baker, Milehams and BJ Myers, and Chris Hudson, i could go on all day!!!

Mark R:
I spent most of the 70s riding up and down the A13 with my dad in his eight wheel Scammell tipper, the fims i remember most were Harris Haulage from Purfleet { green Scanias } Brain Haulage, Drapers, Cabmont, and what about RJB Neales fleet of yellow Leyland Marathons! The list of hauliers from London is endless, i have photos of many of them,i will have to sort them out. I Also remember Crow tankers, GL Baker, Milehams and BJ Myers, and Chris Hudson, i could go on all day!!!

Brain haulage, i used to do a bit of traction for them out of the old magnet yard in thurrock.They had some big Js and most of the scania drivers had gold bracelets ! About six of us would turn up with only one union card,their drivers never made us feel welcome in fact some were right stuck up.

My old dad used to run out of Thurrock power station, carrying ash and pfa dust for a tipper firm called Ash Suppliers. Most of it went to a huge stock pile near Barking. Ash Suppliers had quite a big fleet at one time , mainly eight wheelers, i spent most of my school holidays with him, it probebly wouldnt be allowed now with all the health & saftey b ******ks.

Milehams had a fleet of Volvo F86’s grey with red and black signwriting.
I think they ran out of Purfleet mainly newspaper reels if my memory serves me

Mark R:

Mark do you happen to have any pics of A.E.Evans,Regent Transport ,Barking.Their yard was on Ripple Road close to the A13 near a boozer called the Ship and Shovel.They are probably long gone now.I worked for them from 1969-1979 out of their Sheffield depot and spent quite a bit of time in Barking.They ran an all AEC fleet all second hand ex Shell etc. and were in a battleship grey colour.In 1976 they started buying Marathons and I had the first one at the Sheffield depot.Like a dog with two tails I was - it earned me some dosh. :smiley: :smiley: .
Any pics or info would be greatly appreciated.

I’m sure I’ve got a picture somewhere of an AE Evans AEC tanker, did’nt they have a small sticker on the door with the name on it :confused: I’ll have a look for it and put it on.

lemonmouth:
I’m sure I’ve got a picture somewhere of an AE Evans AEC tanker, did’nt they have a small sticker on the door with the name on it :confused: I’ll have a look for it and put it on.

Thanks mate.Aye they were the ones,with a metal plate on the door “A.E.Evans Regent Transport Ltd London and Sheffield”.
The tackle was old but the money was good :smiley: :smiley: .