Old companies in lincolnshire 1980's - 1990's

steptoe:
phillybob71 this one should be right up your street.

Fantastic pic steptoe, love it, and the old north lincs haulage ones. Put the reg of the F7 in dvla and apparently its still taxed till sept. Wonder where she is.

phillybob71:

steptoe:
phillybob71 this one should be right up your street.

Fantastic pic steptoe, love it, and the old north lincs haulage ones. Put the reg of the F7 in dvla and apparently its still taxed till sept. Wonder where she is.

Lo and behold, a little bit of browsing on here and its in the colours of T French and Sons

can remember a lot of thes companys from when i was a kid!!

brings back some memories, have some pics of my dads scania he had for jw cousins on powder tanks somewhere.

rich12:
what about wr carters from owmby by spital,they have been going for years they always had a tidy fleet of red volvos and scannys,they used to do alot of work out of kp foods at grimsby,and kp at ashby,they also have got a website.

still have a tidy fleet, no scanias anymore though.all volvo! a mate drives for them now

have you seen the other cousins pics ive put up spannerman?

yes i have!! my dad had their 113 with a tipper powder tank for a few years, have some pics after it had been resprayed, will dig them out for you

hi spannerman,just sent u an email mate

the spannerman:

nice pics mate

anybody got any russ fenwick photos thanks rowland

Chris Webb:

budley:
Here’s a few names from the past from the brigg area, unfortunately no photo’s-

W.GRAHAM
GLENDALE REPAIRS
FM &JE LEA
HUMBERSIDE TRANSPORT SERVICES
A.B & R YULE
BRIGG HAULAGE
PETER CARTER
CG&R BOOTH (BARTON)
SINGLETON BIRCH (MELTON ROSS)
JULIAN J HAIR

W.Singleton Birch were the owners of the limeworks at Melton Ross weren’t they? I remember the wagons ran in a grey livery.

Chris Webb:

Lillykins:
Now then from a Welton lass. This has brought back some memories. My Dad worked for most of the Lincoln firms in his time. Barker & Lee Smiths, Piggy Wrights, Scotts Transport, Smiths crisps. As a young lass I used to travel everywhere with him in the school holidays. He used to make me get in the back and shift the load around for him. No wonder I’m now married to a trucker.

Eyup Welton lass :laughing: .
Barker and Lee Smith ran Commer two strokes years ago and they had a driver based in Sheffield.IIRC the wagon headboard was shaped like a cow or summat similar and the company name fitted in it.They were in a green and cream livery I think.
Any photos?

Hello Welton Lass

My Dad Frank Frost drove for Barkers & Lee Smith for 20 years.In actual fact the lorries were owned by J Kime & Son of 40 Drake Street Lincoln and were in Barkers livery.In the late 70’s they re-located to a brand new purpose built yard and garage on Great Northern Terrace, it was only after Mr Kime passed away that Barkers ran their own fleet of lorries.

Hi Chris,

I knew the driver based in Sheffield,his name was Brian Mills,sadly he passed away 6 years ago.He started employment with Barkers & Lee Smith in 1960 and retired in 1999.Barkers & Lee Smith were taken over in 1976 by Pauls & Whites Foods Ltd latterly known as Pauls Agriculture Ltd.In 1985 they re-located to Shepshed,Leicestershire where I worked with Brian for 10 years,Brian and his wife Doreen moved from Sheffield to Shepshed.Barkers lorries were green and the chassis and wheels were black,they had the royal warrant above the company name on the front of the cab and the name “Barkers” was in the shape of a cow on the door’s of the vehicles and if it was a bulker on the side of the body also.I have many fond memories of going with my Dad in the lorry back in the Barkers days.I have some photo’s that I can upload.

Hi Jackfrost:

I well remember the Barkers lorries. If I remember correctly, they would have a new one every year on display at the Lincolnshire Show. I think the Commers were on the stand of Campions of Lincoln.

If you have some pics, would very much like to see them. I always admired the Barkers fleet.

phillybob71:

Hi Phillybob about 42 years ago when I was driving for A.Brown & Sons of Epworth I was heading for Walkers Crisps at Leicester
with a load of record potatoes on a bulker trailer. I don’t remember where but some where round Brigg or that area and I stopped
for a young lad hitch hiking, he would have been in his teens . He told me he was mad on lorries and wanted to be a lorry driver,
said he got to ride with Cousins drivers a lot. He asked me where I was going and I said Leicester and he asked if he could ride along
as second man me being a soft touch said yes and off to Leicester we went (you would get 10 years for kidnap now) He had such a
passion for lorries and he reminded me of myself bunking off school to ride with Tommy Brears. I often wondered if he became a
Cousins driver ? regards Big Al

[/quote]
Hello Welton Lass

My Dad Frank Frost drove for Barkers & Lee Smith for 20 years.In actual fact the lorries were owned by J Kime & Son of 40 Drake Street Lincoln and were in Barkers livery.In the late 70’s they re-located to a brand new purpose built yard and garage on Great Northern Terrace, it was only after Mr Kime passed away that Barkers ran their own fleet of lorries.

Hi Chris,

I knew the driver based in Sheffield,his name was Brian Mills,sadly he passed away 6 years ago.He started employment with Barkers & Lee Smith in 1960 and retired in 1999.Barkers & Lee Smith were taken over in 1976 by Pauls & Whites Foods Ltd latterly known as Pauls Agriculture Ltd.In 1985 they re-located to Shepshed,Leicestershire where I worked with Brian for 10 years,Brian and his wife Doreen moved from Sheffield to Shepshed.Barkers lorries were green and the chassis and wheels were black,they had the royal warrant above the company name on the front of the cab and the name “Barkers” was in the shape of a cow on the door’s of the vehicles and if it was a bulker on the side of the body also.I have many fond memories of going with my Dad in the lorry back in the Barkers days.I have some photo’s that I can upload.
[/quote]
If I remember right he lived out towards Hillsborough. he would do local drops and run back to Lincoln to reload for the next day. I do know he picked me up very late one night at the A57/A1 island near Worksop. I was in the RAF at the time so would have been 1960-62 time,he had a Commer TS3 four-wheeler.I’d like to see the photos. :smiley:

Big Al:

phillybob71:

Hi Phillybob about 42 years ago when I was driving for A.Brown & Sons of Epworth I was heading for Walkers Crisps at Leicester
with a load of record potatoes on a bulker trailer. I don’t remember where but some where round Brigg or that area and I stopped
for a young lad hitch hiking, he would have been in his teens . He told me he was mad on lorries and wanted to be a lorry driver,
said he got to ride with Cousins drivers a lot. He asked me where I was going and I said Leicester and he asked if he could ride along
as second man me being a soft touch said yes and off to Leicester we went (you would get 10 years for kidnap now) He had such a
passion for lorries and he reminded me of myself bunking off school to ride with Tommy Brears. I often wondered if he became a
Cousins driver ? regards Big Al

Does make you wonder if he did Al, or where he did end up. Cousins have sadly now pretty much closed their gates, dropping down from 14 to just 2 lorries after 82 years. I take it you are an Epworth lad. Can’t say i’ve heard of Browns, but i will ask my mother as she was from there.

i had heard that and told my dad, to which his response was B****kS! :smiley: :laughing:

things must be bad if they have dropped that many :cry:

rward:
anybody got any russ fenwick photos thanks rowland

Carl Fenwick at Olivers Mount this weekend :stuck_out_tongue:

I know it doesn’t really count.

Russ Fenwick.JPG

Carl Fenwick.JPG

I remember Cliff Johnson.

Johnsons Haulage. Scunthorpe and Goole

the spannerman:
i had heard that and told my dad, to which his response was B****kS! :smiley: :laughing:

things must be bad if they have dropped that many :cry:

Get the impression they are doing it themselves before the bank does it for em