Old london firms

Lovely to see that old waggon, done up your style Larry. Doubt if Hamptons still going. Also there was Lancasters or Lanchesters maybe - with DG Fodens ? loaded sky high with coke, same colours as Hamptons. Similar to Pannells. Probably mid 50s. Somebody will know better than me.
Lot of these old names before the days of people taking photos, so just memories. More recently A J Bull had tidy fleet of Fodens, same area of Mitcham. All smart motors in London area. Where I was working in Kent was a firm at Dartford - Clubbs, who ran 8 wheeled Guy tippers. On a Monday morning on the A2 you’d often see a convoy of their Invincibles with a Big J running along behind them. always smart, with an Ace of Clubs on the door, smartest in Kent I’d say, but they never went journeying, not to Newcastle anyway!.
Safe Roads/ Good luck Al

Dodgy Permit:

Jimski:

eastender:

Dodgy Permit:
Surprised that no one has mentioned Geo Brett & Son from the East India dock.

was he the guy who dissapeared with his 10 year old son never to be seen again , I am sure some guys were convicted of their murder in the late 70s in essex

Hi Eastender been reading this thread came across your post what’s the story behind the disappearance ■■

Regards Jimski

I know a little.
George was asked to go to a location in Essex on a Sunday to do a deal on some stuff & as it was a Sunday he took his young son with him.
For whatever reason he was being lurred to a hit and they were both murdered on that day & it later turned out that the bodies were burnt & the ashes spread along the newham byepass (A13)
This was a very long time ago but I “think” that is the jist of it, still I am mindful that he still has family around (pretty sure about that) who could still find this very upsetting should they come across this forum.

Just type in “The murder of George Brett” on Google, there are several pages on there about it.

this is a link to a story re this in the guadian archive hope the link work shttp://gu.com/p/pc3h

Thanks Haddy and Fredm, I understand the delicateness of the matter and thanks .

Regards Jimski

My dad worked for lancasters and hamptons of mitcham for years and had loads of stories,and a j bull was in the same yard where i still work but it is Sita now.a j bull took over lots of south london firms eg.Marco,Penfold,catlan bannock,glovers of mitcham,thomas bros of kingston and many more. going back to Hamptons i have fond memories of the lorries as i was always with my dad,so since 1958 til now i am still in the same yard.

My grandads firm was quite a well known london firm R.a.m Transport he also worked for an run the likes of G.l bakers,davis’,j&h haulage,woodcocks and a few others he was also part of one of the biggest trucking families from the east end the muggletons

image.jpg

Hi steevo im H Sibbons granddaughter & would love to know where the old Sibbons motor is now, who took the picture & when??
My dad is Dave Sibbons who became a director of the firm in the 50’s.
thanks. truckersareus1. Sharon.

Steevo:
Close up

Hi steevo im H Sibbons granddaughter & trucky1955 showed me these pics you originally put on here & me & my dad (dave sibbons) would love to know where this old motor is when & who took the picture. I have pm’d you. thanks, Sharon.

Chris Webb:

lemonmouth:
Yes you are correct Chris, :laughing: J&H Moore’s yard is still in the same place in Leighton Buzzard near the Test Station, but I’m sure their main place was Hayes, had Dark blue and red wagons, I’ve got a picture of one of their Scammells somewhere, I’ll put it on when I find it - with the other ones :unamused:

Thanks for that pal,I won’t be fretting tonight now. :smiley:

Merry Xmas to you and all others on the forum.
Just going to open some Xmas spirit. :grimacing:

My brother drove for J.H Moores , as i recall they had cream motors with maroon writing mostly fodens I think , I know my bro turned one over in warrington & had to be cut out , after which a copper asked him for his log sheet !!! after having a head injury seen to he got bored &walked out of hospital & decided to go to the pictures , the hospital had the police out looking for him as they thought he’d got cuncussion & wandered off !!
:smiley:

How about
Stokes…Yellow and Green Dafs
Knights…They used to collect Blood from local slaughter houses
Defoy
Wonderloaf

toomanybikes:
How about
Stokes…Yellow and Green Dafs
Knights…They used to collect Blood from local slaughter houses
Defoy
Wonderloaf

I remember Stokes had a yard in creek road barking.I think coltons have the yard now.

i am looking for any pictures of crow carring company trucks from around 1960s/1970 i believe they where all scammells around that time ,my step father who is in his mid 80s drove for them from there barking depot says that they where contracted to chevron,shell,esso and gem petrolium any pics would really make his day as he has none

go get trucked:
i am looking for any pictures of crow carring company trucks from around 1960s/1970 i believe they where all scammells around that time ,my step father who is in his mid 80s drove for them from there barking depot says that they where contracted to chevron,shell,esso and gem petrolium any pics would really make his day as he has none

Crow’s Silvertown Depot in the late 1960s / early 1970s.

Crow Silvertown Depot.jpg

go get trucked:

That’s a grand photo Graham,I remember them very well when I worked for A E Evans.They had a depot at Widnes,I think it was on Tan House Lane.

There’s Crow Carrying thread on here,just do a search,bags of photos.

screaming alice:
Lovely to see that old waggon, done up your style Larry. Doubt if Hamptons still going. Also there was Lancasters or Lanchesters maybe - with DG Fodens ? loaded sky high with coke, same colours as Hamptons. Similar to Pannells. Probably mid 50s. Somebody will know better than me.
Lot of these old names before the days of people taking photos, so just memories. More recently A J Bull had tidy fleet of Fodens, same area of Mitcham. All smart motors in London area. Where I was working in Kent was a firm at Dartford - Clubbs, who ran 8 wheeled Guy tippers. On a Monday morning on the A2 you’d often see a convoy of their Invincibles with a Big J running along behind them. always smart, with an Ace of Clubs on the door, smartest in Kent I’d say, but they never went journeying, not to Newcastle anyway!.
Safe Roads/ Good luck Al

Hi, just joined this forum and started looking through some of the posts. With regards to Hamptons - I worked for Maskells in Brixton as a mechanic in the 1960s and they built a lot of the bodies for Hamptons Foden’s back then. I took one or two new ones to the Weights & Measures office in Borough High St to be calibrated and weighed. In later years I also worked for Pannells in their yard in Vauxhall and then In the early 1980 I worked for A.J. Bull in Mitcham.

Chris Webb:
I think the name of yer man on Pump Lane,Hayes was J.H.Moores or something akin to that.
Somebody let me know if I’m right or I won’t rest tonight. :grimacing: :laughing: :laughing:

I worked at Plant enginering
In the late 70s
With a few of Moore’s drivers
And Roger Annis his father started
Annis haulage.
Many a stories these guys told me
Happy times.

Toetruck:
My dad worked for lancasters and hamptons of mitcham for years and had loads of stories,and a j bull was in the same yard where i still work but it is Sita now.a j bull took over lots of south london firms eg.Marco,Penfold,catlan bannock,glovers of mitcham,thomas bros of kingston and many more. going back to Hamptons i have fond memories of the lorries as i was always with my dad,so since 1958 til now i am still in the same yard.

Ever so slightly late with this reply, but my father worked for Lancasters. He was on an ex army Bedford artic. Don’t remember much more except that I think it was green.

Hi all, don’t suppose anyone has any picture’s of WBS trucks from south London in the 80/90s when they had the Kawasaki contract.