Old Cafe's

Kate:

KW:
**And what was the name of the one on the old A45 from Cambridge to St Neots?**Just off a roundabout.The Comfort? Or was The Comfort on the A11?
Memory is getting bad. :cry:

That would be the Enterprise Cafe. Excellent breakfast I seem to rememberā€¦[/

food was good but the carpark tested your roping skills

CHARLIE ONE You mentioned the Blue Pencil Cafe which was as you say on the A23 at County Oak near Crawley, I remember going in there with my dad and his mates in the early 50s, that must have been the first cafe I ever went in. There was also a cafe by the Longbridge Roundabout in Horley but cannot remember what it was called.

CHASLAD Trying to remember the cafe at Longbridge rounderbout. Was it Jims. There has to be someone out there who can tell ous.

Copied the following from a different thread:

DafMad:
Sorry all ive already posted this on the wrong site [old age or dementia].Anyway anybody out there remember the name of the cafe facing showground on the a47 coming into norwich from kings lynn.

one flew over the cuckoos nest

spardo.
Thx a lot it shows how bad im getting ive posted it twice on the same site.By the way it might look like im mad but the name is dafdave,many thx again for the correction.

regards dave

If the cafe on the longbridge r/about was called Jim`s it does not ring a bell with me. I remember this cafe stayed open a fair bit longer than the Blue Pencil, Iā€™m sure I went in there in the late 70s when I was van driving, but it was such a long time ago.

dafdave:
spardo.
Thx a lot it shows how bad im getting ive posted it twice on the same site.By the way it might look like im mad but the name is dafdave,many thx again for the correction.

regards dave

Sorry Dave, this dementia thing must be catching - no, hang on a minute, I already had it, so it canā€™t be you. :confused: :confused: :confused: :unamused: :laughing:

How about Kates Cabin on the A1 at Castor.Used to be one of the best on the A1.Called in there this summer on the way to York.What a change! Looked terrible.Shame.

It was fine when my spanish friend Maria was in charge with her gorgeous husband. I always wondered where she went to. Liz

Yes indeed young lady.I had been going there for years.The food was always great and the place was always clean.Very sorry to see it go downhill.

Charlie, thanks for the young lady bit, you made my day. LOL. :laughing: Liz

scanialady142:
Charlie, thanks for the young lady bit, you made my day. LOL. :laughing: Liz

Donā€™t mean to be ungallant Liz, but everything is relative. To Charlie and me anyone still working is young. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Never mind about Davids ungallant remark.To him and myself,everone is young! Especially you.

Well you might like to know kieth that doggetts is open again not sure what they call it now but it has all been refurbished new showers the lot and is quite impressive. I just hope it gets the use oterwise it to will be gone.

OK. Lets get my old thinking head on.What about Berts Gone Mad At Bagshot. Opposite was the Dolly Varden. Great breakfast. Carry on down the A30 Just outside Basingstoke at Hatch was the Rainbow.Some very fit nubile young ladies used to work in there.Other end of Bas was the Towers. Next along was the Blue Hut.All gone.Mind you some of them are not missed!

Does anyone remember ā€œThe Coleumā€ cafe on the A19 between Selby and Doncaster.

There were some gorgeous blonde girls who used to serve in there I think it was a family owned business and the waitresses were the daughters of the owners. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

What was the name of the cafe on the old rd out of sutton bridge. It was a white cottage with a layby opposite . The food was good and plentiful and the ladys that ran it [i think it was family owned] were very nice to look at.

Hows about the Half Acre at Lydney on the A48.One of the best lunches on the road.Is it still open?

dafdave:
What was the name of the cafe on the old rd out of sutton bridge. It was a white cottage with a layby opposite . The food was good and plentiful and the ladys that ran it [i think it was family owned] were very nice to look at.

I remember it well Dave, but canā€™t help with the name. Didnā€™t you just kick yourself coming along a bit too quickly because the layby looked full and then, too late, you saw the gap in the middle just big enough to give you a good meal? :smiling_imp: Still, next stop was Haroldā€™s 24 Hour Cafe at Fleet Hargate, which used to be brilliant until he built the motel opposite and started chasing the tourist trade. :unamused:
After that, heading for Grantham, there was one right in the middle of Donnington. Those were the days when you could park all over a village and nobody complained. Canā€™t remember the name of that either. :confused: :blush: :cry:

Spardo:

dafdave:

I remember it well Dave, but canā€™t help with the name. Didnā€™t you just kick yourself coming along a bit too quickly because the layby looked full and then, too late, you saw the gap in the middle just big enough to give you a good meal? :smiling_imp: Still, next stop was Haroldā€™s 24 Hour Cafe at Fleet Hargate, which used to be brilliant until he built the motel opposite and started chasing the tourist trade. :unamused:
After that, heading for Grantham, there was one right in the middle of Donnington. Those were the days when you could park all over a village and nobody complained. Canā€™t remember the name of that either. :confused: :blush: :cry:

I canā€™t remember the name of the cafe on the A52 in Donington,Spardo but it was an all-nighter in the 60ā€™s.I was in the RAF at Feltwell near Brandon and used to get lifts from Kings Lynn with Turners drivers from their Costessey,Norwich depot on the Manchester trunk with a Grantham changeover.Used to call there regular.
Turners were running BMCā€™s ,Bedfords and LAD cabbed Dodges then. :smiley:
Anybody on here who knew any of their Norwich drivers around 1960-63?