Old companies in lincolnshire 1980's - 1990's

IMG01_0009.jpg

IMG01_0012.jpg

IMG01_0014.jpg

A couple more of John Somerscales. Old and new.

Somebody mentioned Grimers. Picture taken 2001 at their 50th anniversary do.

Nice looking fleet, shame we don’t see them now.
Bernard

Wheel Nut:

back in black:
Northwall in Grimsby finished mid nineties? Seemed to coincide with dfds moving to immingham. CLS became part of PD Logistics and still have yard on Midland Rd in Scunthorpe. Don’t know about Smaller but remember the name.

I think Chris Smaller went out of the transport business around 2000, were they in Goole at one time?

chris smaller,later became GLOBAL SHIPPING!!!

hi anybody got pics of russ fenwick f89s scunthorpe thanks rowland

IMG_0001.jpg

Nice to see a Chris smaller lorry being posted, that must be one of the first FL’s made on a C plate. My first driving job was for Smallers when I was 21, I drove a T reg F7 day cab at first with a flat trailer running fertilizer from Fisons/Hydro. I called in at the yard in Stallingborough to ask for a job the day I passed my test and Chris said somebody has to give you a chance lad, it might aswell be me, and gave me a start date and time for the next week. I went straight back to the garage I worked in and put my notice in. It was good of him realy as at the time you normally needed to be 25 and have expirience to get a start anywhere. He was a good payer aswell, all hourly pay, and at that time percentage was mostly the norm in this area, and its still the only lorry driving job I ever had where you clocked in and out every day you where back in the yard.

The only picture i have of a Smallers lorry, not worlds most glamerous lorry but I was king of the road in it, and its loads better than a day cab F7.

Saw a couple of photos of Cartwright Bros earlier in the thread does anybody know if Les who was known as the Tartan Twist Lock is still around. Eddie.

Wheel Nut:
Just watching the IOM TT and was reminded about Russ Fenwick Haulage. - Carl Fenwick

Was W H Martin any connection to Guy Martin. I know he worked in his Dads garage in Kirmington.

Hi there there is no connection with guy and w h martin guy worked for his dad ian martin who works out of r k hurst’s old yard at caistor. but now working in grimsby for mick moody

Wheel Nut:

bubbleman:
Hi Tanktrotter,heres a shot of the 140 taken in Port Talbot…any idea if the 112 is from Lincs?

Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Jackson (Rasen) and a Lincolnshire registration says it is, Market Rasen. Could it be AD Jackson Transport?

scania 112 was owned by pete jackson market rasen and was driven by sam sutton. they pulled for greeves & laming out of grimsby. the scania was the first 112 they sold at grimsby and the first they recabbed after smash up near market rasen.

phillybob71:

wills0411:
hi all. My dad used to drive for thompsons in the late 1980s early 1990s. He used to drive a mercedes 2035 powerliner i think that was the model anyway. I have spoke to him and im going to get some photos and upload them. But i was wondering if any of you guys had any pictures of thompsons yard in crowle or any of their trucks. His name was pete wilson if any of you recall

Be good to see some Thompsons pics if you have any wills

i have finally obtained some pics of the old thompsons truck from late 70s right through to early nineties before seafield bought out thompson and martiin group. i will be uploading these once i get my printer sorted as i have lost the flipping disc to install it.

Here’s a few names from the past from the brigg area, unfortunately no photo’s-

W.GRAHAM
GLENDALE REPAIRS
FM &JE LEA
HUMBERSIDE TRANSPORT SERVICES
A.B & R YULE
BRIGG HAULAGE
PETER CARTER
CG&R BOOTH (BARTON)
SINGLETON BIRCH (MELTON ROSS)
JULIAN J HAIR

budley:

W.GRAHAM
GLENDALE REPAIRS
FM &JE LEA
A.B & R YULE
BRIGG HAULAGE
PETER CARTER
CG&R BOOTH (BARTON)
JULIAN J HAIR

W.Singleton Birch were the owners of the limeworks at Melton Ross weren’t they? I remember the wagons ran in a grey livery.

Hobson Bros ran a fleet of O Type petrol Bedfords at the top end of Marsh Lane, not too far from Thompson’s yard in Crowle. Over 50 years ago I bought an ex Hobson motor from George Dowson (a local farmer) for £45-00 and with a lot of help from my good mate Tommy Brears started a coal round buying coal from Hatfield pit for £5 per ton and reselling at £7 per ton, £2 per ton profit cash in hand. A few years later I bought Tommy Brears TK Bedford, Tommy had been running an S type Bedford then he bought a TK Bedford the ex demo motor from Thomsons the Vauxhall & Bedford on York road Doncaster. The reg was 6572 DT Tommy replaced this TK with a second one reg 710 LDT and eventually upgraded to a new 6 wheeler Albion Reiver. I only have one picture of my old TK Bedford, the young man pictured in the cab is my nephew Wayne Russell Moore ( he is 50 next week, Tempis Fugit) I drove a time or two for Cody Whiteley, mainly bricks out of Belton Brickyard, he ran a blue S type Bedford. I also used to help Eddy Hackney out, he ran two S type Bedfords out of a yard near Belton Brickyard, the other driver was Eric Jackson from Belton.

At the age of 10 I worked for Bert Lowthorpe, he ran a haulage company out of Mill Road Crowle (the old Prisoner of war camp), I collected eggs and fed the chickens on a Saturday morning but my real love was his fleet of lorries. The fleet had just been denationalised and I seem to remember Leyland 8 wheelers. Ken Chapman, Tony Whitely were drivers there, there was also a guy who went on to drive for North Lincs Haulage, I cannot remember his name but I remember him buying Bert Lowthorpe’s Ford V8 pilot car. I think he ended up at CLS and ended his days in the yard there.

regards Big Al

Just remembered the Lowthorpe drivers first name, he went on to drive at North Lincs and CLS he was called Howard

regards Big Al

Big Al:
Just remembered the Lowthorpe drivers first name, he went on to drive at North Lincs and CLS he was called Howard

regards Big Al

My brain works slowly now a days the name I was looking for Howard Gravel, a real lorry driver

regards Bigh Al

Chris Webb:

budley:

W.GRAHAM
GLENDALE REPAIRS
FM &JE LEA
A.B & R YULE
BRIGG HAULAGE
PETER CARTER
CG&R BOOTH (BARTON)
JULIAN J HAIR

W.Singleton Birch were the owners of the limeworks at Melton Ross weren’t they? I remember the wagons ran in a grey livery.

Yes they ran fodens, leylands etc. Mainly 8 wheelers if i remember correctly. Most were delivering to the steelworks at scunny, rotherham, and sheffield.

I recognise that outline . thats Alan Barber senior , still bobbing around in an f12 working for tarmac , got up to capours when we was at OTS :smiley:

IMG_0003.jpg

phillybob71 this one should be right up your street.