Re: Sittingbourne firms of the 60/70and80s do u remember any

Hello all, New and Old … I was wondering if there were any old Kent lorry drivers out there who maybe had worked or possibly remember William Elvy in sittingbourne … Or any of the old firms of the 60s to the 80s in or around the swale area …I started my working life at Elvy s .and loved the early days going around the local farms colleting all the fruit and veg ,taking it back to the yard ,sorting it all out ,then loading up the waggons for all the london markets … the fields, garden…stratford ,and borough … Thous were the days ,learnt so much of life… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Any infomation would make my day … thanks…

For a short time I worked for a guy,John Smith ?,who operated powder tankers for Schmidt of Heilbron.He had a depot in Sittingbourne with a mangy alsatian guard dog.

Thanks Gidders ,but i dont know of john smith [apart from the beer] :question: was he a local firm?

Rather than replicate stuff that’s already on here: there are innumerable references to Sittingbourne transport firms on the Kent Transport thread. Have a look there first - here’s the link:

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 35&t=65996

:wink:

Thanks ERF…NEC…But i have seen that thread before …I was hoping for any photo.s of elvy,s waggons that have not been put on this fourm …Or any ex drivers with story,s about there time there… I remember when bob french was transport manager. Bill was still IN Charge and Peggy Thorne was a director … Then there was Suncrush [ Mr Seamour ] to others, but to all us employers Suncrush was his nick name,. What days …

WHYMAJIM118:
Thanks ERF…NEC…But i have seen that thread before …I was hoping for any photo.s of elvy,s waggons that have not been put on this fourm …Or any ex drivers with story,s about there time there… I remember when bob french was transport manager. Bill was still IN Charge and Peggy Thorne was a director … Then there was Suncrush [ Mr Seamour ] to others, but to all us employers Suncrush was his nick name,. What days …

Fair comment. I’ll keep my eyes and ears pealed! :smiley:

WHYMAJIM118:
Hello all, New and Old … I was wondering if there were any old Kent lorry drivers out there who maybe had worked or possibly remember William Elvy in sittingbourne … Or any of the old firms of the 60s to the 80s in or around the swale area …I started my working life at Elvy s .and loved the early days going around the local farms colleting all the fruit and veg ,taking it back to the yard ,sorting it all out ,then loading up the waggons for all the london markets … the fields, garden…stratford ,and borough … Thous were the days ,learnt so much of life… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Any infomation would make my day … thanks…

Heres a clipping mucker from 1969. :wink:

ford elvy kent 69.PNG

I started as a sub-contractor with Elvy in 70s it was when Bill Puxley had just taken over from Bill Elvy and Russ was transport manager,I had a Ford four wheeler and later a AEC Mandator unit painted in Elvys colours working mostly out of Milton pipes, over the years I worked with lots of firms out of Sittingbourne and Sheppey Flocko

WHYMAJIM118:
Thanks Gidders ,but i dont know of john smith [apart from the beer] :question: was he a local firm?

Sorry.I don’t recall much about him.He was a decent guy to work for and I was only there for a few months.He contacted me via a 3rd.party who knew I was an experienced powder tanker driver.His home base was a long way from my home.

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH DEANB …Marvellous :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .Just what i,ve been looking for… One of Bill Elvy,s D Series all ■■■■ and span ready to go :smiley: That will go into my photo album with the other two… If anybody got some more i would be very grateful :stuck_out_tongue: Flocko Yes i do remember when puxley took over :unamused: not one of his big fans found him strange but he did bring in some good new tackle, Volvo,s F7,S, F10,S .88,S AND Others , We had a nice fleet … NOW you mentioned Russ [ Russell] Well he happens to be my very very best mate who i have known since i started at elvy,s when i left school … 46 years we have been together at various companys around kent …He has retired but still kicking Mid 80,s now . JOHN R TRIGGS is his full name… What a good man :smiley: :smiley: When puxley packed up elvy;s both of us left …

The last time I saw Russ he was running The transport office for CLS in Blue town pulling out of Sheerness steel mill,I was an o/driver working direct out of the Mill and used to loan the odd trailer from him good to know he is still around

thats right flocko or is it flockton? Well u must remember ME jamie whyman used to work of Ray Simpson out of the mill too… and CLS :smiley:

Or u may remember the cannon ball kid :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

WHYMAJIM118:
OH THANK YOU SO MUCH DEANB …Marvellous :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .Just what i,ve been looking for… One of Bill Elvy,s D Series all ■■■■ and span ready to go :smiley: That will go into my photo album with the other two… If anybody got some more i would be very grateful :stuck_out_tongue: Flocko Yes i do remember when puxley took over :unamused: not one of his big fans found him strange but he did bring in some good new tackle, Volvo,s F7,S, F10,S .88,S AND Others , We had a nice fleet … NOW you mentioned Russ [ Russell] Well he happens to be my very very best mate who i have known since i started at elvy,s when i left school … 46 years we have been together at various companys around kent …He has retired but still kicking Mid 80,s now . JOHN R TRIGGS is his full name… What a good man :smiley: :smiley: When puxley packed up elvy;s both of us left …

No worries,heres a clipping about them. :wink: “MarkR” is your man who has some pics,will ask him to pop on here.

August 1955.

Hi Jamie You got me, takes me back as you know I also used to help Ray(RIP) out over the years from his JWQ days onwards.I am still in contact with Ron his old fitter he is still working as hard as ever, keeps saying he going to pack it in

Hi flockton old mate …Yes Ray Simpson i knew he had passed the last i saw him was in asda in gravesend …he did not look well then Sad … :frowning: Is Ray Grandsen still going ? … Dont get to see or visit the island anymore as i moved up to west Yorkshire in 2001 and now work part time at morrisons at j41 wakefield , nights , much more a easy life NOW after all those long hours with Ray … Just a couple more years and thats it, had enough not like the good old days, It would be great to catch up with some of the old crew… so many memories…

Yes Ray and Alan still around, He gave up the yard and works from home as far as I know still does some landrovers and the like for his farmer mates,I moved to Dover 20 years ago and packed up working, I though at 52 I had done my bit, but still active looking after the peacocks, ducks, chickens, dog and mowing, all help to keeps me out of trouble with the wife John Flocko

My dad started at William Elvy straight from school in the early 60s and worked in the workshop with a bloke called Pat. After passing his HGV he continued working for Elvys and various other local haulage firms until he sadly got Multiple Sclerosis and had to retire.
Ironically he now lives in the old people’s home which was built on the site of William Elvys yard and named Elvy Court after Bill Elvy. On dad’s wall is a photo of one of Elvys F88s taken in the yard many years ago when Bill Puxley was running it.
Drivers i remember were Colin Silcock, Barry Brown, Colin Eldridge and Graham Pask to name a few… My dad is Dave Robinson.

You do right flocko The job is not like it use to be… Two many spys and cameras watching … Cannot do the job u r paid to do…Well it looks like u have your hands full with all those animals, good luck …

THANKS DAVE D I remember all of them names you mention I vagley remember your father Sorry to here of his plight ,so sad :frowning: :frowning: … Colin sillcock sadly past a few years ago, do;nt know if anyone else has … A few other names u may remember ;, Harry Ward. Colin Shaw. Ray Norris Dave Kemp Tony Simmons in the workshop And my uncle Eric Kettley …I try a few more after a good think :question: :slight_smile: